JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a few on here have kids and can appreciate the growing pains for all so I figured I would share a quick one that didnt cost too much in the end....

Son recently replaced the slave cylinder on his TJ and I was super proud he took it upon himself/got it done. FF to you might as well replace the fluid since we had a couple quarts of MTL in the garage so I gave him 2 pointers. Make sure you get the fill plug loose before you drain it and whatever you do dont cross thread the plugs when reinstalling.

First part went well.....couple days later we have it in the driveway to drill a few drain holes in the frame and I have fluid dripping in my face from the cross threaded drain plug-

Luckily didnt gorilla it and the trans shop was able to clean the thread and flushed it out for $180-

3 days worth of work $ making burritos and his TJ is leak free

Still need to do the drain holes-lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts

those're the lessons that stick w/ us, right?

I got the 15yr old daughter targeting my schweet XJ as
'her ride' ...so, this is headed my way, too.

at least w/ a son , you only have to worry about one d*ck. I have to
worry about all of them havin' a daughter....

:cwm13:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yup, lessons learned the hard way stick with you for the rest of your life. Probably why I am anal about oil and probably changing it a little too often.

I did the bone head of running my truck out of oil. Went to drag my brother out of a ditch (drunk). I get back to town and the truck is locked up. New engine, a shit town of summer work for my dad: field mowing, barb wire fencing, cow this&that, till my debt was paid.

Still had zero indications on that truck that it ran out of oil though. No smell, gauges, anything. Ran down the road fine. At least it stopped in a Wally World parking lot and not right next to my brothers ditch job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
those're the lessons that stick w/ us, right?

I got the 15yr old daughter targeting my schweet XJ as

'her ride' ...so, this is headed my way, too.

at least w/ a son , you only have to worry about one d*ck. I have to

worry about all of them havin' a daughter....

:cwm13:
Hopefully

Wish I didnt have to worry but my son is the least of my gray hairs. 2 daughters and the 17yo looks like a runway model and my going on 13 yo really marches to her own beat and wants my JK when that time comes.

Throw in the wife and 2 female dogs and son pretty much steers clear of the insanity.

We got the daughter a 03 grand so we have 2 03 drivetrains he can learn on-

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, lessons learned the hard way stick with you for the rest of your life. Probably why I am anal about oil and probably changing it a little too often.

I did the bone head of running my truck out of oil. Went to drag my brother out of a ditch (drunk). I get back to town and the truck is locked up. New engine, a shit town of summer work for my dad: field mowing, barb wire fencing, cow this&that, till my debt was paid.

Still had zero indications on that truck that it ran out of oil though. No smell, gauges, anything. Ran down the road fine. At least it stopped in a Wally World parking lot and not right next to my brothers ditch job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that is a good one. I like even when it's a shit show we all can find that silver lining. Breaking down in a parking lot is much better than the middle of nowhere

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The learning experience in full fuck me mode-lol. 14 holes and 1 drill bit later still working on getting the broken balancer off the crank....little more nibbling should be able to get the cover off and give us some room to pull the last bit off.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally....ground a couple grooves for the bearing puller to catch and a two arm puller did the trick. Now to finally finish/replace the timing chain and button back up. What a pita.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black Friday special TJ hardtop for $475. That is a steal around these parts and was less that his soft top

Gives it a whole new look/son is happy and my shopping is done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts