JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my foglight bulbs went out last night, so I'm on a search today to replace the bulbs. I don't really care for the HID hookup with ballast and all. I'd prefer to just get the bulb replacement.

Anywho, I ran across this and was wondering if anybody has them.

Seems like the ad on the website contradicts itself. "Please note, these are bright for LED! But LED bulbs are never as bright as a regular halogen light bulb."
Which tells me, don't bother if you want a fog light bulb to actually do what its meant to do, but maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.hidxenonlights.com/led-car-bulbs-c-515/h10-9145-white-led-bulbs-p-675

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
LEDs seem to be better getting being seen and not seeing with. Make sense? I wouldn't expect them to light up the road better than stock, surely nowhere NEAR the output of an HID

·
Registered
29 Posts
these wont give any sort of light you can use,
i had 63 leds in each of my reverse lights and you can barely see anything,
look good but not practical,

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LEDs seem to be better getting being seen and not seeing with. Make sense? I wouldn't expect them to light up the road better than stock, surely nowhere NEAR the output of an HID
Absolutely! LED's do not "throw" out the light.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Those million 'bubble' led lights don't put out nearly the amount of light that a SMD (the one above) does.

I do have LED headlights I'll be trying soon as the right parts show up to install them. Also have smd LED rock lights that do very well. The style of LED does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'd recommend a 3000K HID setup for fogs. It's a nice yellow hue and the HID floods the roadway with light.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
It's all in the reflector housing. Light is light is light, no matter what's putting it out. Take a Surefire or Pelican flashlight out for an example.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mines were smd leds still no where near bright enough for a fog light,

·
Registered
803 Posts
It's all in the reflector housing. Light is light is light, no matter what's putting it out. Take a Surefire or Pelican flashlight out for an example.
If it only would be that easy in real life :).
The individual high output LEDs like CREE, Luxeon,...etc. that are used for such bulbs have a high lumens/watt light output but individually they cannot obtain the light output of a single high power filament or gas discharge bulb, which means that multiple LEDs have to be combined to get the desired light output and due to the narrow beam pattern of each individual LED it is difficult to obtain a "pleasing" uniform beam pattern out of it (Multiple beam hot spots, odd edge lines).
Second worry point for LED bulbs that go into standard fixtures that are designed for incandescent bulbs is heat dissipation since LEDs are very heat sensitive and insufficient cooling will reduce their light output very quickly so new they might be nice and bright but who knows for how long ;)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
another thought to think about. most leds have a very "cool" light color to them. where as for a fog light to actually be useful in fog it needs to be more yellow.

·
Registered
803 Posts
another thought to think about. most leds have a very "cool" light color to them. where as for a fog light to actually be useful in fog it needs to be more yellow.
There are high power yellow LEDs in the 3000K color temperature range however their light output tends to be lower than their bluish cool white cousins in the 6000K color temp range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts