JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running 6 KC 130 lights on my rig and it's killing my battery. I just bought a yellow top and inquired w/ the parts guy about a larger alternator for the JK. He said he didn't even have a stock alternator for a JKunlimited, much less an upgrade.

Before I start chasing this thing around, I thought Id ask you guys. Anyone know a part # for a larger alternator for a JK? Or do you think the yellow top would be enough? Im good w/ some things mechanical, but electrical stuff baffles me.

FWIW: I plan on adding at least 2 more KC driving lights facing forward and 2 more facing backwards in the future.

Thanks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I am running 6 KC 130 lights on my rig and it's killing my battery. I just bought a yellow top and inquired w/ the parts guy about a larger alternator for the JK. He said he didn't even have a stock alternator for a JKunlimited, much less an upgrade.

Before I start chasing this thing around, I thought Id ask you guys. Anyone know a part # for a larger alternator for a JK? Or do you think the yellow top would be enough? Im good w/ some things mechanical, but electrical stuff baffles me.

FWIW: I plan on adding at least 2 more KC driving lights facing forward and 2 more facing backwards in the future.

Thanks.
That's a LOT of friggin lights, that a jeep or a plane? :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

I have not seen anyone with a higher output alternator.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a LOT of friggin lights, that a jeep or a plane? :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

I have not seen anyone with a higher output alternator.
I found a "mean green altenrator" that sounds like it might work. I dunno. Mother F'er is $360! I'm looking around.

I might just pop the yellow top in and see what happens. Been riding around on the stock battery for 8 months now running those lights and the battery is just now starting to die on me. I dont mind replacing batteries annually, but I dont wanna have my alternator crap out on me as well.

Yeah....I LIKE LIGHT!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Maybe try the blue top? Isn't it a deep cycle?
One of those, can't remember which between yellow and red, is not recommended for use with a winch and therefore the warranty is void with winch use.

Can't see your pic here at work, and can't remember if you have a winch or not, but keep it in mind.

Light is great, but your rig here in OK would be illegal with all those lights. We don't have to have them covered, but we can only have 4 lights total plus headlamps. Hell, even the backup lights I run are illegal.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe try the blue top? Isn't it a deep cycle?
One of those, can't remember which between yellow and red, is not recommended for use with a winch and therefore the warranty is void with winch use.

Can't see your pic here at work, and can't remember if you have a winch or not, but keep it in mind.

Light is great, but your rig here in OK would be illegal with all those lights. We don't have to have them covered, but we can only have 4 lights total plus headlamps. Hell, even the backup lights I run are illegal.

I do have a winch. Great. More **** to deal w/ lol. Yeah they dont give a damn about your lights or fenders in florida. At least we get one thing right down here.

Edit: called warn. They said yellow top is just fine. Any gel filled battery and they are happy.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
774 Posts
How much extra amps are the Mean Green? Your stock one puts out 160 amps.

You will need to turn your lights out if you use the wich.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Im looking at the same amps. I think I'm gonna stay w/ stock and see what happens. To date, I ahvent had to winch out w/ the lights on. But yeah, I figured as much.

I reckon I'm gonna just stay w/ the stock alternator, put a yellow top in, and see how things develop. I can see myself bringing a long a spare stock alternator just in case though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The guy at warn started laughing when I asked him this question. He says they are all fine to use. He said everyone has an opinion, but that warn will honor the warranty on any of them.

As long as they're happy - I'm happy.
I should have clarified better I was speaking of the battery warranty.
As was stated by SDMF, the red top is not supposed to be used with a winch.
But, as you stated you have a yellow top so all is good.

G

·
0 Posts
I ran yellow tops for about 7 years but have given up on them. They are way expensive - I paid almost $200 for the last one I bought - and I don't think they last very well. I ran a dual battery setup in my XJ with two yellow tops and replaced at least one a year. When it comes time to replace the stock battery in the JK, I'll look for something besides an Optima.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I ran yellow tops for about 7 years but have given up on them. They are way expensive - I paid almost $200 for the last one I bought - and I don't think they last very well. I ran a dual battery setup in my XJ with two yellow tops and replaced at least one a year. When it comes time to replace the stock battery in the JK, I'll look for something besides an Optima.
I saw pro-comp's new batteries the other day, they seem spec'd better than the Optima's (800 CCA, IIRC), but they don't mention deep cycle - I know the yellow & blue tops DC well. Don't expect to save much going w/ them though... I think I saw $250 the starting price (could be wrong though).

Lots of people complain about losing batteries in a dual-battery setup. Do you think it's possible that the isolator was a bigger problem than the battery? I mean, I thought the premium on YT's were because they were designed to take a beating and last longer than a standard battery?

I heard some rumors on the "other forum" about yellow top's not playing well w/ the JK alternator, but I never saw anything concrete come out about it.

!c

·
Registered
220 Posts
Step 1 - Find a good alternator shop. :)
Step 2 - remove alternator from JK. :D
Step 3 - Take alternator to shop and have it rewound. :bounce:
Step 4 - reinstall on JK. ;)

You should be able to have your alternator rewound. It's a ton cheaper than the upgraded units. :beer:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Here is a trick...

Find a car that runs the same motor and do a search on autozone website. You might able to find a higher amperage alternator.

This is what i did when I worked at Autozone many, many, many, years ago and customers wanted a higher amperage alternator.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
ODYSSEY BATTERIES

I was replacing the Optima battery about once a year in my Range Rover. I replaced it with an Odyssey Battery and never had another battery problem again. I'm going to replace the stock battery with one as soon as I have some extra coin to drop.:smokin:

G

·
0 Posts
Lots of people complain about losing batteries in a dual-battery setup. Do you think it's possible that the isolator was a bigger problem than the battery? I mean, I thought the premium on YT's were because they were designed to take a beating and last longer than a standard battery?
!c
Yes, I think that's a possibility. The isolator places a diode drop between the charging voltage feedback point and the battery. That drop isn't there in a stock setup, which means that the battery is charged at a lower voltage in this setup than it would in a stock setup. As the battery gets close to full charge, the drop across the diode decreases, but not to zero. So, I believe the isolator does alter the charging profile and that could account for the reduced life. I think that the Hell Roaring products use an FET (with a much smaller voltage drop) instead of a diode with a little different setup, perhaps those would be better.

In any case, I just don't think the Yellow Tops are worth the high cost. I could buy 2 or 3 standard batteries for the price of one Yellow Top and my guess is they would last at least as long, though I would lose the deep cycle capability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts