JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a 4" Rough Country lift on my '08 Unlimited. The shop putting it on and 4wd.com have both assurred me that I would not need to change anything in the drive train at this time. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it right now, just a few mild trails and maybe a little mud. Should i be fine to ride like this? If not on trails or mud, it should be fine as a daily driver still right?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Not positive about the RC 4", but with the OEM driveshafts, the front may rub a little on some aftermarket (engine/ transmission) skid-plates during full flex- not sure though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't want them to snap...

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a '91 YJ and I put a 2" body lift on it with 33's Toyo and both drive shafts sheered going up a mild slope hill. I donno how this one's gunna do off road since its an automatic...

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
The JK + a suspension lift is much different than a YJ + a 2" BL. Completely different characteristics. IMO, a 2" BL is just asking for problems. I have never gone over 1". Regardless, the JK does much better with a mild suspension lift, than the TJ's and YJ's ever did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is rough country a decent brand? i don't need top of the line things because it is a daily driver...just a play toy on the weekends

·
Registered
103 Posts
is rough country a decent brand? i don't need top of the line things because it is a daily driver...just a play toy on the weekends
we use rough country lifts at work quite regularly. they are very complete and we rarely have any problems. as for your driveshaft query, the front shaft can rub on the factory skid plate and or trans pan. also the boots on the upper (t-case end) cv joints tend to get pinched under flex and the rubber can fail allowing the lubricant to escape and the joint to run dry. the rear will outlast the front shaft on an unlimited. i would at least plan on a front shaft.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got the 4 rc on my 2010 rubicon unlimited you will be fine but you do need extensions for the brake lines the fronts will be tight when the lift goes on, I went with 24" fronts and 20" rears, if your gonna just do the street you wont need extensions but until you get them I wouldnt flex the front!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The JK + a suspension lift is much different than a YJ + a 2" BL. Completely different characteristics. IMO, a 2" BL is just asking for problems. I have never gone over 1". Regardless, the JK does much better with a mild suspension lift, than the TJ's and YJ's ever did.
Is that cause BL's stretch things?:laughing::hide::laughing:

OP,
your driveshafts won't snap, but as mentioned already, you may get some rubbing that will lead to excessive boot wear and eventual failure, and you'll end up with a annoying noise. IMHO, Keep an eye on it and if it appears you are getting some wear then start saving up for new shafts now or even buy a set to keep in your "spare parts box", then if you ever have one call it quits, you'll already be prepared.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Honestly, I don't see how they're going to put the 4" lift on w/out the brake line extensions and w/out moving the front lines or bending the tubing.

I put my 3.25" RC on myself and had to do just that. The brake front lines were really tight. I had to disconnect the clips and bend the tubing a little, in order for them to have a bit of slack in them.

When they're done, look at everything before you leave. Turn the wheel in both directions and check your brake lines..

·
Registered
329 Posts
on my 010 rubi the lines were just fine for the street, I put the 4 inch on it and drove it on the street for 3 months like that before i got around to puting the extensions on, just didnt take offroad or articulate then it woulda been all ssssssstrech...lol

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Honestly, I don't see how they're going to put the 4" lift on w/out the brake line extensions and w/out moving the front lines or bending the tubing.
Because he has 5 posts and has no clue what he's doing and hasn't done any research on this site before posting. :thefinger:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts