JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any feedback would be a appreciated-

I have several different sharpeners that I have used over the years to sharpen blades.....but I have rarely been impressed with the hone on many of my knives after sharpening them.

What do you guys use? Ceramic/ Carbide/ Arkansas whetstone/ combination (?)

Any tips? Types or brands? Methods?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The type I have had the most luck from are the kits that come with a couple of diamond stones (one is a rougher cut and one for finishing) and has the guide.

I am traveling right now so don't have the name in front of me, but basically it comes with a clamp that clamps ur blade and the stones screw into a steel rod that is then inserted into a guide on the clamp. It keeps the optimal angle for sharpening and makes it easy.

I have tried Arkansas stones, but apparently just don't have the patience to sit there and sharpen. The kit I have now puts a razor sharp edge in just a few minutes and it lasts.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I just use a bench grinder about 100 grit wheel (it was on it when I bought the grinder, not sure exactly) somewhere around 25 deg, same as a chisel.
My fine wheel isn't very fine so I give it a hone with a 2" x 6" wet stone.
Also had good success with a bench belt sander to hone.
Have a small piece of tungsten to do touch ups on my leatherman.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The type I have had the most luck from are the kits that come with a couple of diamond stones (one is a rougher cut and one for finishing) and has the guide.

I am traveling right now so don't have the name in front of me, but basically it comes with a clamp that clamps ur blade and the stones screw into a steel rod that is then inserted into a guide on the clamp. It keeps the optimal angle for sharpening and makes it easy.

I have tried Arkansas stones, but apparently just don't have the patience to sit there and sharpen. The kit I have now puts a razor sharp edge in just a few minutes and it lasts.
Spidertech makes a good one for thick blade knives alot like gator sticks. But the one with guide is a lansky get the diamond ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My experience has been to just have a professional sharpen them once or twice a year. A good. Knife should only require a sharpening at that interval to hold an edge.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using my knobs

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

There are a couple of brands. I have the cheap Smiths brand from Walmart. They are great for both beginners and experienced people.

Using stones by themselves is very difficult and takes someone with experience just to keep from making things worse, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
do those really work? what degree edge does it put on the blade? can you shave hair with it?
I believe I remember them saying 40 degrees on the cut. You can't shave with it. And it took me awhile to figure out how to get it really sharp. But it won't cut hair. It will cut paper with ease.

I ran out and bought one of the $35 dollar Smith's sharpeners last night to play around with. I believe I can get as much of an edge on my blade (D2 tool steel) as I can with the cheaper one listed.

I'm going to practice with the smith's version for quite a bit and see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

....it comes with a clamp that clamps ur blade and the stones screw into a steel rod that is then inserted into a guide on the clamp. It keeps the optimal angle for sharpening and makes it easy.

Thanks, kp. That sounds like the one that I have been looking at. Looks to be kind of "idiot-proof" for someone like me that is just getting back into sharpening. I may pick that one up at walmart. It's a Smith's sharpening system with diamond and Arkansas stones, the guide/ rod, honing oil, etc. I think it was about $20.

You can find them local for the same price. I destroy a knife edge so something quick and easy fits the bill for me!

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291155728&sr=8-1
I had one like that. It disappeared with my ex-g/f and my grill. :shaking:I mainly used it for fillet-knives. Looks pretty fail-safe and cheap. Thanks for the link.

I just use a bench grinder about 100 grit wheel (it was on it when I bought the grinder, not sure exactly) somewhere around 25 deg, same as a chisel.
My fine wheel isn't very fine so I give it a hone with a 2" x 6" wet stone.
Also had good success with a bench belt sander to hone.
Have a small piece of tungsten to do touch ups on my leatherman.
Well that's out b/c I corrently don't have a bench grinder....and I don't think I want to use my angle grinder- lol. Something tells me that you have a LOT more skill at sharpening, then I would. I can see using a grinder and turning my butcher knives into pen knives- lol. I guess I could find some cheap worn out knives at a garage sale and practice sharpening on a stone. Thank you for the input.

Spidertech makes a good one for thick blade knives alot like gator sticks. But the one with guide is a lansky get the diamond ones.
I'll look into the Spydertech for my kitchen knives, since they are thicker blades. I appreciate it.

My experience has been to just have a professional sharpen them once or twice a year. A good. Knife should only require a sharpening at that interval to hold an edge.
Man....I did that before and never again. They ruined all 4 knives, and I had to wait for about 3-4 weeks to get them back. It was cheap but I was extremely :pissed: when I got them back. I know there must be some good pros out there, but I just won't risk using someone that I'm not sure of. Plus I want to do it myself. I think I can get good with some practice- idk. Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated.

There are a couple of brands. I have the cheap Smiths brand from Walmart. They are great for both beginners and experienced people. Using stones by themselves is very difficult and takes someone with experience just to keep from making things worse, IMHO.
The Smith's are what I'm looking at. They have several types that I like for different reasons. One is the sharpening system that I think Kerry was referring to. They have another that does scissors as well as knives, and another that does serrated knives and gut-hooks. I can see picking up a couple sharpeners before I'm done. Thank you for your advice.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I've been using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener for years. Comes with stone and ceramic stones. Pretty much brainless. Works great. Cheers...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I won't use a hand held sharpener again after getting 21 stitches in my hand.
My wife asked me a question while I was sharpening a knife. I looked away before stopping what I was doing.
Now I have an M permanently carved into my hand. At least M is my first initial.

Not long after that I was chopping carrots. Almost lost the tip of my thumb. From then on my wife would tell me to put down the knife before saying anything else.
:D:D:D

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener for years. Comes with stone and ceramic stones. Pretty much brainless. Works great. Cheers...
I've been looking at a couple Spyderco knives lately. I may look into that sharpener as well. Thanks, man.

Yes.....brainless......that's good. :smokin:

I won't use a hand held sharpener again after getting 21 stitches in my hand.
My wife asked me a question while I was sharpening a knife. I looked away before stopping what I was doing.
Now I have an M permanently carved into my hand. At least M is my first initial.

Not long after that I was chopping carrots. Almost lost the tip of my thumb. From then on my wife would tell me to put down the knife before saying anything else.
:D:D:D
Holy crap! :bawling:

I'll have to be careful. The ones I am looking at all have hand-guards and/ or are used sitting on the table. I'll stay away from anything that I have to hold. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
865 Posts
i use the Lansky to get an edge started on a new knife, but also have some Steamboat sharpeners. there are 4 ceramic sticks set in pairs at a set angle of 23-25 degrees. just hold the blade straight down and slide across alternating sticks pulling the blade toward you. bought them at True Value for about 15 bucks. great for a quick touch up.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
the Lansky and the Gatco have the metal clamp and guide. the Smith's guide is plastic with a metal clamp i believe. i like the metal better. although the Smith's is cheaper. they all do a very nice job.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Been making knives for 30 years and never use a stone anymore. I use a Delta 1" countertop beltsander to sharpen. Don't rush, just one smooth even stroke down each side of the blade and touch up the side of the edge that has a bur on it with one stroke of a fine diamond sharpener or buffer. Takes about 2 sec to get a razor edge that you can shave with if it is good quality steel.

17 degrees is for scalples and razors - awesome sharp but edge will go away fast.
27-32 degrees is best for general use hunting/kitchen knives - best overall angle that will last but sharp enough to shave with
35-40 degrees for heavy use hacking knives/axes - Longest lasting edge but will never be shaving sharp..

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jtphoto, redneck, paramaniac. 4x4x4.....I really appreciate the additional info.

I decided to go with the Gatco Ultimate diamond knife sharpening system. I really like the overall completeness of the kit- Serration hone/ coarse hone/ medium hone/ fine hone/ ultimate finishing hone/ the 6 angle guide/ honing oil/ case......and the fact that the individual sharpeners are replaceable.

It was WAY more than I really wanted to spend....but hopefully it will produce great results. It came down to the cheaper Smith's, the Gatco, and the Spderco (which looked bad-ass too).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks for posting that info Jeff. It makes sense why I couldn't shave with the rip stlye quick shapener. 40 degrees just won't cut it. :laughing:

I took my new smith's sharpener and moved down to the 20 degree slot and can now shave with it. :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts