JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, while I was under my Jeep installed the engine skid, I noticed something bad.....

OK, so I can't be the first guy to have this happen.

I know a new driveshaft is the final answer...but I need to patch this for about 3 weeks until the Jeep fund replenishes...

Looking for ideas to stop the loss of grease until I can put together the $$$ for the new shaft.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
If it doesn't get worse, you'll be ok for a while. My front did this when I first installed my lift, but didn't continue. I think when you change the angle of the shaft the boot squeezes some of the grease out because of the new shape.

Just my $ .02.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It looks like the boot was rubbing on the housing part too. If you're not going to be wheeling it before you get a new shaft maybe you should just pull it off now. It could still serve as a trail spare on you won't have to worry about it failing and causing other problems going down the highway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's definately because of the lift. I think I was lucky I got about 2,500 miles out of it since the lift before it started to fail.
FWIW it's a 3" Teraflex lift, with just the adj. lower control arms, not the uppers, so the front pinion angle is a little compromised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts