JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Large Marge Build-Phase 2 (HEMI)begins on page 3

So my EVO parts finally arrived the day I got home. (Sort of) All the main components arrived, but the hardware was delivered to a random house. The address was correct but UPS made a mistake. I’m not trying to do a write up for this, mainly because I can’t seem to take any good pictures during the process. Anyway, here are the first few days of work. This is all being down at Overbuilt Customs. My first impression was that the TF kit is as I expected high quality and STOUT. The EVO components look equally good.

We removed the body from the frame. Although not necessary, it made things much easier. After stripping pretty much everything from the frame (minus motor/tranny) we started by cutting all the old brackets off.

This is what was left.

Brad welded up the new TF long arm brackets and we mocked up the control arms and axles.

Not a picture of anything specific, other than how much isn’t there. :D

The front end mocked up with the coil over in preparation to locate the bump stops.

And of course no build could take place without a beer or two.

That’s all there is for now. I plan on hitting it again in the morning. It should be put back together in the next few days. The hardest part it seems was cutting off and grinding down the old brackets. I can’t imagine how much harder it would be with the body still on.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
a) i dont think i will ever see my jeep with its shell off.

b) sweet baby jebus. specs on the monster!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a) i dont think i will ever see my jeep with its shell off.

b) sweet baby jebus. specs on the monster!
Taking the body off was pretty easy. Ripping apart my Jeep has been getting easier as time goes on. The first hole I ever drilled into it was a stressful time:bawling: Not so much anymore.

The monster-if you're talking about "Hi Ho Silver"-is Ben Hendrick's Monster. Pretty much everything cool rolled into one package. He has a build thread somewhere around here.

·
Registered
603 Posts
so i took this around my house and tried to show everyone here mayb 15 people? not really anyone was intrested like usual they thought it was just me and my jeep shit

so i took it into my room and went into my man to hand corner

jeeps are the bomb!

·
Registered
176 Posts
it might be the pic but i am not digging the bottom coilover mounts. do you have a better pic of it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You still plan to wheel it this weekend in Ocala?
As of right now, yes. I have to get this put back together and sitting at ride height before I can measure for drive shafts. Hopefully it won't need too much tweeking once it's all back together. I'll have to get some fast shipping from Woods to have it done in time.

This weekend and the next are reserved for Hard Rock. The show and shine this weekend, then a buddy is coming back from Venezula the next weekend and plans on breaking his dad's XJ.(Babaloo):bawling: 19th I think. "notajk"-Jason and a handful of us plan on camping the second weekend.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it might be the pic but i am not digging the bottom coilover mounts. do you have a better pic of it.
There are a few things about the EVO kit that made me or Brad go hmmmm. So far we came up with:

We were looking at the coil over towers (cobras) and wondering why they were sitting at the angle they were. (Not 90 degrees off the frame rail) We tacked them in place as per the directions and they cant slightly to the rear of the vehicle. The location they are in is the proper spot. From what we figured, it will have to sit that way. Any movement forward on the frame rail (where it will sit 90 degrees ) will cause issues when the body is put back on.

In this picture you can see the center line of the tower and with the shock hanging it does not hang at a parallel angle.

And in this picture you can see the angle (tower/shock) and the mounting plate on the bottom. The bottom plate is a bracket that gets welded onto the existing shock mount. It looks janky but it goes together easy, unless you have evo gussets like me. Then you have to clearance them a little to get them to fit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are a few things about the EVO kit that made me or Brad go hmmmm. So far we came up with:

We were looking at the coil over towers (cobras) and wondering why they were sitting at the angle they were. (Not 90 degrees off the frame rail) We tacked them in place as per the directions and they cant slightly to the rear of the vehicle. The location they are in is the proper spot. From what we figured, it will have to sit that way. Any movement forward on the frame rail (where it will sit 90 degrees ) will cause issues when the body is put back on.

In this picture you can see the center line of the tower and with the shock hanging it does not hang at a parallel angle.

And in this picture you can see the angle (tower/shock) and the mounting plate on the bottom. The bottom plate is a bracket that gets welded onto the existing shock mount. It looks janky but it goes together easy, unless you have evo gussets like me. Then you have to clearance them a little to get them to fit.
If it were me doing it i would move everything forward about 5in. upper mount and all. this way your not resting the weight of you jeep on a little pice of stamped steel welded to the shock mount 5in from the axel.By welding in a pice of plate on to of the spring bucket over to your upper c gusset you could weld the mount to that. Then if the upper mount will not fit at 90 then tilt the top back till it will. Just like the silver jeeps top mounts. This will be way stronger imho. I just can not beleve ORE would sell a kit like that.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
"Hi Ho Silver" looks to be about 4" taller than it needs to be.:shaking:
Really? I guess different strokes for different folks... I love the stance. Looks like a lot of room to flex that sucker out.

Back to topic - can't wait to see the rig finished and have a stand off with the other monster rigs we have here in FL.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No pictures from today. In true H8T2W8T fashion I was out the door this morning and got all of two blocks away when I realized I didn't have my camera. Too late, got to goooooo:grinpimp: We got alot accomplished today. We'll slap the gas tank and wheels back on tomorrow. Should have the body back on also. Just need to get the drive shafts measured and hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get it here before the weekend. I already lost my left arm for the EVO stuff:D

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Agreed, needs a lot more tire.

And H82W8T it looks sick, coming along nicely.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Agreed!! I don't go for jeeps with HUGE lifts...you can run 40's on 4" lift with very little work. This keeps the COG low and makes the Jeep MUCH more capable. The only reason to jack it to the moon is for show.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some of you guys need to stop hate'n. Some of you need to go to the store and get some more "Tank" before you start talking about someone else's build.
OffRoad Evo. is in business for a reason and is one of the leaders for JK product's. I don't see you partnering up with Company's like KING and doing calabo's. Someone's always got to have a better idea. How bout write your letter to Offroad Evo and have them add that super idea to the production and invention box. You gotta be kiddin me

:thefinger:::beer:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts