JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I am too honest when it comes to dealing with my car insurance. I have always told them that I wheeled my Jeep and have always notified them of my mods. I have been with Geico. I found out today that at the end of my current policy term, I am being non renewed. Turns out the reason is the winch I have put on. Underwriting flagged it and now they are saying adios. The underwriter I talked to said that the winch coupled with my offroading makes me too much of a risk. He says that underwriting randomly looks at policies, and if they see winches in the list of mods...they non renew. There is another fellow over on jeepforum in exactly the same boat as me. The Geico guy also said that if I had an accident offroad, they would cover it, but then it was policy to non renew me once that term finished...at least they would have covered me, and will now until my policy expires in a couple of weeks, but he says if I had an accident off road, that would have also caused me to be non renewed....so, to make a long story short, who are you guys dealing with for insurance, and are they offroad friendly, or are you just acting on good faith and expecting them to cover you without telling them what you do....?

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
My mother works for State Farm (has for 30 years). I asked her about letting my agent know about upgrades and she said never do that. She said to save all your receipts for parts and labor and if you have an accident/theft, then produce the evidence and they have to replace at that value. She told me if I told them everything I was doing to my jeep that State Farm would drop me if I was most people, but because of my multi-line discount (home owners, fire, 2 automobiles), they'd run my rates up to the point I would probably leave anyways.

Fucking hate insurance.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mother works for State Farm (has for 30 years). I asked her about letting my agent know about upgrades and she said never do that. She said to save all your receipts for parts and labor and if you have an accident/theft, then produce the evidence and they have to replace at that value. She told me if I told them everything I was doing to my jeep that State Farm would drop me if I was most people, but because of my multi-line discount (home owners, fire, 2 automobiles), they'd run my rates up to the point I would probably leave anyways.

Fucking hate insurance.
Dave, I am starting too, really bad....I guess honesty was not the best policy, but I was afraid if I did not disclose stuff then they would not cover me...:pissed:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have told my agent about my mods, even went as far as to ask about wheeling incidents and they have told me there is no need to worry... i just had a minor accident where all the damage was caused by my stinger. no issues. no increase, no threats of non-renewal...
If you don't want to say, its no big deal, but which company are you with?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allstate was what my pops suggested, although he said he thought I would probably pay more to use them...but if they are going to cover me, then that is worth considering...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve always had AMICA and they have covered a couple of off-roading incidents with no questions.
ahh, good to hear...when this happened to me, I panicked a bit...wondered what I was going to do for insurance...

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Dude, I have an outfit in San Antonio. They replaced my trick axle, no question.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
USAA...as long as you have your receipts for insurance claims of anything added after factory purchase, they will include it in the insurance quotes for replacement!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have American Family with no issues and an extra $8,000 ryder that covers "All non stock parts and accessories". They did not ask about the actual mod, just the costs. They gave me the extra ryder and told me to keep my receipts.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
...that covers "All non stock parts and accessories". They did not ask about the actual mod, just the costs.
X2

I have AIG insurance and coverage for 10k of mods, no list of the mods was required. AIG auto insurance became 21st Century, which was just sold to Farmers.

·
Registered
827 Posts
X2

I have AIG insurance and coverage for 10k of mods, no list of the mods was required. AIG auto insurance became 21st Century, which was just sold to Farmers.
Do you pay more in your premium for the $10k in mods?

I have some people that owe me money on loans and are defaulting. I wonder if AIG will insure those?:laughing:

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
I've been with State Farm for over 20 years. There is no need to provide them with a list of mods, even if you do a hemi-swap. They don't require it.

As long as you can prove the cost of the mod and the mod was on the vehicle, they are good.

They also cover "off-road" accidents. You have to be on actual marked trails or somewhere where you have permission to be and not be in anything that resembles a competition.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm with Allstate- have had the same policy since 1983. I also have my home and 3 other cars on with Allstate.

Last year I called my agent about wheeling... Allstate covers ANY damage, as long as it was not caused while in competition. As my agent told me: Full Coverage means "full coverage", there is no difference between you damaging your Jeep while wheeling it, and another guy damaging his Jeep while driving to his hunting lease. In both cases it is a vehicle being used off road for recreational purposes. We don't care how the damage occurs.

My agent is also a wheeler, and has personally processed claims made from people wheeling. Plus he would never steer me wrong- he's been the agent of my cars and home for 25+ years.

He did inform me that ALL 4wd vehicles pay a higher premium because they know that a certain percentage of them will be wheeling them. Only a small percentage will actually wheel them. So the non-wheelers are paying a higher premium to cover those of us that do wheel :laughing:

He also had me send him a list of all my mods and pictures of my rig/mods to put into my file (for future claims if needed). The list does include the winch, and nothing at all was said about it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts