JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been through TWO sets of LED headlights. NEITHER work properly. They come on BRIGHT-mode when shifted into drive, and turn OFF when in park, while the switch is in the off position. I do not have DRL's in my 2008 JK, but I'm now driving with the BRIGHTS on, during the day.... I'm frustrated, and lost. Any help? (Tips for responses: I am NOT a mechanic. Lol)
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
OP, not all LED lights are "plug n' play" with the JK's architecture. Since you yourself stated you are not a mechanic, I'm going to assume you don't care about the specifics around why your LEDs are not working and probably just want a plug in solution that works. Since we know nothing about your lights, it's tough to recommend how to make them work. As @coilrod mentioned above, you can fool around with cheapo Chinese LED lights that may or may not work, or you can go with a set of name-brand lights that have the hardware built in to get the lights to play nice with your Jeep. Welcome to JKO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a 2011 2-door Jeep JK used a little over a year ago that already had after-market LED headlights installed. Less than a year later, the headlights started randomly deciding to work or not work. Sometimes jiggling the wires would get them to come on. Without knowing specifically what was installed and not being a mechanic, would you recommend replacing the lights with Quadratec's or something similar? Not looking to spend a ton of money, but don't want to waste money on junk either.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Bought a 2011 2-door Jeep JK used a little over a year ago that already had after-market LED headlights installed. Less than a year later, the headlights started randomly deciding to work or not work. Sometimes jiggling the wires would get them to come on. Without knowing specifically what was installed and not being a mechanic, would you recommend replacing the lights with Quadratec's or something similar? Not looking to spend a ton of money, but don't want to waste money on junk either.
No matter what aftermarket headlight you use it is going to do that. I tried at least two different headlights, the cheap China one's and Quadretec's premium $600 headlights. It's the OEM wiring harness connector doesn't fully connect or like the aftermarket plugs. I finally hard wired my headlights and no problems.

During my research I was told this is a common problem with LEDs and to get an anti-flicker device. I did. Still flickered and went out. Then I was told you need to ziptie and tape the connections. I did. It still flickered and went out. Then I swapped out the factory harness thinking that was bad. Still flickered. I switched from cheap China to Premium Quadretec still flickered and went out. That's when I hard wired.

The headlights I have from Quadretec were exclusively engineered by JW Speaker. I documented it all on my blog (JeepMomma) My theory from 2018 was... "my theory is the problem lies with the connection between the factory headlight plug and the aftermarket plug. I believe certain headlight plugs just don't connect well enough, especially if you off road a lot and bounce around on the trails."

I am 99.9% sure that is the problem

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Wow! You confirmed my suspicion regarding the wiring since sometimes jiggling gets them to work and I appreciate you giving me the lowdown, cause I have a feeling I would have gone down the same route.
I tested EVERYTHING. I switched headlights around thinking it was one side vs. the other. The Flicker device. The zipties and tape. The factory harness from the Jeep to the headlight. The new headlights. Honestly I loved the Auxbeam headlights. I felt they were the brightest but I thought the problem at first was the cheapness.

My headlights are okay now. But I do miss the Auxbeam's. I just deal and drive with high beams on. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Sorry for this one last post, but I watched your Quadratec install video. How did the plug and play on those work? Did you still have to hardwire?
Yes that was the second set I got. The flicker wasn't as bad but they would randomly go out. I got pulled over by police twice. Once I got out and reached in and jiggled the light and it went back on. The second time that didn't work. The officer gave me a warning ticket. After that I just hard wired. My blog. JeepMomma.com and search headlights. It should bring up all the posts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No matter what aftermarket headlight you use it is going to do that. I tried at least two different headlights, the cheap China one's and Quadretec's premium $600 headlights. It's the OEM wiring harness connector doesn't fully connect or like the aftermarket plugs. I finally hard wired my headlights and no problems.

During my research I was told this is a common problem with LEDs and to get an anti-flicker device. I did. Still flickered and went out. Then I was told you need to ziptie and tape the connections. I did. It still flickered and went out. Then I swapped out the factory harness thinking that was bad. Still flickered. I switched from cheap China to Premium Quadretec still flickered and went out. That's when I hard wired.

The headlights I have from Quadretec were exclusively engineered by JW Speaker. I documented it all on my blog (JeepMomma) My theory from 2018 was... "my theory is the problem lies with the connection between the factory headlight plug and the aftermarket plug. I believe certain headlight plugs just don't connect well enough, especially if you off road a lot and bounce around on the trails."

I am 99.9% sure that is the problem
That. Had/have similar issue with the Quadratechs. Compared the QT plug to the original lights and discovered the pins are shorter on the QT's. I bent the pins slightly and used dielectric grease on the connectors. Seems to have helped for a bit.

IceColeNH on an Android Smaht Fone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bet the root cause is voltage/amperage. Not disputing what Jeep Momma wrote, but her hard work and testing supports my theory in that the factory wiring is not thick enoug to deliver enough bang to the lights, and since LED's are very picky when it comes to feeding them (hence the recommendation for anti-flicker boxes), they do whatever the hell they choose to when the voltage is low.

Oddly enough, lower voltages need weirdly thick wires to transfer power over longer distances, and even three feet is a long distance for 12 volts. Looking at my 2016 wranglers headlight wiring (factory), it's no wonder the lights are sub par. Definitely should bump up a gauge or two.

OP's problem probably is that selecting gear bumps voltage just a tad bit, enoug to trigger the lights.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I bet the root cause is voltage/amperage. Not disputing what Jeep Momma wrote, but her hard work and testing supports my theory in that the factory wiring is not thick enoug to deliver enough bang to the lights, and since LED's are very picky when it comes to feeding them (hence the recommendation for anti-flicker boxes), they do whatever the hell they choose to when the voltage is low.

Oddly enough, lower voltages need weirdly thick wires to transfer power over longer distances, and even three feet is a long distance for 12 volts. Looking at my 2016 wranglers headlight wiring (factory), it's no wonder the lights are sub par. Definitely should bump up a gauge or two.

OP's problem probably is that selecting gear bumps voltage just a tad bit, enoug to trigger the lights.
Since I took the plug outa the equation just soldered the wires together no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts