JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wheeling partner (my 7 month old german shephard puppy) get car sick. He just started doing this recently. I have a quick question for everyone that has a K9 wheeling partner. Has you dog every gotten car sick, and are there any remedies that you know of? Max my shep loves riding in the Jeep but obviously hates getting sick. If anyone has any advice I know I would appreciate it and Im sure Max would as well.
:beer:

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
My Border Collie has gotten car sick since they day we got him. Haven't even considered taking him wheelin. It's a mix between actual nausia and anxiety that seems to get him to puke. We have tried ginger with no success, ginger pills with no success, benatryl shot to dope him up some. None of them have worked. We did get a perscription pill from a vet friend of ours, but it is for long trips only really. It gets him "relaxed" and he won't puke, but not something you'd want to use daily. I could find the name of it. My other Border Collie has never gotten sick!

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Rescue Remedy

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have yet to try any of the over the counter methods you mentioned like ginger etc. I just feel bad for the little guy since everytime i walk out the door and go to get in the jeep hes right behind me excited like we're going for a ride, but sure enough about 15 mins later I'm pulling over to clean puppy puke out of my cup holder:shaking:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
from what I've seen, most times dogs getting car sick is more stress related than motion related, so maybe he'll get used to it if you just keep taking him?
If he actually wants to go and gets excited about it, then might want to just keep trying - just take a lot of short trips.
If it happens after 15 min, try limiting the trips to 10 min for awhile and see how he does.
also spreading out a big beach towel might be a good idea too ;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats kinda what I was thinking of doing Venom. Kinda just breaking him in slowly and see if that helps. Only reason I had asked was that I know there are a decent number of JKO members that take their pups out wheeling with them.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
One of our two dogs gets car sick, nothing you can give them really works. As she got older and more used to it she got better. Short trips (< 60 min) are fine now, longer rides are still a problem.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Thats kinda what I was thinking of doing Venom. Kinda just breaking him in slowly and see if that helps. Only reason I had asked was that I know there are a decent number of JKO members that take their pups out wheeling with them.
I'm definitely one of them!

my jeepdog - Tank, goes everywhere with me - running errands, to the lake, out to the shop to work on stuff. pretty much everywhere..
can't say (or even spell) 'jeep', 'bye bye' or even say 'go' while looking at him without him getting superspaz excited.
he sees me put on shoes, he starts getting excited
I ask him "wheres the jeep? lets go!" and he will spin in circles until he gets to the door closest to the jeep and then he'll stare at the knob until I open it.
keep in mind that this is a jet black, 70+lb pit/chow mix with a full body mohawk - kinda funny to see :laughing:

so keep working with him, hopefully he'll get used to it and all will be fine because a good jeepmut (or 2) really adds to the jeep experience and life in general :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh trust me Max is the same way, as soon as I motion to the door or my keys or shoes he starts doing the same circle jumps or joy and or sitting by the door beating the hell out of the floor with his tail. I love my dog and he is a lot of fun to have around so I try to take him everywhere with me as well.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Sometimes puppies havnt gotten their bearings yet. Might grow out of it. Some never do.

The pup we have now loves going for rides in the jeep too. Loves going wheelin. He even knows when i say "hold on" to lay down and almost looks like hes grippin the seat with his paws. LoL.

Sent via Telegraph.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
So my wheeling partner (my 7 month old german shephard puppy) get car sick. He just started doing this recently. I have a quick question for everyone that has a K9 wheeling partner. Has you dog every gotten car sick, and are there any remedies that you know of? Max my shep loves riding in the Jeep but obviously hates getting sick. If anyone has any advice I know I would appreciate it and Im sure Max would as well.
:beer:
no advice. You met our "pup" Ha ha ha! She's good, and dirty, but I will say Uncle Jerry had the most to do with it. BoneCollector/unsub's pit is too cool. Thier dog trained our dog. She whined the first few months, but now she knows she is going to go crazy! If she could just keep her ass out of Billy"s seat!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My pup (10 year old shepherd mix) has always loved car and jeep rides but would start drooling like mad the moment we started moving and barf 15-20 minutes if she had anything in her stomach. Eventually she got used to car rides and stopped both the drooling and puking, but it took a while, like 2 years, mostly because my ex-wife (wife at the time) didn't want to deal with the mess so we limited the dog's trips.

One thing that helped was planning meals around travel times so her stomach would be empty when we were driving. Another was to have someone to pay attention to her and give her lots of praise as we were driving to calm her down. Needless to say, if the dog does puke you don't make a big deal about it.

Jeeps are actually good training vehicles because you can pull all the carpet and put down rubber matting, then cover it with old blankets. Lay out two or three blankets at the start so if she does puke you can roll the top layer up, shove it in a trash bag, and deal with it later. Helps keep the dog clean and avoids the smell.

Also, don't forget a good restraint system for your pup so if you get into an accident on the road or flop on the trail your best friend doesn't get hurt, or hurt you, from bouncing around inside the Jeep.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Wow! Guess we're just lucky,,,, got the lab, "shut up!". she did. Took her to menantico, she "fell" in the deep water, and learned how to swim. she's good.Runs her ass off, but comes when called. Thanks Jerry!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Wow! Guess we're just lucky,,,, got the lab, "shut up!". she did. Took her to menantico, she "fell" in the deep water, and learned how to swim. she's good.Runs her ass off, but comes when called. Thanks Jerry!
Just asked the Bonecollector she said not to feed him before you take him for a ride, Jerry just said Ruff. I think you should put him in your wifes lap and open the window, when hes ready to puke pull next to Sniper and stick his head out the window! Just remember to video it!:smokin:

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Just asked the Bonecollector she said not to feed him before you take him for a ride, Jerry just said Ruff. I think you should put him in your wifes lap and open the window, when hes ready to puke pull next to Sniper and stick his head out the window! Just remember to video it!:smokin:
sweet my loves... just make sure it's not my side! I can't handle dog-anything! I just laugh at her!
UH-OH I hijacked Doug. OOPS! Not on purpose, but maybe a couple posts now. signing off.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah Max will drool real bad for about a minute or two and if you dont happen to notice, then its game on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts