JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a roof rack for my unlimited and wanted to see what others are running and how they like them. I love the Gobi stealth rack but I don't love the price. I do a lot of snowboarding in the winter and rafting and rock climbing in the summer so I'd like it to be something that has a basket or similar like it but I'm interested in seeing what everybody is running. thanks!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
In! I love to look at pictures of racks. :bounce:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Check out the Frontrunner rack, but it is just as spendy...

I like how the weight is supported by the factory roll bar and the a-pillars. It doesn't come standard with a basket/rail(which is why I like it) but it is an option.
I recently saw it on Amazon for $1500ish... which is in the realm of doable compared to full retail. I want to see one in person before I spend that kind of money though.

I also scrape my garage door without a rack but am currently house shopping so that problem might resolve itself.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have the Rhino Rack back bone. So far it's been good. It can use either cross bars or a platform.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Hey Rock lobster, in light of Chris85xlt's post, it might be helpful to know whether you have a hard top or soft top. HT makes the racking prospect much easier if that's a full-time presence. If you go topless, or run a soft top though, you're going to need something free-standing. Personally, I kinda like the look of the Barricade Roof Rack (http://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-roof-rack-black-jk-j100173.html) but have no personal experience with it. From the price and its modular nature, I'm sure it won't be as solid as a Gobi, but then it's a quarter the price too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes I did forget to say that I am running a soft top and do take it off in the summers. I do really like the front runner rack it's just to bad that you need a hard top for it. And the extreme terrain is not bad either But I'm not sure how I would be able to load anything on top without having to strap everything down very securely since its basically just flat but the price isn't bad and I could possibly make my own basket and mount to it.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Oh yes I did forget to say that I am running a soft top and do take it off in the summers. I do really like the front runner rack it's just to bad that you need a hard top for it. And the extreme terrain is not bad either But I'm not sure how I would be able to load anything on top without having to strap everything down very securely since its basically just flat but the price isn't bad and I could possibly make my own basket and mount to it.
Yakima and Thule sell baskets, and there are also other more offroad oriented racks available that you could mount to the Barricade rack (or other similar basic platform). Just google "offroad roof basket," and I think you'll be impressed with the variety of choices.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the hardtop/no top factor with some racks...

I have a Garvin half rack and it is a bitch to get stuff up/down from there... I'm 6'2" and relatively healthy.
Check out the Frontrunner rack, but it is just as spendy...
I recently saw it on Amazon for $1500ish... which is in the realm of doable compared to full retail.
I just looked at their site and it is now $1300ish. I could swear it was over $2000 not long ago.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I run the earlier version of the Kargomaster congo cage. Very functional. The rack tilts back to allow raising and lowering the soft top. One person can raise the rack in less then 5 minutes. Just remove one bolt on each windshield hinge and push it up. The entire rack is also easy to remove. I can do it my self with a couple of ratchet straps and a tree in my yard. I find it so easy to remove and install I typically run without the rack and install it when I need it.

Like all racks it does create some wind noise. Not unbearable but you do notice it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey nj jk did you have to drill into your body for the king cage? And are you able to mount a led light bar on the fron of it? I have a light bar and would like to keep that on my jeep if possible

·
Registered
315 Posts
No drilling. The install is very simple. Front mounting brackets install over the windshield hinges. The rear rack mounts attach to the frame at the rear bumper mounts. I do not have a light bar but imagine one could be installed. I suggest googling up some pics to see what others have done.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I run the earlier version of the Kargomaster congo cage . . .
I never looked closely enough at that rack style to confirm, but I suspected (correctly):
Front mounting brackets install over the windshield hinges . . . rear rack mounts attach to the frame . . .
. . . and I have a few questions for people who have that setup:
With the rack mounting to the body up front and the frame out back (connecting chassis to cab),
  • Is there any isolation (e.g., rubber bushing) at the mounting points at either end?
  • Do you notice increased in-cab noise, vibration, harshness (NVH) from chassis?
  • How long have you had it installed (miles, years) and do you see any cracking yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chris85XLT
Does that rack have the base permanently attached to the roof or is it clamped to the gutter rail?
I am looking for one just to be able to carry a couple kayaks. I would like to be able to take the cross bars off when not in use.
Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
Chris85XLT
Does that rack have the base permanently attached to the roof or is it clamped to the gutter rail?
I am looking for one just to be able to carry a couple kayaks. I would like to be able to take the cross bars off when not in use.
Thanks
If you have a JKU there are 6 mounting pads on top of the hard top that goes through to the internal Rhino Rack frame and OEM rollbar. The crossbar and foot bolts to these mounting pads, not the gutter rail. You can either unbolt the footing from the mounting pad or get their quick release footings. Rhino Rack Back Bone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts