JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like i got another Gremlin. I was closing up the shop tonight and hit the lights and noticed a faint glow on the rear LEDS. Its very faint and doesnt draw lots of power because the Jeep hasnt moved in over a week and started up just fine. Any ideas why these would stay powered? I swapped in a set of regular incandescent 4 inch rounds and its not enough juice to light those up

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I had the same chit going on with my Recon turn signals..... weird. I also added resistors and still have the hyper flash on the passenger's side. I emailed Tech and will report out what they say about the dim LEDs when the Jeep is off.

They went out after a while and have not done it since last night.... :shaking:

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been running the same lights for months and the jeep sits weeks at a time so its not hurting anything. but now im annoyed lol

keep me posted on what they have to say. I have not added resistors i just have delt with the machine gun blink

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My hypothesis is that there is residual capacitance on the circuit for your lights. Being that LEDs take next to nothing to power, they dimly light.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I have not added resistors i just have delt with the machine gun blink
x2

mine have always done it. kinda annoying but at the same time kinda neat. they do dim out. but i have also noticed that if i open the rear gate and shut it the passenger side will flash as to almost shoot the remaining power left in the circuit out? only one time though after i shut the jeep off.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2

mine have always done it. kinda annoying but at the same time kinda neat. they do dim out. but i have also noticed that if i open the rear gate and shut it the passenger side will flash as to almost shoot the remaining power left in the circuit out? only one time though after i shut the jeep off.
X2 - on the opening the rear gate and etc. (exact same), happens to me with the ORO litedots.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i notice the flash when you open the gate or a rear door just never gave it much thought

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Thats pretty odd, any of you guys try making a ground strap back there? From the tub to the frame or something?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
my 2cents - i found some LED bulbs to swap in on my factory taillights.... I had the same issue. I didn't like it, so i changed them out to some "super white" regular bulbs.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Thats pretty odd, any of you guys try making a ground strap back there? From the tub to the frame or something?
Their response was basically this. They said to ensure that the ground is sound and to go to the chassis with a screw. I might try a self tapper under the front somewhere just to see. They also said that I could try adding another resistor..... Which is strange because the right one is perfect.... If both of them were a little dim for a few minutes after you shut it down it would be kinda cool, like you meant for it to do that but only one looks like something is fucked up..

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
same deal with my LED front turn signals
faint glow for a few minutes after shutoff and a flicker when you open the door
I just go the microsoft route and call it a feature,not a bug:thefinger:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Their response was basically this. They said to ensure that the ground is sound and to go to the chassis with a screw. I might try a self tapper under the front somewhere just to see. They also said that I could try adding another resistor..... Which is strange because the right one is perfect.... If both of them were a little dim for a few minutes after you shut it down it would be kinda cool, like you meant for it to do that but only one looks like something is fucked up..
I'd just run a quick jumper from the battery to a good screw/area in the back to see if the ground does anything for you before messin with much else. May fix it, grounds can do screwy things!

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think i have a bad ground somewhere. I just havent bothered to chase it down.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My poison spyder led taillights do this too. the flash when you open a door, and the always on, but only a few leds and super dim thing....and the machine gun flash. i've upgraded the resistors too, but no changes....

So a basic graound issus is where we're all leaning? Could the CB ground be messing with all of this? Any solution would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I don't think its a ground issue, you guys are having it on the tails, mine does it on the front turn signals
more likely a canbus thing than a ground thing

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Very little power is required to light up an LED... if there is the least bit of power left in the Jeep's electrical system... the lights are probably getting the power from that. I play around with LED's quite a bit... 2 LED's with a resistor plugged into a 12v power supply, if you unplug the power supply the LED's will stay on for 30 seconds or so, not full power just a dim glow.

That's my 2 cents... :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just to jump on the bandwagon, I have this "feature" as well with my LEDs! :bounce:

·
Registered
70 Posts
In order for led turn signals to work properly you have to install an electronic flasher in place of the oem unit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts