JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Cobra 19 DX and it's going in shortly. I was hoping to gain ideas about:

1) where to mount
2) what to splice into/use for power
3) how to best hide wires
4) how happy you are with the setup or what you would change
5) advice for a first time CB install

Side question- Has anyone spliced in a cigarette lighter charger (like the one for a cell phone or GPS) to the power wires coming from the back of the CB? I thought that would be a cool way to make your unit easily removable.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
You could power it via cig lighter. However trying to hide wiring while making it "ready to go" and really.. you are trying make something that you really aren't going to take anywhere "mobile."

Mine is wired off the backside of the passenger side cig lighter, but is mounted on my cage. So that probably won't do you much good to see.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, I understand it's not a handheld I just mean if necessary it would be a much easier way to disconnect and remove. With the cig lighter cord you would obviously sacrifice hiding all of the wires, agreed.

Thanks for the input. Still interested to see different mounting locations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solid work. Unique and relatively easy to remove if necessary.

You have had that bracket on previous vehicles you say? did it always fit as nicely as it does in the JK?

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I mounted my Cobra 25 up top. Used a 1 x 1 piece of steel, cut the ends to make "ears" that would fit under the hard top, painted it, screwed it in, presto

cell phone pics are kind of crappy but you get the idea.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got much of mine in yesterday, ended up going with the standard driver's side of the console in the footwell. I wanted it low so passers-by couldn't see it but also out of the way to a degree. I decided against inside the middle console because I wanted to retain as much storage space in there as possible and because I was worried about the sound being muffled.

All I have left is to ground the antenna, connect the CB to a power source, and tune it with an SWR.

Coax went through the grommet just to the passenger side of the spare tire carrier. saved $30 by fabbing my own spare tire carrier antenna mount, based off the Teraflex one.

Sorry for the pics, I had to rush out to meet my girlfriend..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
ColinG;1227819 All I have left is to ground the antenna said:
I would suggest running your hot wire directly to the battery. You can run the ground to the battery as well or you can hit a ground bolt that is right behind the bracket that your door strap slips on.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I know you've already done your install and all, but here's something to think about, too, if you want security.

Since mounting locations for a full-size radio in a 2011+ JK are scarce, I sold my really nice Passportr 9500i radr detector to buy a Tuffy Overhead Console. Makes for a really clean install and pretty much keeps all hands off the radio the console is locked up. The only way to get the radio out is to uninstall the console, which can be cumbersome if you need to access the back of the radio for any reason.

I'm running a Cobra 29 LX LE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really a big fan of the Cobra 75 & a quick disconnect 48" Firefly. Given the ability to install the (box) under the dash, separate from the Microphone aids in a stealth installation. The Mic & it's cable can be stored anywhere. Simply screwing the Mic cable to the (box) under the dash gets you CB ready. I chose to mount my Mic to the right of the Stereo as shown.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those Cobra 29's are pretty sweet. I think you could get Showtime or HBO on that thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished up the install. I did end up going with my cig lighter idea. $8 from Radio Shack and it's switched so I can have power on/off on the radio or the lighter, LED indicator lets me know when the charger is powered on. I took much of the length out of both power cords and left a little bundle in case I ever need another foot. I also have the remaining length so I can splice it back in if I need. works great, out of of my way and removable as I need it to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
here is where i used to have mine .. took a bit of searching to find the best Head Unit and Radio combo to fit but worked out pretty good ..now its on the RR overhead Storage Console

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm having trouble tuning mine. After going through Firestik's SWR walkthrough I found mine in the 3.0 and above rating across all channels.

all connections are good and CB gets quality power but I've gotten one conversation on one channel through 5 tests. Is this likely a grounding issue? I have good clearance on the antenna so it should have a signal. what is the best way to 'test' how far you are transmitting?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I posted this on another thread...Meant to post in this one.
Radio is mounted on the side of the console. Antenna is on a custom tire carrier. The cb speaker is above my head in the padding. Had to cut out some foam but I can hear with the doors off on the freeway. The mic hanger I made. I can position the mic anywhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts