JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had ARB lockers, diff covers and gears installed in my JK, passenger side axle seal started leaking on the way home. Leaked for 3 days, at first a lot then go slower now none at all. Diff fluid level is still good on the dip stick seal is not leaking anymore sounds like it was over full right?

I would have taken it back to the shop but they are 4 hours from my house and I picked up my JK after they closed.

· Registered
11,420 Posts
This is not a sign of it being overfull, what it could just be is they pulled the axles and there was oil in the tube that eventually drained out [by turning].

If it's not leaking now, carry on.

· Premium Member
3,218 Posts
They are a bitch to install....I guess if you had the proper tool it would have went smooth... we ended up destroying both new seals during our makeshift process...forced to put the originals back in and no leaks ever since.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
X3, what a PITA to instll. Yukon makes a real nice heavy duty press kit but its over $100, not going to happen. There is a thread on here somewhere that roughs out making your own press. I went that route and got them in but damn they are a tight ass fit.

We are assuming the OP is talking bout his front axle and the inner axle seals. I guess there could be a chance he is talking about his rear outer seals?

· Registered
484 Posts
X3, what a PITA to instll. Yukon makes a real nice heavy duty press kit but its over $100, not going to happen. There is a thread on here somewhere that roughs out making your own press. I went that route and got them in but damn they are a tight ass fit.

We are assuming the OP is talking bout his front axle and the inner axle seals. I guess there could be a chance he is talking about his rear outer seals?
Here is that thread that shows how to make your own axle seal press: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=425844

I ended up taking my Jeep to a Jeep shop to have them R&R the seals. The axle sleeve made it too difficult to remove myself.

· Registered
890 Posts
If they pulled both axles at the same time before pulling the cover and draining the fluid, then what is happening is to be expected.

You say that the fluid level is okay because it is on the dipstick. Did the put a grind mark on the dipstick to show what the level is to be? Asking cause just to have some on the dipstick doesn't mean its the right level. Dipsticks come unmarked and are longer, so they have to marked for each application.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the leak has stopped completely. Oil level is about 1&1/4 on the dipstick. Was just reading and looked at ARB's website on how to compare it to the normal drain plug and seems spot on now. Either way I think they over filled it but they did gears, lockers, and a truss system. Have had a lot of issues with the quality of the work.

· Registered
484 Posts
Well the leak has stopped completely. Oil level is about 1&1/4 on the dipstick. Was just reading and looked at ARB's website on how to compare it to the normal drain plug and seems spot on now. Either way I think they over filled it but they did gears, lockers, and a truss system. Have had a lot of issues with the quality of the work.
Yes, you do. I've read through your thread. I'd be loading the shotgun and marching back to that shop to correct things. Hope you can get things squared away to your standard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.