JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie here who recently picked up a new '13 Rock Lobster Red Unlimited JK. Love the Wrangler so far at 400 miles but HATE the weak headlights. My mods so far have been a set of black 17" Moab edition alloy wheels (came with 16" steelies), Moab edition rock sliders, and a Trail Armor bug deflector. My mods will be minimal but i just bit the bullet and purchased a set of Truck-Lite LED headlights and will be installing them this weekend. I have read nothing but positive reviews on these and look forward to much better night vision.

My second LED mod will be replacing the stock tail light housings with antiquated incandescent bulb technology. After researching the market I have decided to go with Isee-Systems genuine military composite LED tail lights. The robust military spec build quality, cool look, longevity, and increased rear visibility will hopefully offset the premium selling price. I plan to post some pics of the installs and before/after lighting differences so stay tuned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It's Saturday morning and time to for the install. Here are the Truck-Lite LED's fresh out of the box. They are significantly heavier than the plastic OEM headlights

Here is a photo before the install

The 6 upper plastic retainers were removed and the lower grill was popped out to get to this point. You will need to forceful when pulling the lower 6 hold down clips out of the retainers, just be careful and use a quick snapping motion

Grab your T15 Torx bit to remove the 4 screws that retain each stock headlight

Now remove the electrical connection from the headlight. You will need to slide the red clip to pop off the connection

You will need part 96630 Truck-Lite H4 to H13 adapters to install the LED's. This was actually the hardest part of the install. This is not an OEM part and needs some finesse to make it snap together

Adapter installed and ready for mounting

Now just reverse all of the steps and here is what they look like

Here is another shot

And with them turned on. Can't wait to hit the road tonight after it gets dark to see the difference in visibility. I will post the install of the Isee-Systems military LED JK tail lights once they arrive in 2-3 weeks (built to order)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LED HEADLAMP UPDATE: I have done a fair amount of night driving since the install and I am VERY impressed so far. The lighting is SO much better than stock that I am not questioning my $400 LED lighting update anymore. Chrysler is really missing the boat by not offering an LED factory headlamp option on Wrangler models.

My Isee-Systems LED tail lights finally showed up today via UPS. Order took 2-weeks to arrive at my door and I am impressed so far. They appear to have OEM vendor quality and the wiring is neat and tidy and very well done. The install looks pretty simple (plug and play, no splicing wires or cutting into body sheet metal) and includes both resistors. Vendor claims a $100 price increase is coming soon, so keep in mind if considering a set. I hope to install these bright OEM looking tail lights within the next day or so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
These lights are genuine US Military products as seen on all vehicles including Mine Resistant Armored Personnel Carriers (MRAP), HWMMV (Hummer), Abrams Main Battle Tank and many more. They are also modified with Grote Industries High Intensity White 'SuperNova' Reversing Markers and Red Side Markers with Reflectors. Unlike many off-shore imports, the lights are marked with all necessary SAE and DOT markings to enhance driver safety.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Super simple install, only 2 tools needed. I think it took me a total of 30-minutes from start to finish. Here is a shot of the interior of the OEM vs. the new tail lights. Unlike the OEM lights these even include a plastic lip to hold the outer edge of the light snug against the body (see screwdriver tip).

Here is a pic of the resistors (required to eliminate fast blinking turn signals)

They are pre-installed on brackets so installation is a breeze

Electrical connections made and plastic tied for a secure connection. It does not matter how the bullet connector resistor wires are connected, they will work either way. Be sure to test all lights before securing housing to body

Here is a pic of the final installation

Before

And after. I also installed a Warrior license plate bracket so all of my rear lighting is now LED (3rd brake light is OEM from factory). I may change my front turn signals to LED's when a quality product becomes available. I have read some bad reviews of the Recon front turn signal LED's and not many other options are available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
UPDATE: I ended up removing the LED tail lights and returned them for a refund. Due to the opaque red colored lens over the LED's they were simply not as bright as I wanted. I have a set of Warrior tail light boxes on order and a pair of 4" Optronics LED tail/brake/turn signal lamps on order. I will post pics in the next week or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No flickering in the headlights?

I have the Speaker 8700s and Speaker Fogs. Wiring was fun to learn but I figured it all out. Headlights flickered, fogs strobed while off... hehe :koolaid:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No flickering in the headlights?

I have the Speaker 8700s and Speaker Fogs. Wiring was fun to learn but I figured it all out. Headlights flickered, fogs strobed while off... hehe :koolaid:
Zero flickering on these quality LED's. I can't imagine going back to the OEM headlamps, they absolutely sucked.

·
Registered
77 Posts
UPDATE: I ended up removing the LED tail lights and returned them for a refund. Due to the opaque red colored lens over the LED's they were simply not as bright as I wanted. I have a set of Warrior tail light boxes on order and a pair of 4" Optronics LED tail/brake/turn signal lamps on order. I will post pics in the next week or so.
I found these iSee tail lights very bright, much brighter than the stock tail lights with LED bulbs inside.
I really love my iSee tail lights and recommend them to everyone .
You should have kept them.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Time to get a vendor star, fucker...

The only thing you talk about is these overpriced pieces of plastic!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts