JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

The JK is our first vehicle, and I'm wondering how we can tell the clutch is finished... Does it start to slip, or does it grab too much? My wife heated the clutch a few times :pissed: She's better now, but I figure we shortened the lifespan of that clutch...

And on a related note... What are the alternatives to the OEM clutch discs? Are there kits available to improve the clutch?

Thanks,
js.

· Registered
898 Posts
Usually a clutch will start to slip if it's going. Your wife probably only shortened the service life by a little. As to the life expectancy of a JK clutch, it's hard to say. Looking at the various forums, I've seen a number of clutch issues. I can tell you that my wife's Toyota currently has about 185,000 miles on the original clutch. If any JK makes it that far I'll be amazed. :D

· Registered
934 Posts
I had 220K on my first 1987 YJ original clutch.
280K on my second YJ original clutch.
160K on my TJ original clutch.

All were wheeled hard, had 35"+ tires on them and sold with original clutch still intact.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
If driven correctly the clutch can outlast the engine. Like xtremjeepn, I've put 200k+ on a clutch before I pulled the engine and change the clutch just because I was there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.