JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the Rock Krawler 5.5 mid arm lift last month and finally got a weekend that I could install it. Started at the front and was going great with the standard stopping here and there to get tools and such. I was ready to change out the front drive shaft when a friend asked about the pinion sleeve, crush versus fixed. I didn't have a clue so we did some internet searches and still could not get a real answer. We decided to wait till Sat and call Jeep to get an answer, guess what... they are crush sleeves. Dang!
So we stop for a while so I can consider the options. Well that and we also found that the rear drive shaft I had ordered was for a 2 door vice a 4 door. I later decided to wait untill I could get the rear drive shaft replaced and continue from there.
That Monday, last Monday, I went back to the store I ordered all my stuff from and showed them the mistake with the drive shaft. They called the folks that made the drive shaft and wouldn't you know that they gave us a hard time about it. Tried to say that we ordered it wrong, even though the box was clearly labled as a 4 door shaft.:pissed: After some words back and forth, they finally aggreed to send one out next day, Cali to Colorado. It was due on Wed and when I callled to see what was up I found that it did not arrive. So again they called the drive shaft folks and got some more run a round about a new kid in the packaging and shpping area. At this time we also found that when they sent my shaft, they shorted me a yoke, so again we had to call and make sure that the right size and all parts were being sent.
So come Sat, I call again and STILL no shaft! WTF?! I went over to the store again and talked with the manager and he got on the phone with the owner of the drive shaft company and stated that if this was not corrected now, that they would take their business elsewhere. You go dude! The owner kind of got uppity from what I could hear on my end and the manager just said that he would order a whole new shaft and just leave it at that.
So here it is, Monday again, and I am waiting to see if I am going to be able to finish my lift. I am leaving out the names of the parties until after I get my stuff done, but once it is on, I will be flaming the maker of the drive shaft big time.:pissed:
During the time that I was going through the fiasco of the drive shaft, I decided to go ahead and order a set of 5.13 gears for the 44's. Might as well get them in and replace the sleeve at the same time so I do not have to worry about messing up the pinion.
So, ever see a Jeep on half a lift? You will get a kick out of this.:bounce:
With stock tires

With the new 37's on front.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That's gonna screwup your gas mileage. Aerodynamics must be pretty bad. :D

A

·
0 Posts
I did the rear first on mine and it looked like a hotrod with 37s on the rear :D

Can't you use the stock drive shaft until the replacement comes in?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The maker of the lift stated that new drive shafts would have to be installed. I would rather play it safe and do it right the first time. No sense in doing it wrong and breaking something. Either way, I will get it done. Right now the front drive shaft has been removed until I am ready to finish.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm curious to hear about who these "shops" were that you had the problems with.

Let's see some more photos of the suspension.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
You won't break anything just driving down the road for a short period of time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Short period I could live with, but I had no idea how long it would take, so I played it safe. Glad I did too, because I would have been driving on it for two weeks. With this being my only wheels, I did not want to chance a break down.

Well once again the manufacturer of the drive shaft has shown their stupidity. I stood right there as the shop manager told the manufacturer to ship the drive shaft next day delivery. That was on Sat. Here it is Tuesday and we now find out that instead it was sent out ground and will not be here until Thursday!:pissed:
I am really biting my tongue here to NOT call these guys out in this forum, at least not until I have the drive shaft in hand and have verified that it is the correct one. After that all bets are off.

A

·
0 Posts
It’s always the same way for me.

When I need something in a hurry someone messes up the shipping or something. When I’m in no hurry stuff can ship from the other side of the country and it’s on my doorstep in 3 days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts