JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on these lights? I am looking at either the Striker 170 HID or standard, not sure which yet...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
idk if theyre the same ones, but theyre using some type of lightforces on the RR jeep truck project on here...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I ran Lightforce lights for over a year. They're very bright and super durable.
I'd recommend them. The ability to change the beam color/pattern with a snap-on filter is very convenient.

I had 240 xenons, 170 Strykers, and 140 Lancers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the 170's mounted on Mopar brackets and Love'em. It's also nice that you can run different covers and adjust the beam........

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I got 170's on my windshield brackets! They work great. But i wanna go with HIDs conversion. They great lights! As said in other post, light patter can be changed easily.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just put the conventional 170 strikers in windshield mounts. I'm really happy with the amount of light they put out.

There are several reasons I went with conventional rather than HID:
$$$$
HID lights don't like to be turned on and off for oncoming traffic.
I'm not worried about efficiency.
No warm up needed.

My only major complaint is the filters emit a lot of glare back into my eyes. So much, that I'll have to paint the outer rings of the filters to stop it. It's an easy fix, but annoying.

Because of the type of usage these will get, I ordered a set of clear combo filters, They should be delivered tomorrow.

With my homemade WS mounts, there is no sign of vibration.

I love em.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I got 170 standard w/ combo lense on my delta windshield bracket. Great combo.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I just put the conventional 170 strikers in windshield mounts. I'm really happy with the amount of light they put out.

There are several reasons I went with conventional rather than HID:
$$$$
HID lights don't like to be turned on and off for oncoming traffic.
I'm not worried about efficiency.
No warm up needed.

My only major complaint is the filters emit a lot of glare back into my eyes. So much, that I'll have to paint the outer rings of the filters to stop it. It's an easy fix, but annoying.

Because of the type of usage these will get, I ordered a set of clear combo filters, They should be delivered tomorrow.

With my homemade WS mounts, there is no sign of vibration.

I love em.
Yea but HIDs will be brighter than any halogen you can stick in there. You are correct on the on/off, they don't like that. But damn they're bright!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys.
Much Appreciated..

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
I've had 170 Strikers... My RR HIDs are brighter. I can't speak for the quality, durability etc. But they're brighter...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I got a lot of glare from the filters so I painted the area that emitted the light back at me. In this picture, notice the glare from the light on the right. On the left is a painted filter. No glare.

Here is a pic of what I painted.

Here's what it looks like on the Jeep.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Rustoleum brand plastic paint. Mask off the areas you want left clear with painters tape, use a sharp knife to trim the tape for a nice edgs, then hit 'em with the rattle can.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Running 170's on my fairlead mount... I dont know how you guys are running 170's on your windshield.. those things are huge!

No matter... these are amazing.. I wont drive at night without them anymore.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
We will be running 5 of the striker 170's on our Raider ST project. They are nice bright units and are super strong.:beer:

Kenny,

Any special wiring with HIDs and ballasts? I have an sPOD, so I'd plan on hooking it straight up to this. Do the ballasts have to be mounted somewhere dry, cool, and protected, or are they built into the can?

Thanks man... Dying to get that RK kit I ordered from you. Counting down the days!

Cruz

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Kenny,

Any special wiring with HIDs and ballasts? I have an sPOD, so I'd plan on hooking it straight up to this. Do the ballasts have to be mounted somewhere dry, cool, and protected, or are they built into the can?

Thanks man... Dying to get that RK kit I ordered from you. Counting down the days!

Cruz
I can chime on this one - if you don't mind, the ballasts are separate, hook the up straight to the sPOD, where I mounted my 170's HID was on the windshield and I tucked the ballasts under the cowl.. Out of site, out of mind..

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I can chime on this one - if you don't mind, the ballasts are separate, hook the up straight to the sPOD, where I mounted my 170's HID was on the windshield and I tucked the ballasts under the cowl.. Out of site, out of mind..
Thanks, Andre! :D

I'm running PIAA 540's, but haven't run HIDs, so I thought I would get a school lesson. These sounds like they would compliment the PIAAs nicely, and that I would be done in the lighting department if I bought them. Now to find the best deal...

RC

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thanks, Andre! :D

I'm running PIAA 540's, but haven't run HIDs, so I thought I would get a school lesson. These sounds like they would compliment the PIAAs nicely, and that I would be done in the lighting department if I bought them. Now to find the best deal...

RC
RDM or Mannylx450 - usually have decent prices, or find a dealer near you for less shipping.

Initally I had the 170 halogen but then as expected JKO's are always looking for the BBD.:shaking: .. So I converted them to HID with lightforce kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts