JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just wanted to find out from those of you who have Lightforce HID Lights (mine are Striker 170 HIDs), where you mounted the ballasts?

Also, are they waterproof? Do they get hot? Instead of experimenting with ballast mounting locations, I thought I would ask from those of you who already have them.

Thanks!

RC

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When I had my 170 HID w/ delta brackets, I used industrial Velcro on the ballasts and hid them under the cowl.. It was tight with the connectors right on the inside edge. But worked.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yes, I think there should be plenty of space under the cowl, and I suppose I could use Velcro.

What I'm wondering is if they get hot, are they waterproof, or if there are mounting parameters that need to be followed when putting them on?

RC
Well let's put it this way, I had them about a yr (rain, shine, gulf coast weather) velcro did it's job and they were a bitch to pull away when I took them out, the connections are weather packed so that's no problem, I say run with it.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well let's put it this way, I had them about a yr (rain, shine, gulf coast weather) velcro did it's job and they were a bitch to pull away when I took them out, the connections are weather packed so that's no problem, I say run with it.
Where does one acquire "industrial strength" Velcro?

Why did you get rid of your lights?

RC

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
The ones on the WS are velcrowed under the crowl. The ones on the front are zip tied to the light bracket. Some rain, but mostly snow and ice. Everything's held up great so far.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great guys, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I picked up the "industrial strength stuff" (enough to do mine and a friends lights), and the ballast/igniter mounting went well, very clean. All that's left is extending the pigtails and connecting it to my sPOD.

One other question: I've never had HIDs, and have heard that you cannot or should not, cycle them on or off quickly. That you need to let them warm up? True, false?

Thanks.

RC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts