JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a link that has definitions and pictures? My jeep is driving wierd but I dont know how to explain the issue.

I googled body roll and sway but thats not the issue. Basically if I hit a pothole the front and rear of the vehicle feel like they are moving side to side...not rolling. Any idea what term to google? :shitstorm:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ball Joints.

Do you feel like the jeep body/frame is twisting over the positioning of the axles as the springs compress?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its definetly not death wobble. Its very hard to describe. Tried to find a pic on google with no luck.

It started after putting my 3.5 RK x factor on. The caster is at 2.3 degrees right now. Were going to adjust that to 4 - 4.5 tonight and see what happens before touching anything else. Hoping that fixes it, but would be nice to see pics understand each term correctly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so, if this pic shows 0* pinion angle and 6* caster as written on the image I pulled from google...then what does the pic on the left show in terms of degrees?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The motion you describe sounds like typical behavior of a stiff suspension with anti-roll (sway) bars. The sway bars work great during a turn because they help keep the JK flat but when only one wheel hits a bump it also transmits the motion to the other wheel.

Changes in roll center and height introduced by the lift kit can make it worse. But it happens to some degree on the stock suspension.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll say this though...I drove my buddies jeep with same 3.5" springs but with stock control arms. His drove much better than mine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's good that you have a point of comparison. The control arms should not make a difference except when disconnected and articulating.

Did you verify you installed every correctly per the instructions? And torqued everything down once your Jeep was on the ground?

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Drift mayhaps?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe you should check out the front and rear track bars. Idk if that has anything to do with it though

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like your roll center is off. This happens when you lift a vehicle and do not correct the trac bar angles. Raising the axle side bracket in the rear will more than likely fix a lot of your issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, all TB brackets and adjustable track bars are installed and tight.

I also have a squeak in the front and finally found the issue...the passenger upper front control arm rear bolt was loose...bout to torque all control arm bolts, TB bolts and any other bolts associated to the lift again and see if that gets rid of the squeak and the strange ride quality...crossing fingers.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Yes, all TB brackets and adjustable track bars are installed and tight.

I also have a squeak in the front and finally found the issue...the passenger upper front control arm rear bolt was loose...bout to torque all control arm bolts, TB bolts and any other bolts associated to the lift again and see if that gets rid of the squeak and the strange ride quality...crossing fingers.
Checking bolts is part of the death wobble checklist :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll accept the :shitstorm:

Torqued every track bar and control arm bolt last night to proper spec again...drives MUCH better now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts