JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, First of all let me say hello everyone. Im looking for some help with my LED installation. I bought some LEDs to put in that hook up through the cigarete lighter. How can I wire it so it wont need to be plugged into the the lighter port. Keep in mind, Im a senior in high school, so Im a novice. Thanks for the help in advance.

Here are some pics of what I have right now.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Not a big deal, hack the plug off of the end, it may have a fuse in the plug, if it does get a small inline fuse holder from radio shack or somewhere and install it on the positive feed. Even if it doesn't have a fuse put one on so it doesnt short, small amp fuse for the lights. Anyway take the positive and hook it up to the positive wire on the back of the cig lighter harnes and the other wire is the ground. Basically the center pin of the plug is positive and the outside is the ground, on the cig lighter the center is positive and the outside is the negative. be sure to try to fuse it, they may take a 5 ot 10 amp fuse at the most but I dout it will be much, the cig lighters are 20 25 amp fused so if the lights short it will probably not be enough to pop the fuse but it will be enough to cause serious issues. Hope this helps, looks good by the way.

A cooler place to tap in for the lights would be the ac control lights that way you can dim them when you want.

A great source of 12v help is ### . the12volt . c o m not sure if you can link here or not. If you need more help let me know I am about to do the same with individual led's, I just got done doing the "blinker mod" the other day, you need to do that as well, and don't forget to think about adding one to the glove box so you can find stuff if you need it at night.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Oh and hard wire that gps/ipod/ or what ever it is on the dash, eyes are tired sorry, drop the wire at the gap between the dash and windsheild, fuse the positive again and tap it into the pink with white stripe at the ignition switch and ground it somewhere, frame, or the ground location for the led's. That will help clean up the cables.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for that. I got to looking at it, and I think Ill have to take apart the plug. Theres only one wire running from the light to the plug. So I guess the + and - wires are run in there some how. I thought about doing that, but I want to be able to dim them separately. I was told it is a real pain to get LEDs to dim correctly though.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
not sure if you can link here or not.
feel free to link to anywhere (providing it's not something off the wall, and even then provide a warning) including any vendor, forum or whatever.

this is about giving information, not stymying the flow like you might have experienced at jk-forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Where can I find a diagram on how to take the front of that part of the dash off, or the whole dash for that matter. I want to put an LED in each off the AC vents. And how can I do a separate dimmer switch for them(not wiring to the lights that dim on the dash)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts