JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing that the lights do not get hot enough to melt the snow and ice that collect on them during the winter time. Any truth to that?

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
The newer ones, Truck Lites for sure, have radiant heat like the rear hatch glass to melt the snow. I imagine the more expensive models like JWS will have this taken care of also.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Depends on what you call winter. At -40 in any real snowfall, even the guys with hid's have issues. My JWS do well in snow if the temps are -10 or warmer. Beyond that I have had to stop a couple times and chip off ice.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've been hearing that the lights do not get hot enough to melt the snow and ice that collect on them during the winter time. Any truth to that?
I've had the first 2 generations of the Truck-Lites.
I've had tons of problems with both while driving through snow and ice storms in the Lake Tahoe area.

If I didn't move Texas I'd be getting the heated versions ASAP.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Depends on what you call winter. At -40 in any real snowfall, even the guys with hid's have issues. My JWS do well in snow if the temps are -10 or warmer. Beyond that I have had to stop a couple times and chip off ice.
My HID's will slush over in heavy snow/rain when below freezing but the output is still adequate. The housings get warm, but not enough to completely solve build up issues. I've found wax or rainX on the lamp helps shed the build up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I get buildup on the outer edges of my stock headlights when its snowing real good. I'm in the market right now for led's, still trying to make up my mind. Most of the led's look like they have flatter lenses which would be easier to scrape the ice and junk off of. Might go heated although some companies say their lights don't have issues with snow buildup even without the heated element.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts