JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I fully understand that these machines are NOT designed with fuel economy at the forefront but I am interested in things people have done that may help the mpg during the routine work week. For now I am commuting to work (poor house selling market) and the nature of my work has me running between school buildings...but they pay for that mileage. Anyway my first thought is the rear tire, is anyone running without it on the back while on-road driving time warrants the effort to take it down? I know its not going to lighten the load a whole lot but I also know that a rim and tire are not exactly featherlight. It also crossed my mind that with the placement of the spare it could be part of the overall balance of the vehicle...is this the case?

A

·
0 Posts
I used to own an H2 so I modded my JK by adding a whole bunch of weight, lifted it a few inches, put 37” tires on it, took the plastic air dam off and… Oh wait…. You want to get good MPG.. :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was expecting these sorts of responses :laughing: I expect that for the first while this vehicle will be used as a daily driver mainly with some off-roading as we venture into that but I don't want to go any longer without 4 wheel drive here in MI...I miss it. And I find myself more comfortable in a truck-like driving position...unless its summer and not raining in which case i'll be two-wheel'n it.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I doubt a factory spare is going to make any difference to fuel economy or balance of the vehicle. Driving with a lighter right foot will make a difference though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll just have to put the theory to the test, but thought I would see if anyone already has. :)

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I guess I'll just have to put the theory to the test, but thought I would see if anyone already has. :)
I drove around without a spare for most of last year, and recently added a 230 lb rear bumper and 100 lb spare to the back and can not see any difference in economy. If 330 lbs makes no noticeable difference, then I highly doubt that a little factory spare will.

Pulling away slower and keeping the rpm's in the power band when cruising will do way more to get you better mpg than removing the spare will.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ok this one might be a little out there but what about disconnecting the front driveshaft or getting locking hubs so your front isnt always moving? Less rotating mass to move.

As far as cutting weight... spare tire, rear seat and carpet is all I can think of that you would want to take out. The only time less weight would give any MPG gain is during a lot of stop and go driving. It takes power to move weight from a stand still but once in motion (like on a highway) you wouldnt see much diffrence

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
ok this one might be a little out there but what about disconnecting the front driveshaft or getting locking hubs so your front isnt always moving? Less rotating mass to move.
Removing the driveshaft won't make any real difference, hubs may make a little, but you have to face the fact that pushing a big brick is never going to be that fuel efficient.

I can guarantee that removing the carpet will not make the vehicle more fuel efficient. Maybe going on a diet would help.

There are some things you can look at, exhaust/intake/etc, but I doubt any are going to make any real impact on mpg. Buying a Prius would be the best way to get better mpg ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Removing the driveshaft won't make any real difference, hubs may make a little, but you have to face the fact that pushing a big brick is never going to be that fuel efficient.

I can guarantee that removing the carpet will not make the vehicle more fuel efficient. Maybe going on a diet would help.

There are some things you can look at, exhaust/intake/etc, but I doubt any are going to make any real impact on mpg. Buying a Prius would be the best way to get better mpg ;)
yeah I didnt think any one single item will make it more efficent. I was just replying to his question and those are 3 things I can see removing from a Jeep. I do understand drag coefficent plays a part in the mpg thing and no amount of spair tires, carpet, seat, hubs, or anything will reduce that brickish figure we all have :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buying a Prius would be the best way to get better mpg

NO THANKS!!!

Well if (when) I do end up with my unlimited I think I will try taking the tire off. Even if it only helps a little, as you mentioned stop and go which I do regularly running between our district school buildings.

Great comments!

·
Registered
37 Posts
get a diesel oh thats right you dont have that option in the us hehehe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Way to rub it in tiny. Diesel deprivation is bad enough w/o our friends from downunder blowing fumes at us.
;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Keep it waxed and run all synthetics, you may pick up .000003......
Sorry, couldn't resist.:smokin:
I took my back seat out a long time ago, that's what, about 30-40 lbs? I have offset that by 190 lbs of bumper and winch and 40 lbs of rock sliders.
My mileage took a dive when I put the bigger tires on and lifted it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are worried about gas mileage you bought the wrong vehicle. Probably from the wrong manufacturer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are worried about gas mileage you bought the wrong vehicle. Probably from the wrong manufacturer.
I was expecting this exact statement also so I'll take it with a grain of salt. In today's economical time, if something can make one's pocket empty less quickly...be it pocket change or not...why not try it.

Edit: quite the friendly first post I might add...but again no harm no foul, I know these machines are not compact cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I would revisit this. I pulled the spare off today and I'm going to run without it for a few days...maybe a week and see if anything changes. I also put in a drop in K&N air filter and removed the snorkel from the air box.

While I was under the hood I couldn't help but think ...wow there's so much room in there yet! I am also already seeing the effects on the radiator with the wide open grill. Is it to "ricey" to be thinking about some sort of mesh that would offer a little more protection?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I also put in a drop in K&N air filter and removed the snorkel from the air box.
In which case it will be hard to tell what is making the difference, although the rear tire isn't going to make any noticeable difference in my opinion.

Is it to "ricey" to be thinking about some sort of mesh that would offer a little more protection?
I've used stainless steel sheet that was drilled with loads of holes before, and also expanded mesh type of material to keep rocks and stones off the radiator. If it's practical for you to do so (ie: you drive in places with debris flying), then don't worry if it is too "ricer", just do it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts