JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so ive read a lot of things about putting a lift on a 2012. ive read that youll come into multiple problems with a 3" lift with the exhaust and drive shaft.

ex. having to replace the drive shaft and exhaust crossover problems

will i run into any problems putting a RK 2.5 stock mod with bilstein 5100s shocks on my 2 door jk?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
You guys kill me with the "experts only" :laughing:

The short answer is no, you won't have problems with the 2.5" on a 2 door. I have that setup on mine (2.5 Max Travel with 5100s) and have had no issues, even though you're going to net closer to 3" installing it on a 2 door.

I haven't heard of the exhaust issue on the 2012's, but with a 3" lift the driveshafts should be fine for quite a while (until the boot shears off). It wouldn't be something that you have to address right away, but 3" would probably be overkill depending on the tire size you want to run. Something to think about.

What size tires do you plan on running?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I just did a rk 3.5 on a 2012 2dr last weekend and you definitely need to address the exhaust crossover. The teraflex spacers do the trick but a second set of hands will help it go smoother. Just remember that not all lifts are the same, some 3.5 lifts will net you 4-4.5 easy and some 3.5 will only net you 2.5-3. If you decide to not move the exhaust crossover via spacers or new pipe then I would suggest a new front shaft will be in your future.

Sent with Smoke Signals

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys kill me with the "experts only" :laughing:

The short answer is no, you won't have problems with the 2.5" on a 2 door. I have that setup on mine (2.5 Max Travel with 5100s) and have had no issues, even though you're going to net closer to 3" installing it on a 2 door.

I haven't heard of the exhaust issue on the 2012's, but with a 3" lift the driveshafts should be fine for quite a while (until the boot shears off). It wouldn't be something that you have to address right away, but 3" would probably be overkill depending on the tire size you want to run. Something to think about.

What size tires do you plan on running?
i plan on doing 35"
and yeah i heard it will be close to 3" of lift for the RK, i just dont wanna run into problems with it on the 2012 since its different

·
Registered
515 Posts
You'll be fine. The driveshaft will only hit the heat shield on the cross over pipe at full droop so if you have a 95% street rig this won't become a problem. Yo can have you exhaust rerouted in the meantime knowing what you limitations are before it tear the boot on the driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Well gee, hope I'm expert enough to help here... :shaking:

At 2.5-3" you'll likely have clearance issues with your exhaust crossover, and close to maxing out the usable angle of the drive shaft (this is with full droop using the factory drive shaft). Your best bet is to spend the clams up front and use an AFE crossover pipe, which relocates is further back and out of the way, and an aftermarket 1310 drive shaft. Then it becomes a non-issue no matter what kind of life or how much you are running.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TF, I have heard (not seen) that your exhaust spacers can cause some fit issues with skid plates. That the spacer moves the bend down and if you have engine/oil skid it will make contact with it.

Since I own a 2012, curious about this before I start doing any mods.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Well gee, hope I'm expert enough to help here... :shaking:

At 2.5-3" you'll likely have clearance issues with your exhaust crossover, and close to maxing out the usable angle of the drive shaft (this is with full droop using the factory drive shaft). Your best bet is to spend the clams up front and use an AFE crossover pipe, which relocates is further back and out of the way, and an aftermarket 1310 drive shaft. Then it becomes a non-issue no matter what kind of life or how much you are running.
X2. Just get the AFE crossover pipe and do it right the first time :beer::beer: This is what will be on my 2012 if I ever get it out of the service dept LOL.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
TF, I have heard (not seen) that your exhaust spacers can cause some fit issues with skid plates. That the spacer moves the bend down and if you have engine/oil skid it will make contact with it.

Since I own a 2012, curious about this before I start doing any mods.

Thanks!
The exhaust is still above the lowest cross member after the spacers are installed correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.