JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - appreciate all the info on this forum.

I'm currently working on my second build it's a 2017 rubicon JKU. I've read a lot of reviews about LED lighting and when I was looking at my truck yesterday I realized that the RED lights look out of place on my truck which is white with black top.

I was thinking of switching out for RECON LED although I've read a couple of times that they are terrible! Wondering if there is another light that has the look but actually people are happy with? I don't want to replace side markers turn signals and rears taillights and have issues.

Many thanks j

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try vleds and superbrightleds. They have quality LED bulbs for the exterior.

Thank you -- if i use the jwspeaker rears that looks like plug and play solution.

Those 2 sites seem to be for the bulbs - but what about the side marker on the fender? Is there an easy way to swap out?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Those do look great. Any issues with quality? I know the headlights get rave reviews.

Does jw offer anything for the side markers on the stock fenders?
Great quality, and built to very similar dimensions of the stock tails, so a lot of the guards that fit stock tails should fit the lights.

As for the side markers, JW doesn't offer anything, but other brands do offer a lighter, or tinted lense type of replacement. I will warn you though, they can be a little difficult to swap from what I remember, since they are basically sandwiched between the flare itself and the support structure.

Here is an LED option from Anzo, and Im sure there are others out there.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/marker-lights/861116-anzo-usa-clear-side-fender-lenses-w-amber-led

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm working on a plan for retrofitting the OEM side markers with dual-intensity ("dual filament") 3/4" LEDs. This would allow the side marker to function as both marker and turn signal. I know how to go about making that work with incandescent bulbs (cut side marker ground and splice into turn signal), but that obviously won't work with LEDs.

I think cutting the "shroud" for the plug off the back and drilling the hole out to 3/4" is all that's going to be necessary, but I won't know for sure until I dive into the project.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm working on a plan for retrofitting the OEM side markers with dual-intensity ("dual filament") 3/4" LEDs. This would allow the side marker to function as both marker and turn signal. I know how to go about making that work with incandescent bulbs (cut side marker ground and splice into turn signal), but that obviously won't work with LEDs.

I think cutting the "shroud" for the plug off the back and drilling the hole out to 3/4" is all that's going to be necessary, but I won't know for sure until I dive into the project.

That sounds awesome. I'm not skilled enough to do something like that unfortunately- but psyched to see the project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
As for the side markers, JW doesn't offer anything, but other brands do offer a lighter, or tinted lense type of replacement. I will warn you though, they can be a little difficult to swap from what I remember, since they are basically sandwiched between the flare itself and the support structure.

Here is an LED option from Anzo, and Im sure there are others out there.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/marker-lights/861116-anzo-usa-clear-side-fender-lenses-w-amber-led
I have some of the tinted side marker lights and looked great but yes they are a real pain to install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I went with the jw speaker 279 taillights. The black looks great - and along with the AEV 3rd brake light they perfect.

Really appreciate all the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts