JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a decent knife I've had for about 13 years now. It was given to me by my favorite Sgt. who passed away a few years ago so I don't want to get rid of it, just decommission it before something happens to it.

Here's the criteria:
1. Assisted opening
2. Half serrated blade 3-3.5"
3. Under $70
4. Big enough to fit in a large hand, but small enough to fit comfortably in uniform pockets
5. Tanto blade would be nice
6. Prefer black nylon/Kydex/etc. handle
7. Pocket clip

I'm thinking a SOG Flash II so far. Found one at Dick's for $50, a little cheaper on Amazon. Reviews say it's kind of small and it's in a clam shell package so I can't really tell.

Also looking at the Gerber Answer or similar F.A.S.T. knife, but judging by the numbers, they look pretty hefty.

I'd love to get a S&W Border Guard, but the damn thing is HUGE! I played with one that we got off a Middle School kid a few years ago. Good feel, nice edge and the assisted opening is quick.

It'll primarily be for utility stuff and if needed a last ditch effort to save my ass.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Benchmade Griptilian (or mini-Griptilian)Tanto. 'nuff said.

Been carrying mine for aout 5 years and is awesome. Brass washers make for smooth opening and closing. Very comfortable in average-to-large hands. A bit more than the $70 budget, but well worth it and they're handmade in the USA.

Benchmade Griptilian Tanto (553SBK) Review - YouTube

·
Registered
851 Posts
My mom just gave me a SOG flash II. It is lightweight and the assist mechanism is pretty smooth. It is not quite as smooth as my Kershaw Blur, but it is a close second. I also like that the knife body doesn't show with in a pocket... just the clip.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If you can find one, the Buck strider tanto is a fucking beast of a knife. Blade will easily pierce a car door, or pry it open. They made a partially serrated one the 881ts.

Fullsize Kimber 1911

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mom just gave me a SOG flash II. It is lightweight and the assist mechanism is pretty smooth. It is not quite as smooth as my Kershaw Blur, but it is a close second. I also like that the knife body doesn't show with in a pocket... just the clip.
I'm really swinging toward the Blur. I just need to find one in a store so I can fondle it.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I just picked up a SOG trident tanto and love it so far!
The assist spring finally gave up in my old S&W M&P I used to carry, plus I broke 3 pocket clips on it over the years.
It's available with a 1/2 serrated blade too.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
SOG Flash II, price and quality you won't be disappointed. It's a solid and comfortable knife and very useful size wise. Seen lots of guys carrying oversized dick extenders over the years. Not too big not too small, just right.
The sog trident is a little more meaty than the flash. I've carried both for several years.
I've got a decent knife I've had for about 13 years now. It was given to me by my favorite Sgt. who passed away a few years ago so I don't want to get rid of it, just decommission it before something happens to it.

Here's the criteria:
1. Assisted opening
2. Half serrated blade 3-3.5"
3. Under $70
4. Big enough to fit in a large hand, but small enough to fit comfortably in uniform pockets
5. Tanto blade would be nice
6. Prefer black nylon/Kydex/etc. handle
7. Pocket clip

I'm thinking a SOG Flash II so far. Found one at Dick's for $50, a little cheaper on Amazon. Reviews say it's kind of small and it's in a clam shell package so I can't really tell.

Also looking at the Gerber Answer or similar F.A.S.T. knife, but judging by the numbers, they look pretty hefty.

I'd love to get a S&W Border Guard, but the damn thing is HUGE! I played with one that we got off a Middle School kid a few years ago. Good feel, nice edge and the assisted opening is quick.

It'll primarily be for utility stuff and if needed a last ditch effort to save my ass.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Let me get some recommendations from y'all. I need a knife that I can use for basic utility needs, & firefighting self rescue. Here's my needs.

• Withtand working in a wet environment
  • Easy to open with a gloved hand
  • Cut through electrical wires, rope easily
  • Not too expensive
  • Extremely durable

·
Registered
24 Posts
Let me get some recommendations from y'all. I need a knife that I can use for basic utility needs, & firefighting self rescue. Here's my needs.

• Withtand working in a wet environment
  • Easy to open with a gloved hand
  • Cut through electrical wires, rope easily
  • Not too expensive
  • Extremely durable
Kershaw Ken Onion Tactical Blur

My kid grabbed it off the counter and lost it in the yard. My lawn guy found it about 2 months later. Took it apart, cleaned and oiled it and it works like new. :bounce:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up going with the Flash II. Comes with a damn fine edge. Love the assist, but the safety for the fold mechanism is gonna take some getting used to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.