JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I have american family and I actually told my agent what the jeep has etc. It made no sense for me to pay the higher premium to protect the Jeep. After 2 years I could have bought most of the parts again.

Jason

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
USAA is fine until you have an accident. I was hit by a guy on base that had USAA I also had USAA. They would not put factory parts on my truck at the time because they said it had too many miles on it. New truck, I had it for 7 months and it had almost 13,000 miles on it. This was after the adjuster put in writing factory parts and after the shop fixing stated the non factory parts were not going to work as well. They had problems with the engine and the AC working the way it was suppose to. I was told by the USAA rep to get an attorney and that they were not going to fix my truck.
I have been with State farm ever since and when I wrecked my Jeep in FL they just did a one for one swap to new parts for all of the aftermarket add-ons ie winch and bumper and... I did not have to show a receipt. Here in Colorado State farm replaced an axle on my old Rubicon no questions no rate hike. They fixed 7K in hail damage on a 07 FJ cruiser and 3 X $1500 windshields in 1.5 months no rate hike no questions... Long story I hit a turkey on the HWY that was 1 of the 3 LOL

·
Registered
490 Posts
You have to be careful with those windshield and towing claims.

By themselves, they don't cause a problem. But, if you have a couple of them on file and then get into an accident, they may drop you.

I was with State Farm for years, probably about 15 or so. Having a wrangler, windshield replacements are common. After a fender bender by me, and another by my wife in the same year, I was informed we were being dropped. Bear in mind we had huge multi-line discounts due to having homeowners and life insurance policies with them as well. When I inquired with the adjuster, I was told that I would not have been dropped if I wouldn't have had the small claims to compound the fender benders.

I switched to Geico, it was cheaper even with the record state farm dropped me for. Same coverage, just no disclosure on the mods. I agree with a few others here - don't ask, don't tell. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I carried "customization" insurance with Liberty Mutual on my YJ for years, which was basically a winch, beadlocks, IROKS, lift, etc. No issues. I'm in process of adding same to my JK. It's been a week or more since I provide them with documentation and I was told it's all "with the underwriters". Watch this space!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I have american family and I actually told my agent what the jeep has etc. It made no sense for me to pay the higher premium to protect the Jeep. After 2 years I could have bought most of the parts again.

Jason
I use Am Fam for our townhouse association coverage. They pitched me about my personal insurance so I gave them a crack. Been w/Liberty Mutual for years and really like them. Anyway, they start writing a quote for my Honda, Ford F250, '76 CJ and '94 YJ, which was well built. The agent balks at the YJ, says she'll have to call someone. "Someone" says they won't cover it because I might roll it, then the agent says she agrees because her husband rolled his Jeep once. zThey wanted to cover everything else and there would have been a bit of savings. I walked.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I wound up going with Progressive...saved a few bucks too:)

So, we will see...

To the guy with USAA who had all the issues, that is literally the first thing I have ever heard bad about them...A good buddy of mine just swears by them, says they cover anything, heard the same from others...was surprised to hear of your experience...I guess there is no such thing as a perfect insurance company...

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
USAA is fine until you have an accident. I was hit by a guy on base that had USAA I also had USAA. They would not put factory parts on my truck at the time because they said it had too many miles on it. New truck, I had it for 7 months and it had almost 13,000 miles on it. This was after the adjuster put in writing factory parts and after the shop fixing stated the non factory parts were not going to work as well. They had problems with the engine and the AC working the way it was suppose to. I was told by the USAA rep to get an attorney and that they were not going to fix my truck.
I have been with State farm ever since and when I wrecked my Jeep in FL they just did a one for one swap to new parts for all of the aftermarket add-ons ie winch and bumper and... I did not have to show a receipt. Here in Colorado State farm replaced an axle on my old Rubicon no questions no rate hike. They fixed 7K in hail damage on a 07 FJ cruiser and 3 X $1500 windshields in 1.5 months no rate hike no questions... Long story I hit a turkey on the HWY that was 1 of the 3 LOL

I agree...if you are hit by someone else with another insurance USAA will make sure you are hooked up. If you are hit by another USAA member, they will shaft you in a heart beat. That's what they did last year when a USAA member ran a redlight and ripped the front end off of my first JK. They evaluated my 10 day old JK with 150 miles on it as "stained and warn interior, paint chipped, etc"....basically put down anything they could to put the Jeep in a used condition.

I always pray the person hitting me is a non-USAA...but twice I have been hit in other vehicles by USAA members and get the shaft every time. At least it's cheap premiums with low deductables. I do banking with them as well.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
USAA is good for some but bad for others. when i was AF many of us had USAA, i did as well till they screwed me over on insurance on my TJ. since then i went with state farm and was very happy, gieco now since esurance isnt in kansas.

loved esurance, lowest payment and best coverage on my JK. ill have to look into them again and see if they insure kansas now. its been a couple of years and gieco term is ending soon. lol

EDIT:
nope still dont insure kansas residences

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The only insurance I've ever had that trumped USAA was Farm Bureau. I could get buggy insured if I owned one.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Well, I wound up going with Progressive...saved a few bucks too:)

So, we will see...

To the guy with USAA who had all the issues, that is literally the first thing I have ever heard bad about them...A good buddy of mine just swears by them, says they cover anything, heard the same from others...was surprised to hear of your experience...I guess there is no such thing as a perfect insurance company...
just wondering. was the winch and mods cool with progressive? or is it dont ask dont tell?

·
Registered
329 Posts
funny timing on this thread...

my insurance just went up $1K for 6 months. Part of that is because I have a teenage driver (we have 3 vehicles) and I added a rider for my "extras".

The main reason it went up, I hit a guy at a yield sign. He went and stopped and I didn't. the result: $456 worth of damage to his PT Cruiser. That was FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX DOLLARS.

Ahhhh, there must be a catch! Yup... $20,000 in bodily injury! That's what he settled with.

I just found this all out yesterday and it happened 2 years ago, they just now bumped me from Tier 1 to Tier 2 because of this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just had a claim with Geico, hit a deer, nothing to do with off road. But, I have a winch and tons of mods, I wonder if I'm going to get dropped.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
just wondering. was the winch and mods cool with progressive? or is it dont ask dont tell?
they didn't ask, and I didn't say....they did ask if I ever do any recreational driving? Its funny, when I applied for Geico way back when, they interrogated my on my mods and instructed me to notify them anytime I put anything new on the Jeep...Progressive never asked me any questions about the Jeep....

I just had a claim with Geico, hit a deer, nothing to do with off road. But, I have a winch and tons of mods, I wonder if I'm going to get dropped.
I hope not...but I would be interested to know if you do...but again, I hope not...

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Simple,,, don't tell them you go offroading with it or what mods you have done to it. I"d never tell em what I have on it. YOu never get your money out of it when you sell it.

As for whats going on with you, just take the front bumper off and put the stock one back on. Then drive in there and show them what you did. Make up some lame a$$ story.. Its insurance, they don't know if you wrecked it until you tell them.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

·
Registered
479 Posts
GEICO(formerly Government Employee Insurance Company)- Its easier to beg for forgiveness, than to ask for permission. I went through all the discussions when I put the Jeep on my multi-policy, and they said its OK to wheel, aslong as its not a competition. As others said, they realize some wheeling will occur so they bump the premium up to cover potential risk.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,953 Posts
Do you have to do anything special to get Farm Bureau?
I can give you my agents number if you want. Im in louisiana, but i dont think that matters. I never actually made it a point to discuss mods or wheelin with them, but my agent knows i wheel and has seen my jeep many times.

corey d

21 - 40 of 40 Posts