JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,i got a question on lift kits,is it true that rubicons dont need a arm lift or just springs,would like to do a 3 or 4" with 33 or 35's,need the wife to still be able to get in when wearing a skirt:bounce:since it is her ride;)and how high can i go and not need new drive lines,i really like to rock crawl

·
Registered
85 Posts
hi all,i got a question on lift kits,is it true that rubicons dont need a arm lift or just springs,would like to do a 3 or 4" with 33 or 35's,need the wife to still be able to get in when wearing a skirt:bounce:since it is her ride;)and how high can i go and not need new drive lines,i really like to rock crawl
From the research I've been doing you don't need a long arm until you hit about 4" (although I haven't heard anything about Rubis in particular, I would imagine that its the same.) . About 3" - 3.5" will allow you to clear 35s, 2" will allow you to clear 33s. If you're into rock crawling a 4" Long Arm is probably what you want. I'm no expert in this, just doing some research for my own lift ;)

As for getting in and out, I've seen a stirrup type of device that clips onto the door sill to allow easier entrance and exiting, you just unhook it and stuff it under the seat when you're not using it.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I personally don't think you need to go long arm until you get to 6" or so. You can get plenty of flex out of 4-5" of lift without long arms and if set up correctly will ride nice on the road.

For 3"+ adjustable control arms are a good idea, but plenty of people use the stock arms at 3-4".

At lift heights that long arms become more required, 6" or so, I think you will start to have some other issues anyway, ie: front driveshaft angle at t-case, balancing caster and pinion angle, steering, etc.

You'll likely find that even with just 3" of lift there is a good chance you'll run into issues with the front drive shaft, in particular the slip joint boot catching on the tranny pan, and the CV boot at the t-case end wearing and/or splitting.

If you go with an aftermarket front driveshaft then you will need adjustable control arms in order to balance caster and pinion angle.

You don't say if it is a 2 door or 4 door, but for a 4 door you'll want more lift for playing on rocks than a 2 door.

There is no real difference in terms of lift whether it's it a Rubi or not.

There are plenty of good lift kits out there, I like the Poly Performance kits as they have thought through everything and address all the important geometry issues. I've been impressed with the Full Traction Ultimate 3" kit as well. Although very few seem to use it, I like the looks of the Rancho long arm kit also.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are many opinions on this issue and your best bet is to call a manufacturer that you like and talk to them about exactly what you want and need. Everybody has different outcomes they would like as far as handling and capability. Generally 3"+ driveshafts. 4" need arms. 4"+ Long arms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts