JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This jeep is replacing my last 3 JK's. I know to many its a step backwards, but I believe it will suit my needs the best. It started life as a stock 05 Rubicon LJ. KMA is in the process of stretching the rear axle back 5". Adding 14" coilovers up front and Rubicon Express 2.5" Progressive rate coils. The coils will be mounted on custom coil mounts made by KMA for a total of 4" of lift. We are planning on using Genright rear shock mounts and 2" King Emulsion shocks with a 14" stroke. KMA is in the process of building the cage and custom fenders. KMA Fab is a great custom fab shop and I am loving the progress they are making. KMA is using a Rubicon Express long arm lift and then tweaking to meet the needs of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Good looking welds on that fender :beer:

Looks like a pretty sick build...will be following

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I am getting excited.

Here is a shot of the coil mounts. Scott cut out the gas tank cross member and moved it back 5" then built a new body mount. It came out sweet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fenders started with a formed steel inner then KMA sized up the flare, then trimmed the fender for fitting the flare. The entire fender is made of 3/16 and is very strong. The inner still needs to be built and a plastic add on extension to the flare will be added for street driving. Goal is a unique usable flare. One of the things that bothers me with some many tube fenders is that the front and rear flares don't match in height so of course mine will be the same height thanks to KMA.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suspension shots - Cut through the frame on rear. KMA installed a 1" body lift but when cut through the frame moved the back section of frame up to fit the standard body mounts for a better departure angle. In these pics, testing tweaked Rubicon Express suspension, everything is tacked. We are adding gussets to the rear frame cut through. Both axles are getting 19-20% of angle flex.
Frame Cut through-will add gussets

2" Body lift

1" body mount in rear

Rear RE suspension and sway bar

Rear flex

Front trackbar bracket

Front coilover mounts

Front flex

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys KMA Fab (stralph) is a top notch company.

Gas tank mounting, cut out the rear cross member and replace with 2x2" tubing to raise the gas tank. Added shock hoop support that also supports the front of the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Nice build! My buddy is doing a similar build with 42s on an LJ. He's planning on doing coilovers in the rear also though, he may like this option better!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nice build! My buddy is doing a similar build with 42s on an LJ. He's planning on doing coilovers in the rear also though, he may like this option better!
Thanks

Drove it for the first time. It drives great but needs a Hemi, I think the 3.8 in my JKs would easily out run it. Thanks to KMA Fabrication for a great build, can't wait until its finished.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Touching base on the build. Wheeled it today. Front sway bar is a tera flex that was unlocked. Damn thing squeaks like crazy but allows good flex. The rear Genright sway bar limits too much when connected but drives so great on the street. Any ideas other than removing one link when I get to the trail would be appreciated. Few pics so you can see what I mean with rear swaybar hooked up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts