JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still confused about which lift kit to get for my 2012 JK rubicon. i pretty well set on a 2.5" lift but which brand is best and do i need shocks and/or coils? my JK is my DD but i like i go off road on weekends. no rock crawling...yet.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Not sure if you are trolling.
Very complete one of th best like https://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangler-Game-Changing-Suspension-Lift-Kit-p/7110.htm
Or one of the cheapest 2.5 like Daystar? - Driven by Design
There is no best brand. A 2 or 2.5 inch lift should have adjustable track bars and track bar relocation brackets to center your axles and raise your roll center to match lift.
Could have adjustable control arms to correct castor and/or pinion angles although some use drop brackets or cam bolts. I am not going to touch brake line or wss options, many people leave that stock.
You are going to have to figure out what you really need to change and your price point.
Some guys read up on a specific kit or system then start web searching "brand x sucks" or "problems with brand x" get some feedback and ask some of the folks in your area what did and didnot work for them.
Then when you get it narrowed down come here and ask or search about those specific systems.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just installed a Rough Country 2.5" lift in my JK and I'm lovin' it! I got a kit that came with brake line relocation brackets, new springs and new shocks. I bought an adjustable front track bar and a rear track bar relocation bracket, as well as a set of front sway bar disconnects. I put it all on in a couple of hours in my garage with basic hand tools. Super simple!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm still confused about which lift kit to get for my 2012 JK rubicon. i pretty well set on a 2.5" lift but which brand is best and do i need shocks and/or coils? my JK is my DD but i like i go off road on weekends. no rock crawling...yet.:wink2:

Rock krawler stock mod system and upgrade from that platform as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also installed the Rough County 2.5" lift. Had a buddy with a lift install, took about 3 hours and no issues. Shocks, springs and hardware top quality.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Rock krawler stock mod system and upgrade from that platform as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone has their favorite brand, usually the one they run.
I would no longer recommend RK. My coils sagged, bushings wore inside of 2 years and the adjustable arms threaded connections had stripped thread engagement. It was super sweet in all road/wheeling aspects when new. My supplier had such a high consumer dissatisfaction record with RK that they do not recommend them now.
I guess to make a long story short, th OP is going to get nothing but opinions in this thread, and what the jkowners.com community needs to know is what he needs before throwing every concievable brand out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 2.5 Rock Krawler X factor do not buy Rock Krawler. The year I bought the lower control arms were about 1.5" out of factory spec creating problems for me and after reading on line many others who had diff cover problems as well. They have since shortened the arms (only god knows why) because Jeremy swears there was no reason behind it. Their lower control arms were designed too long for the JK and they refuse to admit it and will fight you every step of the way although they have shortened them since. The nasty CS and condescending treatment at the least should steer you away from them.

John

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I am not a fan of RK either (they are also not a fan of me), they sell their stuff thru misleading marketing and social media. They are not the only company that does this, teraflex is another company that does it. In reality RK is a machine shop that makes suspensions. Lots of their products have been "improved" over the years because of issues they have had with them. Everyone I know that has had their kits have swapped out to another or constantly complain about rebuilding joints or about the poor ride.

If RK fits your bill and you are happy with them then great, I am not here to run them down. Learn about your suspension and what you actually need to achieve what you want to do with it that will meet your budget. In reality all you need for a 2" lift is longer coils or a coil spacer everything else is optional but I would highly recommend longer front sway bar links and shocks extenders at minimum with any lift.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Can of worms alert! Or, opinions are like.....etc.

Seriously, there are a number of great 2.5" kits out there that will do the job for you, and, most importantly, be of good quality and provide great long term performance. If you spend time on this and other forums you quickly learn there are brand fan boys and brand haters that all apparently have a webfooted first cousin that bought the AEVRCRKSYNERGYTERAFAIL lift "and it sucked, and they suck and anyone who runs one is a dickhead..." etc. Bottom line, you're on your own. You can cheap out and get a kit that will lift the rig, but screw up the roll center, steering, etc., or go for a full featured kit and accept that you get what you pay for.

Personally I see no sense whatsoever in buying a $40,000+ performance oriented vehicle, then sticking a deficient $500 suspension on it. But, it's your call. In the end "you pays your money and you makes your choice."

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: chris36l

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Rk x factor mid arm, rides better than stock and upgradable (no other kit is FYI) best lift kit on the market.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Great example of the misleading marketing. "mid arm" and "upgradeable" a couple of terms from RK that gets repeated over and over on social media making people think they are getting something special which they are not.
Any lift kit that is not complete is upgradeable which is every bolt on kit out there.

I just try to educate people and what they are getting and not get hung up on a lot of the hype on the forums. Lifts imo are really a secondary system for a decent off road vehicle. You don't need to drop $10K and run a 4" lift to run a JK on 35" tires down a dirt road. I know you don't see it much on the east coast but on the west coast we still have tons of off road vehicles running around on leaf springs doing crazy trails and climbing huge boulders. No "flex" joints, "mid arms" (or arms at all). No dual or triple rate coils (leaf springs)

For what the OP has listed he wants to do (no tire size mentioned) I don't see any reason to do anything to the suspension, I mean he has a daily driver Rubicon and wants to run some trails with no rocks on the weekends. The Rubicon will do that all day long in its stock form.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also installed the Rough County 2.5" lift. Had a buddy with a lift install, took about 3 hours and no issues. Shocks, springs and hardware top quality.

"Top quality" :laughing2: :nono-1:

Rough Country and the words "top quality" have only ever been used by people who don't know anything about a quality suspension setup! It is simply the cheapest shit out there next to daystar, the components will fail and have failed under the simplest off-road use. Mall crawlers buy the shit because it is cheap and they only want the look of a lifted jeep and know nothing about how a quality lifted jeep should feel and respond on and off road!

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Top quality" :laughing2: :nono-1:

Rough Country and the words "top quality" have only ever been used by people who don't know anything about a quality suspension setup! It is simply the cheapest shit out there next to daystar, the components will fail and have failed under the simplest off-road use. Mall crawlers buy the shit because it is cheap and they only want the look of a lifted jeep and know nothing about how a quality lifted jeep should feel and respond on and off road!
Let's keep this real, the JKU is my wife's daily. The two leaky Mopar shocks and weak springs were an embarrassment that came off a new $40K vehicle. I've driven off road fighting wildland fires for 38 years thought the US, my opinion is fact based. To each his/her own.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Honesty man the RC 2.5 BB is a decent kit. All you really need to add is geo brackets or arms for caster angle. Use the shock extensions or longer shocks. All in all less than $500

·
Registered
198 Posts
Let's keep this real, the JKU is my wife's daily. The two leaky Mopar shocks and weak springs were an embarrassment that came off a new $40K vehicle. I've driven off road fighting wildland fires for 38 years thought the US, my opinion is fact based. To each his/her own.

LMAO, when I need a fire put out I'll call you, maybe!

When people need help building jeeps with quality parts and fixing the cheap wore out shit (rough country) they originally wasted their money, they call me or my mechanic friends who know what the hell we are talking FROM EXPERIANCE...... We build em, we run em, and we fix em that's REAL WORLD EXPERIANCE.

I'm not here indorsing anyone, but I know what works and what doesn't work on a JK! Keeping it real.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
LMAO, when I need a fire put out I'll call you, maybe!

When people need help building jeeps with quality parts and fixing the cheap wore out shit (rough country) they originally wasted their money, they call me or my mechanic friends who know what the hell we are talking FROM EXPERIANCE...... We build em, we run em, and we fix em that's REAL WORLD EXPERIANCE.

I'm not here indorsing anyone, but I know what works and what doesn't work on a JK! Keeping it real.......
Well this setup has been great and not all high end vendors are needed by users, hence the great diversification in mods. I only endorse what I have experience in and no mechanic will needed. No offense intended, folks like options and not from the vendor. That what makes these forums critical in customer reviews.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts