JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel and hear a "knock" in the steering wheel when going over rough terrain? I don't notice if too much on the street (occassionally) but when off road, particularly in rocky terrain, I hear a slight knock and feel it through the steering wheel. It seems to be when the wheels are being pushed side to side by rocks. It feels sort of like something is loose somewhere in the steering linkage or steering column but I've checked most of it as well as I can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2007 Rubicon and my 2003 Silverado. The steering boxes are sloppy (crap bearings?) so the manufacturers installed a two piece steering shaft that have an anti-vibration fitting in the middle. It uses a heavy grease to absorb the shock. The fitting is under a rubber boot. For the Silverado, I had Chevy regrease the fitting but it never lasted long. I replaced the steering shaft with one from Borgeson but it only lasted a year. For the Rubicon, I repacked the fitting with fifth wheel grease and the problem is about 90% gone. The real problem (at least on mine) is the steering box. There are companies that are rebuilding the boxes, but it's pretty expensive. Too bad my Jeep is too much like a Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily). Anybody else have an idea to solve this?????

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue with my 2007 Rubicon and my 2003 Silverado. The steering boxes are sloppy (crap bearings?) so the manufacturers installed a two piece steering shaft that have an anti-vibration fitting in the middle. It uses a heavy grease to absorb the shock. The fitting is under a rubber boot. For the Silverado, I had Chevy regrease the fitting but it never lasted long. I replaced the steering shaft with one from Borgeson but it only lasted a year. For the Rubicon, I repacked the fitting with fifth wheel grease and the problem is about 90% gone. The real problem (at least on mine) is the steering box. There are companies that are rebuilding the boxes, but it's pretty expensive. Too bad my Jeep is too much like a Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily). Anybody else have an idea to solve this?????
That's really interesting information. It fits with what I feel and hear. When I first got the Jeep, the noise wasn't there at all and it has just gotten worse with time, which seems very consistent with your description. I'll take a look at the fitting and try repacking it to see if that makes it go away - Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I took mine to the dealer with instructions on how to repair this. He said mine was bone dry, no grease ever inserted in there... After He greased it, no noise. I can still feel a small vibration, but it doesn't sound like my steering wheel is going to fly off now!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Is there enough room to put a hose clamp or something on the shaft to prevent the plastic sleeve from backing out again?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Hmmm...

I will have to check this out tomorrow. I have the same knock, would be great if it is such a simple fix.

Thanks for sharing!! :beer:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great post - I have the knock too. Went out and looked and the plastic sleeve has not fallen out but it looks like it's about to. But when I tried to push it back I couldn't get it to budge. Did I just forget to eat my Wheaties this morning or am I missing some trick to push it up. And how do you know how far up is the correct position?

·
Registered
420 Posts
You know, I had more pictures about this but I didn't post them, guess I should have...

I couldn't push it with just my fingers (maybe I need my Wheaties too!). I used a big long handle flat screw driver to push up on the plastic sleeve along the flat surfaces of the square upper shaft:

I switched sides as I pushed it up and it stopped about an inch from the firewall. I asked and some reported theirs was at the same distance, so I figure I pushed it in enough. I then put on the clamp that I had in my garage.
Thanks - I'll try that.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I had a "click" feel in my steering too. I used a needle adapter and filled the boot where the two shafts connect with grease, squished it around a bit and 27k miles later have never felt another another "click".

I believe the two shafts are there so that when you have a front end accident the steering wheel or shaft doesn't get pushed into you. The "click" is a very common issue on many vehicles with this set up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a "click" feel in my steering too. I used a needle adapter and filled the boot where the two shafts connect with grease, squished it around a bit and 27k miles later have never felt another another "click".

I believe the two shafts are there so that when you have a front end accident the steering wheel or shaft doesn't get pushed into you. The "click" is a very common issue on many vehicles with this set up.
Did you just puncture the boot with the needle and fill it with grease or did you somehow sneak the needle under the clamps?

When you squished the grease around were you just trying to get it to coat everything or is there someplace you are trying to work it into?

Just by looking at it, I can't quite figure out what's under the boot and where the grease needs to go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Did you just puncture the boot with the needle and fill it with grease
Yup, seemed like the easiest and quickest way of doing it.

When you squished the grease around were you just trying to get it to coat everything or is there someplace you are trying to work it into?
Just trying to get it everywhere, so it could work into any places it needed to be. Seemed to work, as the click disappeared straight away.

Just by looking at it, I can't quite figure out what's under the boot and where the grease needs to go.
I believe the lower shaft is splined the two parts fit one inside the other.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gcg - I lubed mine too. PhilD is right that it’s a lot easier to just puncture the boot. I took the shaft and boot off to do mine. I could post the procedure.
I think I'll just try the needle approach first. If that doesn't do the job then perhaps you could post the procedure - I appreciate your offer to post it!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, seemed like the easiest and quickest way of doing it.

Just trying to get it everywhere, so it could work into any places it needed to be. Seemed to work, as the click disappeared straight away.

I believe the lower shaft is splined the two parts fit one inside the other.
Phil - thanks for all the good information - I appreciate it!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Miracle Cure!

I just added grease to the boot with the needle and squished it around a bit as PhilD had suggested, went out and tried to make the noise appear and it was just dead silent. I think that may be one of the quickest and cheapest fixes of all time. Thanks to PhilD and the others that posted all of the suggestions and advice!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can someone tell me where to get the needle adapter and also does someone have a picture of what the boot is so I know where to inject? I am getting the "knock" felt through the wheel as well. No noise but I knock can be felt, is this the same thing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts