JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a maintenance electrician/mechanic at a powdered metal factory, and I've been into jeeps my whole life, started at about 12 years old running around with my dad in a '46 CJ2A. Went from there to a '55 CJ5, to when I was 17 years old into a Cherokee lifted 5" on 33s. Got out of the Jeep game for a bit, and in 2015 (at 21 years old) I bought a new 2 door wrangler sport. Built it to 2.5" lift, 35s, cut fenders myself, new links and trackbars, bumpers, winch, and wheeled the hell out of it. In 2017 I did the ultimate sin and traded it on a new toyota Tacoma. Lifted it, stuffed 33s under it.... And realized after a year that I'm just not ready for that practical of a vehicle yet (and it was an absolute boat in the woods)

Last month (February 2018, I'm 24 now) I started looking for another jeep to trade my truck on, and I found a Dozer 2012 Rubicon - 1 old man owner, bone stock, manual trans, 15,000 miles on it, never even driven in the rain - so I made the trip and bought it haha. I am so happy to be back in the jeep game. My last build and experience was on Wayalife forum, but I wanted to try out somewhere different this time around.

Anyways, I hope to learn and contribute my own experience here and can't wait to start my new rubicon build!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to JKO.

What is a powdered metal factory?
They take very finely ground metal (think like baby powder) fill a die with it, and use a top punch to press and compact it into a custom shaped part. Sometimes using up over a thousand tons (machines as big as a small house) to make a snuff can sized part. Then after its compacted they run it through a furnace above 2000 degrees to bond all the particles together. And usually end up with a part with 99% theoretical density and hardness of a machined part from metal stock. Machining a multi-level part from stock may take up to 10 minutes per piece, but if we run a press to compact it we can make the same part at almost 20-30 pieces per minute.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts