JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, let me start off by saying I am a complete stooge with electrical if it requires more than red to red, black to black sort of things. This is a diagram from another member on another site. It worked for me like a charm.

When I got rid of my stock bumper my stock fogs went too. I put on a PJ stubby which is great, but no provisions for fogs. I ended up by KC 130w and mounting them on my windshield.

Below is a diagram that will allow you to use your factory fog switch(roll switch) instead of putting another switch in. I did this mod in about an hour. I could probably take much less time but like I said before-stooge. A

Anyway, enjoy. If you have any questions let me know.

EDIT to re-add my janky photo

·
Registered
955 Posts
Be aware that you cannot run the 130w lights when you switch to high beams. The fog light system shuts off when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Check again. Using the factory fog circuit to trigger a relay is all fine and dandy, but power will be cut to the fog circuit when you turn on the high beams. Therefore, your windshield lights will turn off.
This is controlled by the canbus system. The diagram shown will not bypass that function unless you run the optional switch he has in the circuit to bypass the highbeam cutoff function.

All this is assuming you are running driving lights up on the windshield posts. If you are putting fogs up there they are in the wrong place, as the beam pattern on fogs are meant to be close to the ground. You'll never get them aimed right (blinding oncoming traffic) and the beam pattern spread will probably not do much except light the hood.

Even at that, I would put a diode inline with the feed coming off the stock harness going to terminal 85 of the relay if you run the optional switch. If you look at the diagram, powering on the optional switch will back feed power thru the stock wiring into the canbus system. See this thread post #4 for an explanation and how to do it.

I ran a relay when I changed my bumper out, but I'm running 100w fogs on the bumper.

Hmmm....he did this to run higher wattage fog bulbs in the stock housing. Wonder if he's melted anything yet?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All this is assuming you are running driving lights up on the windshield posts. If you are putting fogs up there they are in the wrong place, as the beam pattern on fogs are meant to be close to the ground. You'll never get them aimed right (blinding oncoming traffic) and the beam pattern spread will probably not do much except light the hood.
optional switch he has in the circuit to bypass the highbeam cutoff function.

I am running my KC130w light on the windshield. They may have been intended as fogs, but I run them for extra trail light. They have zero chance of blinding oncoming traffic as I never run them on the streets. And I think it is illegal to do so here in Florida anyway.

Wrong place for you, right place for me:thefinger:

·
Registered
955 Posts
I am running my KC130w light on the windshield. They may have been intended as fogs, but I run them for extra trail light. They have zero chance of blinding oncoming traffic as I never run them on the streets. And I think it is illegal to do so here in Florida anyway.

Wrong place for you, right place for me:thefinger:
I guess whatever works, I thought you were going to run these on the street as fogs, hence my response. All bets are off on off road only illumination, glad they work for you.
Do they turn off when you hit the highbeams?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.