·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
443 AM PST WED JAN 2 2008

...THE STRONGEST OF A SERIES OF STORMS WILL AFFECT THE REGION FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT BRINGING HIGH WINDS AND HEAVY SNOW..

.SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE DANGEROUS AND POSSIBLY LIFE THREATENING WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...MAKING TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE ACROSS SIERRA PASSES. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO TAPER TO SHOWERS ON SATURDAY BEFORE ANOTHER POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT STORM MOVES INTO THE AREA SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. FOUR DAY SNOWFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 8 FEET ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH SUNDAY IN THE SIERRA. PERSONS PLANNING TRAVEL IN THE SIERRA FOR THIS PERIOD SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS AT WEATHER.GOV/RENO OR LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO.
SNOW RUN!

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weather picture has it hitting Colorado a little later but the main squeeze will be taking place over the I80 corridor it seems.

The wind has already started.....

3* is balmy. :thefinger: When I have been out in my observatory at night last winter I took some temp readings at -15. Seriously though, when I can move I'm heading south. Even if I have to travel to run the Rubicon and Fordyce, I'm getting too old for this cold shazbat! Farmington looks like a fun little place. :grinpimp:

·
14ers
479 Posts
Snow Run !

Michael,
I'm going on a snow run with some buddies in a couple weeks in the Sierras. First time I'm taking MY rig and stuff. First time I will actually be paying attention.

I assume you've made a couple since you have the perfect circumstances. I'm hoping you could supply a couple suggestions and a few words of wisdom? :D

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plan for a darn good time but prepare for the worst.
A couple thermos's of hot liquid.
Lot's of extra warm clothes and blankets.
Extra gloves and socks.
I usually take two pairs of snow boots too.
A couple of large tarps.
Many candles.

Driving in fresh snow is a blast! You can have all kinds of fun getting all kinds of squirrley. Some of the tamest turn into little beasties when covered in snow. Driving on snow trails is often more like playing on a sand dune than 4-low action in fact you will probably not use 4-low as much as 4-hi as you will need speed and momentum to plow and push your way to the top of a hill.

You should hopefully know the trail or be with someone who does. This way you can avoid some of the biggest problems with driving in the snow which is not exactly knowing what it is you are driving on.

Snow wheeling is a lot of fun. I would recommend at least one vehicle having an operational winch as getting stuck is part of the attraction as you try to make a hill or go through a drift.

Snow is slippery stuff and side hills become a little more dicey. Once the snow let's go and gravity takes over you are just along for the ride.

Oh and once you get stuck, do not try to power out as snow quickly becomes ice and melts away. Then you will be resting on your full undercarriage and it will be more difficult to pull you off. Once you get stuck, take the rope. ;)

Don't forget the usual assortment of tools and shovels.

Take a picnic lunch and a couple of el-cheapo sleds for some more winter fun.

Start out early and head back early. You don't want to be left out in the cold, when it is dark.

Tell someone exactly where you are going and when you will be back.

:beer:

·
Registered
37 Posts
3* is balmy. :thefinger: When I have been out in my observatory at night last winter I took some temp readings at -15.
its 40 celcious today here or near enough to 100deg f

·
Registered
43 Posts
i want some snow!!!! Here we got a few inches last night...but come on!!! I would like at least a foot!!!!!!
I am going to this thing called Sno Blind next month with hubbo and there is snow up north....:D

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I just went and played in the snow yesterday. There is none at my house but I live at the foothills of the Cascades (in Washington). I went up and got into about 3 feet of snow before I decided to head back. I wasn't as prepared for it as I would like to have been. Right after I turned around I got stuck in about 2.5 feet of snow. It was raining really heavy and I hit a spot that all four tires dropped through the snow. One of those fun, sittining 100 on the undercarriage type of situations. Anyway, dug myself out and slept well last night!

Here is the only pic that turned out, lol. It was the first then all the others had rain on the lense :pissed:

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
It was in the 50s, 60s, & 70's last week. It was sooo awesome. :smokin:

.... and then we got 10" dropped on us yesterday. :shaking: :laughing:
Are you serious? That is crazy weather changes. Here in the Northwest it will never do that. It gets cold and rainy but only getts cold enough that it is 1 degree above snowing for like a moonth. We will get a couple inches of soggy snow and back to rain. It will do that for months on end, lol...I miss the sun:bawling:

·
Registered
749 Posts
It was in the 50s, 60s, & 70's last week. It was sooo awesome. :smokin:

.... and then we got 10" dropped on us yesterday. :shaking: :laughing:
Hey IPE,..you guys have been getting hit hard up in the NE.....wev'e been waiting for a big hit here Central Pa but right on past us & up to you everytime. Enjoy.

·
14ers
479 Posts
Thanks Michael,
Pretty common sense stuff. Not far from a dry trail checklist. We played some in Mammoth and S. Tahoe. Seems to pull out and keep momentum better than the 4 ton X did. I'm guessing because it's lighter...:)

A

·
0 Posts
Yeah... I'll be sure to do that... :shaking: ;) :laughing:

Hey, at least its pretty! :laughing:
We are having a weird one today in Colo. 50* high this morning and it's dropping fast to 7* by the time I drive home and it's supposed to be -1 overnight :bawling:

I'm done with winter already!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If winter would have the common decency to get cold and stay cold, say mid, lower 20's and then warm up at the end of the season, well that would be great. :)
But this warm one week, cold the next is a royal PITA. :pissed:
I was soooo ready for winter to be over last week...

Oh well, March/April will be here soon, I guess. :shaking: :bawling:

·
14ers
479 Posts
Yeah. It was the same in Tahoe ... 2 weeks ago there were below freezing temps only to jump to mid to high 40's the following week. Ruins the 10 feet of new snow. Nothing like 3' of powder for my new board! :bounce:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Damn...I grew up in the Pittsburgh area. I remember building snow forts and dipping our snowballs in water to ice them up for maximum carnage. We just recently moved to NC and now I'm hoping for sleet LOL!! Oh well....:bounce:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts