JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Home depot to get the elbows for the relocation of evap canister. No luck finding the 90 deg. brass 3/4" elbows. Please confirm that 3/4" is the correct size. Looked in the plumbing section of the store...Correct? The only 3/4" brass elbows I found, were not the ones that I saw in the picture. They were like $6- $7 apiece and the shape was curved, not square like the pics posted here...A part # would probably help also, if available.The other question I had was about the bolts...I know, 1" long, but approx what diameter are they? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
if your having a tuff time finding parts just order the woods relocation kit its top notch fits great and all the parts ar there for you and all stainless hardware

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe i will do that instead, as without the specific/ correct info- I'm like Dr. Frankenstein building a dangerous monster...

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I had no problem finding 5/8" (not 3/4") elbows at Home Depot, but check Lowes, Ace or a plumbing supply warehouse. I could most probably pick you up some and mail them to if you can't find them.

I used 3/8" stainless bolts, 1-1/2" long I think, with some fender washers on top and some silicone under them to seal them in good.

While some people use 5/8" ID heater hose, I used marine A1 fuel use, which offers better protection against heat from the exhaust and unlike heater hose is designed for fuel.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi StubEXrube,

The 90 degree elbows are 3/4" and they are across the sprinkler section at my local Home depot. Bag of 5 are only $4.87. The bolts were 1/4" stainless with locking washers, plus oversized flat washers on both ends. I didn't use any sealant as on the top side of the floor, there is a factory applied material that crushes down when you tighten the bolts and created a great seal with the washers used. The fuel line is actual fuel line purchased at Napa Auto parts. Like PhilD said, offers better protection against heat from the exhaust and unlike heater hose, is designed for fuel. That was $1.69 ft. and 3 feet is what i used.

The Woods kit is great, I agree. I just like to do some things myself as it's more fun and challenging. Plus more satisfying when you're done and it works well. I also made my own intake system which has worked great with 15,000 miles on it so far and not one problem even driving through close to 3 feet of water.

Hope this helps. :beer:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I didn't use any sealant as on the top side of the floor, there is a factory applied material that crushes down when you tighten the bolts and created a great seal with the washers used.
The material felt a little brittle to me, which is why I used sealant, but if it crushes down nicely then that will work too.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Okay, I see what you did now, 5/8" ID hose and 3/4" 90's. Are those PEX connectors? They are usually the ones with ridges instead of barbs, and I believe are sized slightly differently, PEX 3/4" tube is actually 0.660" ID.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah Phil, I couldn't find 5/8" initially but the 3/4" worked great. On one the of the Evap tubes, I used the factory hose which is about 2 1/2" long and one end fit on very snugly over the 3/4 elbow. That's why I dont' have clamps on that part because the fits is on tight. I tested it before by trying to pull it off and you really have to work hard at it. Otherwise, it's on there good!

And yeah, I thought the same at first of the material on the floor but again, it went down well and absolutely water tight/proof.

Hey, maybe Lance should add a section to this site for "home made" ideas or "member fabrication jobs/mods" for all members. Just a thought. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love to do my own mods as well, when able...Satisfaction + if anything goes wrong down the line, then I know exactly where to look, or what I could change to prevent future failure...Oh, and I'd rather blame myself for a stupid mistake, then someone else. Off again to Home Depot (to the correct section) and Napa. It's funny when the helpful and knowledgable guys from Home depot/ Lowes start to walk away quickly, when you start mentioning "evaporator canisters" and stuff. They must've thought I had plans to build one bad a$$ toilet or something. Thank You Phil and 007joe. PhilD- I am ready to do Boulder Creek or Longs again. Please post if you are planning a trip soon. I would love to tag along...(If bodyguy leads...then I'll have to bring my ductape and Depends).

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
I just found this thread and it cracks me up. I tried to design a kit that allows a guy to do most/all the work himself and that's still not enough.

If you guys just want to buy parts, let me know. I'm happy to sell the fuel hose $5 (DON'T USE HEATER HOSE), and fuel proof 90 degree connectors $2. Or what ever else you're looking for. I'm happy to send it without instructions. :grinpimp:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I absolutely appreciate the suggestion for the Woods kit. I checked it out online and thought that it looked great. My deal was that there was some pretty positive feedback from guys that have successfully done it already (independently), plus I am able to support the local economy, plus it was cheaper to do it this way...Sorry. BTW, I am still planning on purchasing the Woods muffler relocation kit and the Stabilizer relocation kit...so maybe that helps.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I just found this thread and it cracks me up. I tried to design a kit that allows a guy to do most/all the work himself and that's still not enough.

If you guys just want to buy parts, let me know. I'm happy to sell the fuel hose $5 (DON'T USE HEATER HOSE), and fuel proof 90 degree connectors $2. Or what ever else you're looking for. I'm happy to send it without instructions. :grinpimp:
have you changed the hose you use? the hose i got from you in the kit said, "heater hose. not for use with fuel," right on it.

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
have you changed the hose you use? the hose i got from you in the kit said, "heater hose. not for use with fuel," right on it.
I don't think so. Unless you purchased one of the very first basement builder kits, then maybe. I can't imagine that I've used anything but fuel line since January. Send me an email and I'll send you a new hose.

[email protected]

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
I absolutely appreciate the suggestion for the Woods kit. I checked it out online and thought that it looked great. My deal was that there was some pretty positive feedback from guys that have successfully done it already (independently), plus I am able to support the local economy, plus it was cheaper to do it this way...Sorry. BTW, I am still planning on purchasing the Woods muffler relocation kit and the Stabilizer relocation kit...so maybe that helps.
Now worries bud. Just trying to help out.

I'm working on a really cool new version of the muffler kit. The new one will go over the rear swaybar and then angle down under the rear bumper. It will have a removable tip to completely eliminate any clearance issues. :jester:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pictures of parts used.

StubEXrube, Here are pictures of the actual parts used with the part # on the bag for the elbows from Home Depot. And also, the exact Fuel Line from Napa Auto Parts. I hope this helps.

PhilD, Yeah, the elbows are from Pex. I measured them and they are just a tiny hair under 3/4". That's why they worked so well with the 5/8" hose and no hose clamps needed (just my opinion)

Woods, again, you kit is great and you did an awesome job. If I didn't want the challenge of trying to do this myself, i'd of probably bought your kit.

So for those that don't want to go through the process that some of us did, I would recommend the Woods kit indeed. :beer:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just saw you are in Sacramento...so I guess I wont be buying you a cold one anytime soon.:beer: Thanks a million for the pics...They make all the difference. "In yer face, Home Depot plumbing expert...that currently thinks I"m nutz" Thanks again to PhilD, as well.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
back to square one on this thing...Home depot says thats an invalid part #/ skew. I looked in the "sprinkler sec" and found some other QestPex stuff, but they didnt have those brass elbows. (I hate using plastic , although it's been suggested.) If anyone has 2 (thinking- "bag of 5") that they dont need, I would be willing to compensate the cost to ship them to me. Man I hate askin for bs favors, but these are the ones I really want to use. Shoot me a PM if anyone has these. Damn, I hate the home depot here in small town USA, and we dont have a Lowes yet, so......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts