JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Probably require 18" wheels.
I just called them and spoke to one of their sales guys. He said that an 18" rim would guarantee that they fit. I asked if the 4.5" of backspacing on a 17" would work and he wasn't sure, but is going to email me a template to check for fitment. I'll report back when I figgure this out in the name of jeep science.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Over 2k :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dynatrac just came out with their brake upgrade for the JK both front and rear, it uses the stock calipers and adds bigger rotors using relocation brackets. Not a terrible price, $995 for brackets, larger rotors, and pads. One benefit is no bleeding of the lines and easily reversible.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/dynatrac-jk-2007-15-progrip-performance-brake-system-jk44-2x1125-a

One thing to note is if you have stock wheels you need wheel spacers, I asked what the minimum back space was, but they did not have a definitive answer.

·
Registered
900 Posts
that's crazy! i did factory duel piston with 13" rotors $300 for my front. looking at best way of doing rear

·
Registered
35 Posts
yup but it's not costing over $1000. :)
Agreed, but you are paying for the name / engineering. Plus if something happens to your relocation bracket who is going to cover it. Certain parts I would be weary about getting custom with no one backing them.

The cost is high, but It really is not astronomical and for those of us who can't weld, and do not have access to machine shops. It is nice to have a bolt on option. That does not require a new master cylinder or bleeding the brakes.

The problem I have with moving to dual piston or different calipers is that now you need to ensure the fluid dynamics are very similar and if not you need to start upgrading more parts to fix it thus spending more money.

The kit comes with custom rotors/pads and custom brackets for both front and rear.

At the end of the day something is only worth what someone is willing to spend on them.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Certain parts I would be weary about getting custom with no one backing them.
This was the primary reason Amazonica went with the BR6 parts, rather than the Teraflex BBK. Her reasonng was Chrysler would most likely have stock where an aftermarket outfit, maybe not. I really wouldn't worry too much about either Dynatrac or Teraflex folding any time soon. The Ram 1500 option is a good one as well, provided you or a local machine shop can fabricate the required caliper support.

The TF BBK caliper is essentially same as the Ram 1500, uses the same pads. The rotor specs do not as I recall match up exactly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This was the primary reason Amazonica went with the BR6 parts, rather than the Teraflex BBK. Her reasonng was Chrysler would most likely have stock where an aftermarket outfit, maybe not. I really wouldn't worry too much about either Dynatrac or Teraflex folding any time soon. The Ram 1500 option is a good one as well, provided you or a local machine shop can fabricate the required caliper support.

The TF BBK caliper is essentially same as the Ram 1500, uses the same pads. The rotor specs do not as I recall match up exactly.
My plan was to do the BR6 upgrade, but the Dynatrac upgrade eliminates the need to change out the calipers. I was following that thread closely and someone finally capitalized on using the stock calipers engineering a bracket and rotors that will work. Like I said its nice to have a bolt on option. BTW I have access to a machine shop, I would just rather purchase the item rather then be in a situation where I have something made and it doesn't fit right and I have to reassembly my stock setup and have it modified. Its a convenience thing.

I renew my registration online even though it costs me an extra 5 dollars because I do not want to stand in line at the DMV.

For me Time is money and I just do not have the time any more.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys dont mean to be a dick but this thread is for the Ksport BBK. If you want to talk about Ram 1500 or any other cheap ass brakes make a thread about it or find one, im sure there is at least 2 or 300 threads about it on this forum and others. :gluging:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'll bring it back on topic...

I think it's misleading to call it an 8 piston kit.
Yeah, it has 8 pistons...between two calipers.
It's like saying the stocks are twin piston calipers.

Full-floating discs?
Nope. They're semi-floating.
For our purposes, either is unnecessary and merely provides NOT easily cleaned nooks and crannies that will collect grundge, potentially defeating their "floating" function.

Exposed cross-over tube for brake fluid?
With their supposed CAD/CNC abilities, I'd think they could design it with an internal passageway.

So, for $2100?
Not me, thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll bring it back on topic...

I think it's misleading to call it an 8 piston kit.
Yeah, it has 8 pistons...between two calipers.
It's like saying the stocks are twin piston calipers.

Full-floating discs?
Nope. They're semi-floating.
For our purposes, either is unnecessary and merely provides NOT easily cleaned nooks and crannies that will collect grundge, potentially defeating their "floating" function.

Exposed cross-over tube for brake fluid?
With their supposed CAD/CNC abilities, I'd think they could design it with an internal passageway.

So, for $2100?
Not me, thanks.
Wilwood and other 4 piston caliper setups often have a crossover tube, so I don't think that's a big deal, if it was internal the caliper would probably be larger and an even bigger rim would be required. Agree on the rest though, mostly marketing hype/exaggerations to confuse buyers.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'll put my $0.02 in. After years in the racing scene, these would be awesome if you where on a pavement track doing 100+ MPH. I can't help but ask:

1. who needs a brake system that cost $2,100?

2. I also have to ask why anyone would want a slotted rotor in an environment like most people wheel in?

Average wheel size for most people on this site and others (unless your crawlin malls) is between 15-17 in wheels. If I need to run a 18-20 inch rim to fit these..... I'm not wheeling

1 - 20 of 34 Posts