JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2011 bone stock jk. Stock stereo, no amp. I upgraded the soundbar speakers and was dissapointed. This leads me to believe that the factory radio limits the power to the rear speakers, right?. If that is the case, then would it be possible to use a bone stock stereo out of say a 2011 nitro in place of mine(I NEED to keep the stock look). I figure, any other stock stereo will not limit the output, right?. If this will work, I will THEN use an amp to push the 4 speakers.

Does this make sense? .

Please advice.

Thanks.

Gonzzo.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Or go into the back of the deck and splice the front and rear together , you will have no fade but they will sound like the front

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I thought of that but some times my son wants to listen to some stuff that I don't so I fade the speakers to the rear. Some times I fade sounds to the front so he can sleep.

Thanks for your input though.

Gonzzo.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Maybe get an impedance adapter AKA: line level converter. Run your soundbar speaker wires to it and then RCA's to an amp. Then from the amp to the rear speakers. it's an old school way of adding an amp but it will allow you keep the head unit stock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where I get stumped!. If I use a line level converter, wouldnt i be using a degraded signal since the head unit already messed with it?. Wouldn't I just be pumping up a "de-tuned" signal?.

Thanks for your help and keep it coming!.

Gonzzo.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The only way to get the sound quality you're striving for is going to cost more than a decent head unit and sub to match your new speakers. I started out with stock RES head unit and Infinity Reference coax speakers front and rear. Sucked! Secondskin Damplifier in the front pods and bar, no more resonance, still sucked! Added sub with line level tap, better, but still had a weird mismatched sound. Finally gave up on the crappy RES head unit and went with a Clarion Media HU with Bluetooth and an internally amplified Bazooka sub. The Clarion has HP and LP filters and a PEQ so I was able to tune out odd frequencies. Sounds night and day better.

The reason the stock HU sucks so bad is because of their built in sound nanny. They build a bass contour into the volume control so that as your volume increases, your bass reduces to avoid blowing speakers and avoiding warranty repairs. Lame as that is...

You can add something like the JL Audio Cleansweep or the MTX ReQ AND external amplification, but now you're spending more money and time than it's worth it to keep stock. Just my. 02. :beer:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, JKCTAZ makes sense! . I did not know there where devises like the ones he mentioned, worth looking in to. But, a fast look at the Jo cleansweep and its price, JKCTAZ makes a good point. Need to really think hard on this. New head unit with amp, or, cleansweep with amp......

Thanks gang!.

Gonzzo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts