JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but is it a good/bad idea to add a 1inch spacer lift to a 2012 JK with a 2 1/2 inch Rubicon Express lift already on it?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but is it a good/bad idea to add a 1inch spacer lift to a 2012 JK with a 2 1/2 inch Rubicon Express lift already on it?
What size tires are you running? And what is your intention for the spacer lift?

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im running 35s. Just really wanting it a bit higher w more clearance.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well, I am not an expert by no means. I also don't have any experience with a spacer lift but I have always heard a suspension lift is better. Do you take it off road?

Maybe one of the more experienced members who know more about lift kits could help out!

·
Registered
295 Posts
There is nothing run with running an addition 1" spacer to get additional height out of a spring lift if you like the characteristics of your existing springs. I currently run Metalcloak 2.5" springs with additional Teraflex 1" spacers front and rear. I've been doing this for several years with no issues and plenty of flex. When comparing free length and compressed length of a MC 2.5" spring + spacer VS 3.5 MC springs they are within 1/8" of each other. I don't always understand why many Metalcloak fan people will spend $400+ on a new set of 1" taller springs if they are satisfied with the quality and characteristics of their current springs. You should look up your current 2.5" spring specs and compare them to 3.5" springs and see if the 1" spacer puts you in comparable lengths. If you aren't crazy about fex then research probably isn't required. Now you may run into driveshaft, steering, or caster issues by going up in height but that isn't related to using a spacer; just based on net height increase. Although it could still work, I wouldn't recommend 2" spacers and lift springs to get desired height although it could still be a satisfactory combination for some peoples situation.

I will admit that a have a fresh set of MC 3.5" springs sitting around as my current 2.5": springs are 7 years old. They are still working well but I'm playing with the idea of going to 4.5" lift with new springs and old spacers.

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the detailed answer Rob50lx and you to Jeep Momma. I am very happy with the ride and characteristics. I assume there will be some driveshaft/cant issue with going a bit higher. i really only need another inch, so your post is good news. A set of adjustable control arms should take care of the cant issues and it was something I was intending to upgrade at some point anyway. I do have one other question.... I am running Fox 2.0s and assume they will still be fine as far as length?

Thanks again for the help, I am new to the site and to the JK world. Excited to be part of the community.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thanks for the detailed answer Rob50lx and you to Jeep Momma. I am very happy with the ride and characteristics. I assume there will be some driveshaft/cant issue with going a bit higher. i really only need another inch, so your post is good news. A set of adjustable control arms should take care of the cant issues and it was something I was intending to upgrade at some point anyway. I do have one other question.... I am running Fox 2.0s and assume they will still be fine as far as length?

Thanks again for the help, I am new to the site and to the JK world. Excited to be part of the community.
I wasn't too much help! LOL!!! I do know with those 35's and a 2.5 lift you will rub when you flex. I have 35's and a 3.5 and when I am at max flex it rubs a little. If you still have your stock driveshaft watch it. Those 35's will give it a work out. You can get under your Jeep and see the grease splatter that's a sign it's going bad.

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't too much help! LOL!!! I do know with those 35's and a 2.5 lift you will rub when you flex. I have 35's and a 3.5 and when I am at max flex it rubs a little. If you still have your stock driveshaft watch it. Those 35's will give it a work out. You can get under your Jeep and see the grease splatter that's a sign it's going bad.
Thanks Tammy, Ill keep an eye out! I definitely have the stock driveshaft. But she is a work in progress....

Tire Sky Wheel Snow Car

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are those the rubi rails on the Jeep? Mine stick out and they come real close the tires in the rear.
I actually took the RubiRails off as they were going to rub. These are the Barricade Rock Sliders, they are solid and double as a step, which is good for me. (y) The rubi rails actually will fit with these sliders...but are redundant and mainly cosmetic, so I am going to sell them.

ps. The color is actually a super dark green. It looks black until the sun hits it just right....so I get two colors in one! pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I actually took the RubiRails off as they were going to rub. These are the Barricade Rock Sliders, they are solid and double as a step, which is good for me. (y) The rubi rails actually will fit with these sliders...but are redundant and mainly cosmetic, so I am going to sell them.

ps. The color is actually a super dark green. It looks black until the sun hits it just right....so I get two colors in one! pretty cool.
I have the rubi rails and the Barricade Sliders. I love the sliders. They have saved my Jeep so many times off road. I actually come to find I love the sound they make sliding on those rocks.

Yes having both was redundant, but I was too lazy to take them off. LOL!

That is cool about your Jeep color!

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha! I actually thought about keeping them on to cover the pinch seam.... I still have them, and have not committed to selling them yet. If I do put them on ill trim them first. BTW...Congrats on conquering the Rubicon Trail!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ha! I actually thought about keeping them on to cover the pinch seam.... I still have them, and have not committed to selling them yet. If I do put them on ill trim them first. BTW...Congrats on conquering the Rubicon Trail!
I have been wanting to trim mine, but that means I have to take the sliders off and the rails off. That is a lot of PIA work. Unless I can find a really good person who is skilled at the grinder I will leave it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taller tires give you clearance not lift. Lift allows for taller tires. If you go beyond 35" you will see a major drop in performance if you don't change gears. My thoughts for what its worth.

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taller tires give you clearance not lift. Lift allows for taller tires. If you go beyond 35" you will see a major drop in performance if you don't change gears. My thoughts for what its worth.
Thanks... I am sticking with 35s and probably going to do a 1" spacer at some point. If i do that will I need to get control arms to adjust for the angle of the axle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks... I am sticking with 35s and probably going to do a 1" spacer at some point. If i do that will I need to get control arms to adjust for the angle of the axle?
If that is the only lift you have, 1", I would say no. In my case I added control arms because we are heading out to Moab and Telluride to climb rocks, plus they look cool!! But the arms did bring the angle closer to factory.

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If that is the only lift you have, 1", I would say no. In my case I added control arms because we are heading out to Moab and Telluride to climb rocks, plus they look cool!! But the arms did bring the angle closer to factory.
cool, i was wanting to get them too at some point. did you do uppers and lowers on front and back?

·
Registered
3 Posts
cool, i was wanting to get them too at some point. did you do uppers and lowers on front and back?
Yeah I did them all.
Mammoth adjustable front and rear adjustable top and bottom for 0-4" lift. Pretty easy install. Also replaced everything on the front end with adjustable links. Pulled everything back in place and re-centered the body over the axles.

·
Registered
2012 JK Rubicon 4dr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mammoth adjustable front and rear adjustable top and bottom for 0-4" lift. Pretty easy install. Also replaced everything on the front end with adjustable links. Pulled everything back in place and re-centered the body over the axles.
sweeeeeet, i would love to see some pics. I will be doing this at some point in the future for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts