JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions in regards to which lift kit to go with for my JK. So I currently have a 2.5" lift (just coil spacers and shock extensions) on 33" tires, but I've decided that I'd like to go a little taller. My jeep is my daily driver so it's gotta have at least some street manners, but I'd like to be able to tackle some moderate trails, which is why I'm considering a 3-4" lift. I'd like to be able to run 37" tires in the future (I have front tube fenders and I'm working on getting rears so I should be able to clear 37's easily). I've been looking at Teraflex 4" kits and Rock Krawler 3.5" kit and a few others. I'm wondering what you guys suggest for a kit, what brand and the pros/cons of them? As well as possibly the pros/cons of a long arm and short arm kit? I am somewhat on a budget (even though the lift is going to happen a few months from now), so a short arm kit would be cheaper and i could probably install it myself, and I dont really know if a LA kit would even be beneficial enough to make it worth while in the first place. I think a compete kit with upper and lower control arms and maybe track bars and possibly one that could be upgraded in the future would be what I'm after. I realize that there are a ton of different kits out there and that there might not be one that fits all of my wants but I just wanted to see what you guys thoughts were. Sorry for making this so long, but I wanted to make sure I gave you all an idea of what I'm after. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The kit you would probally do best with of the 2 would be the Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor kit for the following:

1) Will clear 35/37's easily with the flat fenders.
2) Comes with all adjustable arms and front and rear track bars.
3) You can upgrade it to Coliovers, Long Arm, 3 link, Taller springs.

I would suggest to start out with the 3.5 mid arm kit( This kit fits all your requests in your post). It will ride great on the street and give you great offroad manners. Later if you decide and as your budget allows you can simply get the long arm upgrade without having to purchace a whole new kit.

Now realize you will need to also account for driveshaft, gears, programmer, front axle gussets and sleeves. It's a whole new ballgame once you slap those 37's on. Now if you are just doing moderate trails you would do fine with 35's on a 2-Door. Your wheelbase will let you reach stuff with the 35's that 4-doors will need 37's for.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you are really under budget constraints, just add a 1" body lift for now until you can afford all the fancy stuff. I have been running 37s for quite some time with a 2.5" lift and a 1" body lift. I routinely beat the holy living crap out of my Jeep on trails that rate 7-9. Gussets/sleeves blah blah. That is all about driving style. If you know what you are doing on the trail you more than likely will not have problems. It is nice insurance to have those things, but not an absolutely have to have item. Control arms are a great upgrade, I am saving my pennies for some new ones myself, but it hasn't stopped me from wheeling. With only 2.5", it's also not that big of an issue.

If you have the money for a nice RK, Tera, Poly, or any other complete kit, I would definitely say go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it, but don't let it hold you back not being able to have ALL that stuff immediately though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Look at Polly WE run a 5.5 long arm on our 2dr rubi, w 37s Love it.Wifes DD handles great on and off road. Dont waste your money on parts your gonna outgrow go big once and be done with it

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'm currently running the Clayton 3.5" kit. I netted somewhere around the 4" range out of it. Kit included all the basics; shocks, springs, 8 adjustable control arms, discos and adjustable trackbars. Road manners are a-ok, and it is my daily driver.

Whoever mentioned it above is correct, though. Once you move to that height, keep in mind that you will need (some sooner than others) new driveshafts. And once you move to 37's (as I intend to do), gears and axle reinforcement are a plus.

Rock Krawler does make a stout kit. Not sure how their prices are, but, I know plenty of folks on here are happy with them.

Good luck. :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
It all depends on what your overall budget and purpose is.

You can easily run 37s on a 2.5" BB, 1" BL, and flat flares.

Then, you can allocate funds towards drivetrain upgrades next (chromoly axle shafts, sleeved and gusseted Dana 44 front axle or a ProRock 44, regearing, etc.).

After all that is done, if you want to do more to the suspension you can--although it isn't necessary.

Here is my write-up on this:

http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31183

Here is what you can do with a 2.5" BB, 1" BL, and flat flares on 37s:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the 3.5" Rubicon Express kit. Love it! Rides great on road and satisfies me off road

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for all the input. I really like the RK kit, it seems to be a complete kit and would probably meet and exceed everything I would need it for. As far as my budget, I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible obviously without sacrificing performance. That being said, I would love to have a long arm kit, but considering that I'm only going with 3.5 to 4" lift, I think I can get almost the same performance with a standard lift and still stay at a reasonable price range, not to mention the time and or cost of install of a long arm kit. Thanks again for all the input, its much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts