JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting to try to help a friend... the rig is a '10 Rubi 6spd, with a 4" rough country lift. The esc is going nuts- overriding the steering, applying the brakes... etc. I tried the esc override by doing the steering wheel/ button push routine that I found here, but I can't get it to accept the sequence and disable the esc. Any ideas? The Jeep is pretty much undriveable, and it only has 5500 miles on it. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is the steering wheel centered? If wheel is not centered it trips the esp bas traction control. Loosen the drag link sleeve and turn sleeve, drive 1/4 block checking wheel, may need to turn other way, repeat until wheel is centered.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
And disconnect battery to reset computer.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
The JK is VERY picky about having the steering wheel PERFECTLY centered, as suggested. No biggie- just get it straight and you should be fine.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
keep trying the disable, be as precise as you can. it'll go. i've run my disabled for over a year now, love not having to jack with it and be able to pitch it sideways in 2wd on the trail!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks everyone.. I will try adjusting the steering wheel and go again. I'll post back and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
it still will suck and be twitchy. someone need to figure how to "adjust" the sensor instead of just turning it all off

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one more thing... if the wheels that are on the rig DO NOT have TPMS sensors in them, will that affect me being able to perform the disable?

·
Registered
38 Posts
one more thing... if the wheels that are on the rig DO NOT have TPMS sensors in them, will that affect me being able to perform the disable?
No, you can still disable it.

Make sure you start the vehicle, put it in 4-high, center the steering wheel by going from 11:00 to 2:00 position, then backing it to exact center. Now, turn the wheel at least 180 degrees to the right (I found it works if you go a bit past 180) and hold it. DO NOT let the wheel move back at all - even a tiny bit. Hold the ESP disable button for 7 seconds. Sometimes it will chime, sometimes not. Then, turn the wheel back to center, then another 180 degrees (or a little more) to the left. Once again, don't let that wheel move back at all. Press the ESP button for another 7 seconds. You may hear a chime, maybe not. Doesn't matter. Now, turn the wheel to center and push the ESP button for 7 seconds. I've never heard a chime when doing this. Turn off the key. Restart the vehicle. If you see the traction control light illuminate (and not go out), as well as ESP Off in the DIC, you were successful.

The first time I tried this I couldn't get it to work, even after trying ten times. I did something else, came back, and tried it and went a little past 180 degrees each time and made sure that wheel didn't go backwards in each position. It worked the first time. Now, I can disable/enable the ESP every time.

Don't give up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Steering wheel isn't centered. This same thing happened to me after my lift. I took it for a quick test down the road once completed and the Jeep was out of control nuts with codes, steering, and brakes. Took it to the alignment rack and used an AEV Procal to readjust my steering center. All better, drives great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK thanks guys. I recentered the steering wheel via the drag link several times and still had no luck. My friend is out of town so it will be a few days before I can get it to tryagain. Thanks again for the helpful advice!

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
OK thanks guys. I recentered the steering wheel via the drag link several times and still had no luck. My friend is out of town so it will be a few days before I can get it to tryagain. Thanks again for the helpful advice!
it does take a few key cycles for the code to reset. if it still doesnt reset he can pull the J6 fuse to kill the ab/esp till he gets it figured out

here is fuse panel diagram
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22584

1 - 12 of 12 Posts