JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I frequently go for extended backpacking trips but never fully feel secure leaving my Jeep at the trailhead. Knowing it's sitting there for days on end unattended makes me nervous. Maybe I need to hike more remote trails. What do you guys do? Ever return to a vandalized vehicle?

·
Coonasian
1,835 Posts
Man, I hate leaving mine for a few hours of hiking. They are so easy to abuse. It really sucks.:(

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Worry...I live in Miami enough said. Never mind the trails, I worry about my driveway at home and parking lot at work!:suicide: Rough down here.

Seriously though, not much that can be done other than not going. What fun is that.

Last October up in the mountains I saw a few nicely setup Jeeps at an Appalachian Trail head and one had two very nice Trek mountain bikes mounted on the trailer. Presumed locked but still they could have been cannibalized bikes and rigs.

My guess someone is usually packin near by and lead hurts a lot!

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Man, I hate leaving mine for a few hours of hiking. They are so easy to abuse. It really sucks.:(
Yeah, especially with other gear in it. I need a rear Tuffy deck lid thingie to give a false sense of security. It would make my hikes a lot better mind fucking myself.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
^^^ I really think that is the best idea.

When I was dealing with a passengers broken arm and my hydrolocked JKX sat for a week 100 miles away, our clothes were stolen, some camping gear, and a pirate sword. There would have been mechanical thefts as well but there was a guy "watching it"

I have also returned to find:
food and debris in my open jeep.
A gutted console with a "call me" note
A shattered front windshield
Beer flooded console & glovebox
Markered graffiti

This is petty shit, but bothersome. Now we try to leave the Jeep and ride to wherever with locals... Jeople are great. Theives and vandals, not so much. And slinging lead sounds great, but have you ever discussed an out-of-state CCL with a LEO? :suicide:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts