JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to purchase one of these two lifts and wanted a few opinions. Its going to go on my 4door and will be used to push 38" tires. I already have a 1" body lift.

The first one I am debating is the Rock Krawler Long arm kit. It has nothing but great reviews, and I believe its 100% made in America. BUT I would have to invest about another 500+/- for shocks.(more if I want good ones) It’s a 3 link system.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant

The second one is Teraflex. Its complete with shocks, and is a 4 link system. Heard nothing but good, except to probably upgrade the shocks later down the road.
http://www.performance4trucks.com/L...dium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out

The third one I am debating is the Trail Master long arm. It seems more complete with Fox reservoir shocks for about the same price. It’s a 3 link system but haven’t heard many people running it.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16106_020X_PG.htm

All three look like solid systems. I found a write up on JKF of the TM kit and it looked like its not as "out of the box" ready for install(unless I’m mistaken). I now all require welding but I dont want to have to modify too much
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread....alth-3-link-4.5-quot-long-arm-with-Fox-Shocks

I know thats a ton of info, and thanks for sticking in there with me. I just want to get this right the first time. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I'd consider Synergy in with that mix.

Lift kits are not apples to apples and IMHO you get what you pay for. If you do it right you will install one lift kit, many people get it wrong and spend more than they have to replacing things down the road.

·
Registered
913 Posts
All three look like solid systems. I found a write up on JKF of the TM kit and it looked like its not as "out of the box" ready for install(unless I’m mistaken). I now all require welding but I dont want to have to modify too much
I don't know what you consider modifying much, but you have to cut off all the stock lower control arm mounts so there is no going back easily with any of the kits.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd consider Synergy in with that mix.

Lift kits are not apples to apples and IMHO you get what you pay for. If you do it right you will install once lift kit, many people get it wrong and spend more than they have to replacing things down the road.
X2 with Synergy! Rock krawler isn't bad out of the ones you've listed. But i'd atleast look into Synergy. They make some great stuff.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
Out of those three, I'd vote Rock Krawler. You might want to look at swapping in some 3.5" coils for your application. I would emphasize that thought more if you're planning on running any type of aftermarket flat flares. You'll have more than enough room with the 3.5" coils and the 1" body lift for those 38s. (Which 38s btw?) Going with the 5.5 kit with 3.5" coils will net you the Ultimate Steering Package at a discount vs going with the 3.5" kit.

With the 3.5" coils you'll save yourself from immediately having to replace the drive shafts if you haven't already addressed them. You'll also be able to run a Bilstein shock vs the more expensive options which are required with the 5.5 due to the needed lengths.

The install on all three should be about the same. It's going to be more time consuming than difficult on all three accounts. As mentioned, once you go long arm you can't go back.

Take a look at the Synergy stuff as well. Here's a link to their long arm suspension that you probably haven't heard of if you've been across the pond. :) Rock Krawler or Synergy would get my business.

http://synergysuspension.com/Jeep-J...m-Suspension-System-3.0-7.0-Lift-p-20948.html

Looking forward to seeing your Jeep come together, it sounds like you've got an interesting build ahead of you. :beer:

Marcus

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
So I am going to purchase one of these two lifts and wanted a few opinions. Its going to go on my 4door and will be used to push 38" tires. I already have a 1" body lift.
If you are doing aftermarket fenders and already have 1" BL then you could prob get away with 38's with out a LA kit. Just sayin....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow...thanks for all the responces, and I never expected so many and such fast responces. Answered many of my questions and created a few more for me. You are all correct, that I have never heard of Synergy lifts before.

Lift kits are not apples to apples and IMHO you get what you pay for.
What would you say synergy brings to the table over Rock Krawler?

I don't know what you consider modifying much, but you have to cut off all the stock lower control arm mountsQUOTE]

Yeah I saw that pretty much ANY LA kit requires cutting of factory mounts. I just didnt want to have to fabricate or seriously modify anything.

Out of those three, I'd vote Rock Krawler. You might want to look at swapping in some 3.5" coils for your application. I would emphasize that thought more if you're planning on running any type of aftermarket flat flares.
With the 3.5" coils you'll save yourself from immediately having to replace the drive shafts if you haven't already addressed them.
As of now I am keeping factory flares, with the possibility of going flat later. And you mention 3.5" coils. I looked at the specs and didnt see what size coil comes with the RK kit. Do you know? Is it not sufficient

If you are doing aftermarket fenders and already have 1" BL then you could prob get away with 38's with out a LA kit. Just sayin....
Im running stock fenders as of now.

Again, Thanks to everyone for all their help!

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Another one here for Poly / Synergy I have their Stage 2 3 inch lift with the new fixed length lower control arms and could not be happier. I have had RK and TF on my other jk's and this has been the most balanced and complete kit i have installed to date.

The Suspension is quiet and it articulates remarkbly well even though the control arms have rubber bushings.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Poly or RK - you cannot go wrong. Give them a call and tell them what your objectives are and they will make it happen.

I went with Poly and have zero complaints, can't say enough good things really. Same feedback from anyone with a RK setup as well.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Out of those three, I'd vote Rock Krawler. You might want to look at swapping in some 3.5" coils for your application. I would emphasize that thought more if you're planning on running any type of aftermarket flat flares. You'll have more than enough room with the 3.5" coils and the 1" body lift for those 38s. (Which 38s btw?) Going with the 5.5 kit with 3.5" coils will net you the Ultimate Steering Package at a discount vs going with the 3.5" kit.

With the 3.5" coils you'll save yourself from immediately having to replace the drive shafts if you haven't already addressed them. You'll also be able to run a Bilstein shock vs the more expensive options which are required with the 5.5 due to the needed lengths.

The install on all three should be about the same. It's going to be more time consuming than difficult on all three accounts. As mentioned, once you go long arm you can't go back.

Take a look at the Synergy stuff as well. Here's a link to their long arm suspension that you probably haven't heard of if you've been across the pond. :) Rock Krawler or Synergy would get my business.

http://synergysuspension.com/Jeep-J...m-Suspension-System-3.0-7.0-Lift-p-20948.html

Looking forward to seeing your Jeep come together, it sounds like you've got an interesting build ahead of you. :beer:

Marcus
Dammit Marcus the man said experts only :thefinger: :D

Rock Krawler gets my vote. Tera makes great kits, as does Synergy (I have parts in some form or another from all three companies on my Jeep), but Rock Krawler's customer service is top notch. Not knocking any of the others guys' customer service in the least, just my personal experience.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts

The first one I am debating is the Rock Krawler Long arm kit. It has nothing but great reviews, and I believe its 100% made in America. BUT I would have to invest about another 500+/- for shocks.(more if I want good ones) It’s a 3 link system.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant

The second one is Teraflex. Its complete with shocks, and is a 4 link system. Heard nothing but good, except to probably upgrade the shocks later down the road.
http://www.performance4trucks.com/L...dium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out

The third one I am debating is the Trail Master long arm. It seems more complete with Fox reservoir shocks for about the same price. It’s a 3 link system but haven’t heard many people running it.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16106_020X_PG.htm

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread....alth-3-link-4.5-quot-long-arm-with-Fox-Shocks

I know thats a ton of info, and thanks for sticking in there with me. I just want to get this right the first time. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for concidering us. If you have any questions on our products let us know for sure! We will do our best to help you out!

If you are going long arm, in our opinion, there is really no beating an independent 3 link front and rear with the gas tank below the frame!

You are correct as well - our stuff is 100% made in the USA. Actually, made in NY!

RK

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are going long arm, in our opinion, there is really no beating an independent 3 link front and rear with the gas tank below the frame!
What are the biggest pros and cons of 3 vs 4 link? From what i understand(or think that I do) 3 link allows for better articulation and 4 link for better highway handling? Is that why people who offroad want or like 3 link and why the factory uses 4? Is 3 link as durable as 4?

Lastly Is your system something that I can have welded on at my local fabricator and go home and install the rest myself? I understand Ill have to cut the lower brackets off. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
I have poly and rk on my rig. Both make stellar stuff. I would call them both and ask questions too.
X2

I have never heard of Synergy lifts before.
Synergy is the name of the product line that was formally under the Poly Performance brand name. We separated the 2 a little over a year ago to help with distribution.

What would you say synergy brings to the table over Rock Krawler?
There are several things that are different. A few off the top of my head are the way the kits are packaged up and their completeness. Another would be the design/engineering and finished quality. There are some noticeable difference if you have them in front of you. I have never seen and RK instructions on their kits/components but the Synergy stuff has very detailed instructions for all of the components. I suggested giving me a call if you want to know more about these and other difference.

I don't know what you consider modifying much, but you have to cut off all the stock lower control arm mounts
Yeah I saw that pretty much ANY LA kit requires cutting of factory mounts. I just didnt want to have to fabricate or seriously modify anything.[/QUOTE]

Might want to reconsider a LA kit then... All the kits I have seen require that the lower control arms be cut off at a minimum.

Another one here for Poly / Synergy I have their Stage 2 3 inch lift with the new fixed length lower control arms and could not be happier. I have had RK and TF on my other jk's and this has been the most balanced and complete kit i have installed to date.

The Suspension is quiet and it articulates remarkably well even though the control arms have rubber bushings.
:beer:

Poly or RK - you cannot go wrong. Give them a call and tell them what your objectives are and they will make it happen.

I went with Poly and have zero complaints, can't say enough good things really.
:beer:

I was always under the impression that adjustable is better for correcting alignment issues. You havent had any problems?
A few different modes of thought here... Cost is usually the biggest factor.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
What are the biggest pros and cons of 3 vs 4 link? From what i understand(or think that I do) 3 link allows for better articulation and 4 link for better highway handling? Is that why people who offroad want or like 3 link and why the factory uses 4? Is 3 link as durable as 4?

Lastly Is your system something that I can have welded on at my local fabricator and go home and install the rest myself? I understand Ill have to cut the lower brackets off. Thanks for all the help!
The brackets for the long arm mounts can be welded in by someone else, and if the slight exhaust mod was done, you could then drive it home and do the rest of the install on your own. Or you could drive it home with an open exhaust which is not recommended.

Personally, we prefer the 3 link over the 4 link and we feel it is great on the road. Typically, it is just those that do not understand the 3 link or don't trust it, that do not go with it.

Synergy and Rock Krawler have many differences.

Our instant centers are slightly different.

Rock Krawler offers adjustable anti-squat in the rear. Our mounts offer the most amount of clearance possible. That combined with our high clearance lower control arms yeilds the best cross over angles in the industry.

Rock Krawler offers a lifetime warranty on all hard parts.

Our new joints are awesome in our opinion. They are greased and then sealed. They are rebuildable and allow for +/-20 degrees of misalignment without the joint housing contacting the frame so the jam nuts on the joints are not as likely to come loose for use. They typically last 3 to 5 years without servicing or rebuilding.

Our arms are made from solid alloy steel and bent for high clearance. They take all the abuse you can throw at them.

Rock Krawler mounts are weld in versus bolt in. To each their own with that one........ But still yet a difference... We prefer welding versus drilling a bunch of holes and relyiing on fasteners. We just feel a good weld is more secure. Again, that is our opinion.

Synergy and Rock Krawler have some similarities as well.

Our roll center corrections are very similar.

Both companies are very enthusiastic and support their product lines.

RK

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.