JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my Jeep go into limp mode 2 times in the last 3 hours just in normal driving. Both times I had either slowed down to make a turn or stopped completely. 2012 JKUR. No suspension mods. 4.10 gears. Of course the warranty just ran out.... Does going into limp mode create a code to check?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows anything about this? That can't be a good sign...

·
Registered
88 Posts
So when this happens there are no MIL light that comes on dash ?might check fuse box make sure all fuses are seated good. Also ground wires. 12's had a host of probs that could cause that ESP with Auto tran's. Head going bad, oil pressure sensor,tran's module. Really hard to say unless it throws a code...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No lights coming on. Was planning to try to have someone pull codes today though. Thanks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Might want to have your battery checked. Simple things first.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Did you do the key trick to see if any codes were retrievable? Some of the codes require a scan tool (like wheel speed sensors, for example) to see. Not all scan tools will pull all the Chrysler codes either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you do the key trick to see if any codes were retrievable? Some of the codes require a scan tool (like wheel speed sensors, for example) to see. Not all scan tools will pull all the Chrysler codes either.
I don't know what the key trick is. Edumacate me?

Not sure if I will be able to work on it myself. I used to do everything on my CJ, but new engines scare the shit out of me...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know what the key trick is. Edumacate me?

Not sure if I will be able to work on it myself. I used to do everything on my CJ, but new engines scare the shit out of me...
What's so scary about the new engines? More wires are there for sure, lots of computer controlled stuff too...but that's the problem...the Jeep is going into Limp mode is not an Engine problem to solve. It is a figure out why the computer is putting it into limp mode problem and then maybe you have an Engine problem to solve.

It's a 2012 that is mostly stock, what about taking it to the dealer and leveraging that warranty?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warranty expired last month. I'm starting to think limp mode may be the wrong way to describe it. It seems to be sticking in other gears now too. Has happened 2 more times now and one of them was not in first gear. Fluid level is still good. Will have the battery checked tomorrow, but haven't had any sign of it going bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bumping this older thread to post the solution.

This intermittent problem started happening more and more until it was a few times a week. Finally broke down and called the dealership to ask if there's any way to get covered under expired warranty since I have many documented complaints about it before expiration. That's when I heard the most beautiful words ever... "Powertrain warranty". I didn't know it was separate.

Bottom line, needed a new solenoid in the tranny. I'm a little pissed that they didn't figure this out years ago, but still happy it didn't cost me anything but more of my time.

·
Vendor
32 Posts
Bumping this older thread to post the solution.

This intermittent problem started happening more and more until it was a few times a week. Finally broke down and called the dealership to ask if there's any way to get covered under expired warranty since I have many documented complaints about it before expiration. That's when I heard the most beautiful words ever... "Powertrain warranty". I didn't know it was separate.

Bottom line, needed a new solenoid in the tranny. I'm a little pissed that they didn't figure this out years ago, but still happy it didn't cost me anything but more of my time.
Are you saying that you took this to the dealer previously and they didn't pick this up with a WiTech scan?

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you saying that you took this to the dealer previously and they didn't pick this up with a WiTech scan?

Glad to hear you got it fixed!
I reported it at least 3 times in the 36 months of my original warranty. It wasn't giving off codes, I guess. It never had a check engine light until it was doing it a few times in a week.

·
Vendor
32 Posts
I reported it at least 3 times in the 36 months of my original warranty. It wasn't giving off codes, I guess. It never had a check engine light until it was doing it a few times in a week.
Sorry to hear. I think a quick scan with the dealers WiTech device would have picked this up. No CEL is needed, the WiTech stores a lot of data.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear. I think a quick scan with the dealers WiTech device would have picked this up. No CEL is needed, the WiTech stores a lot of data.
Well, these guys have built a reputation for crappy service, and I guess they are living up to it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gotta love the powertrain warranty! Just had my drivers side head replaced on my '12JKUR with 52k miles and it didn't cost me a penny:bounce:

P.S. I know now that there is an extended warranty on the drivers side head

1 - 15 of 15 Posts