JKOwners Forum banner

If there were a hypothetical, JKO member ride planned,would you be interested?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not want to suggest or insinuate anything . This is simply out of curiosity when I ask you guys and gals if you would even consider attending a ride or event for JKOwners members.

Understand: There are no plans for jack-squat at this time.

No one but me has even considered ANYTHING on the topic , to my knowledge.

Let me repeat; there is truly - at this time- no topic or gathering at all which this pertains-to.

I was simply wondering to myself today if there were to be a ride or get-together planned for Summer or Fall of 2020,would people consider attending and what any of the criteria surrounding something like that might entail (geo-location, logistics, ride, safety, et.al).

This is not in any way sanctioned or related to the management of JKOwners or Pirate4x4 or verticalScope . This is j3ff3ry_j33p asking for your response to such a question only.

If there were a JKOwners gathering - for any reason - in Summer or Fall of 2020 would you consider attending?

What would some of the criteria be that would have to be in-place for you to make such a journey?
What is considered mid-point location-wise?
Is deciding such a thing even viable?

Would it be better suited for a centralized location, East or West coast?

I am just mulling around idears,gang.
Nothing more.

I will admit all the drama and sh*t lately has me sort of wanting some outside-the-box thinking for this place.

Maybe it's just that I sorta feel like someone needs to open a dang window in here, for sure.

As always, i appreciate and will enjoy all responses about this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A midpoint geographical location might be hard to achieve but a destination location is definitely achievable...where a place like Moab makes sense even for the east coasters who travel that way in droves every year not just for events like EJS. It provides a change of scenery for most and of course has great off-roading for all classes of OHVs. Basically I’m saying make it close to me so I can show up :smokin:

I’ll be in Moab this coming weekend actually, explored some last year and did Hell’s Revenge, looking to try some different trails this year and keep building up experience out there. But would really like to fall into a group of local (CO) off-roaders, definitely been pushing my luck going solo out here.

·
Registered
364 Posts
[QUOqTE=j3ff3ry_j33p;4461056]dang, I am getting sloppy, huh?
thanks, @Mason ![/QUOTE]

I always enjoy keeping leaders of groups accountable to their membership. The Magna Carta says that not even the king is above the law, and I’ll hold you to that J3ff. It just means that I care, about you, *no homo* and our fucked up community on here.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If I can get the time off I would be down for an adventure.

Guess I better start modifying my stock (outside of diff covers) jeep to keep up with the rest of you. 😎

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A midpoint geographical location might be hard to achieve but a destination location is definitely achievable...where a place like Moab makes sense even for the east coasters who travel that way in droves every year not just for events like EJS. It provides a change of scenery for most and of course has great off-roading for all classes of OHVs. Basically I’m saying make it close to me so I can show up :smokin:

I’ll be in Moab this coming weekend actually, explored some last year and did Hell’s Revenge, looking to try some different trails this year and keep building up experience out there. But would really like to fall into a group of local (CO) off-roaders, definitely been pushing my luck going solo out here.

holy mother of solo-runs, @hokiewest

..and, here I boast about 5 miserably lonely years of wheeling parks & properties around the S.East by myself was some type of thing to be sorta proud over, here you come saying you're hittin' Moab ,Utah solo to take on its known obstacles by yourself?!

I humbly bow to both your abilities and the same stupidity I possess, regardless of the skill or gear for safety , we have if we opt for trying our luck by crawling alone. I don't miss it. Actually , a fellow jko member noticed me going (bitching) about being solo & intro'ed me to his/the best offroad club around my part of the country which changed everything for the better. I got very lucky and am in a great,experienced family of die-hard ,hardcore trailriders that I call family. You gotta find a group to hang and go with.

at any rate, you have my respect ...I devised a fairly cool self spotting camera setup plus carried full recovery and chainsaw/lifesaving crap and even a helmet, but nothing beats a group w/ experience, you're right to seek that out. Maybe ask in here?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Unless you come to southern Arizona I wouldn't make it. Don't feel like punishing the jeep by driving it to Moab and then home again.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The non-existant location for this non-event sounds like a non-starter.
I'd say you've hit the mark. :D
Where is more of a question than when. I can say yes to just about any date, but I wouldn't drive to Utah...the Appalachians offer plenty enough for this Yankee, for now.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I was halfway between "would consider" and "undecided", so I defaulted to "bacon" :thefinger:

In theory, it'd be great but, due to limited time off (and other weak excuses), I really doubt I'd do a multi-day road trip for it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it'd work much better as 2 separate eastern or western u.s. events

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I think it'd work much better as 2 separate eastern or western u.s. events
I agree.

I'm limited to pretty much the SE corner of the country. It's 11 hours straight North just to get to AOP for me.

If traction picks up on event or no event, maybe a secondary, location poll is in order.

·
Registered
39 Posts
holy mother of solo-runs, @hokiewest

..and, here I boast about 5 miserably lonely years of wheeling parks & properties around the S.East by myself was some type of thing to be sorta proud over, here you come saying you're hittin' Moab ,Utah solo to take on its known obstacles by yourself?!

I humbly bow to both your abilities and the same stupidity I possess, regardless of the skill or gear for safety , we have if we opt for trying our luck by crawling alone. I don't miss it. Actually , a fellow jko member noticed me going (bitching) about being solo & intro'ed me to his/the best offroad club around my part of the country which changed everything for the better. I got very lucky and am in a great,experienced family of die-hard ,hardcore trailriders that I call family. You gotta find a group to hang and go with.

at any rate, you have my respect ...I devised a fairly cool self spotting camera setup plus carried full recovery and chainsaw/lifesaving crap and even a helmet, but nothing beats a group w/ experience, you're right to seek that out. Maybe ask in here?

Moab is great for stragglers, I was able to tag along with others (even one other that was solo/shared stupidness) hitting the trail on both occasions last year, looking to do the same this weekend. But yes I need to fall into an off-road group so I can stop avoiding the harder trails here in CO.

Dual locations seems to be popular...can probably take a wild stab where my vote would be for the western region ride :dustin:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree.

I'm limited to pretty much the SE corner of the country. It's 11 hours straight North just to get to AOP for me.

If traction picks up on event or no event, maybe a secondary, location poll is in order.
I think that AOP would be great for the eastern event as it is 14 hours south for me, and 11 North for you.

I could try to get Matti to commit to a 2020 date, but he will likely bitch out just like every time I try to get him to wheel locally on crown land which is free to ride on.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless you come to southern Arizona I wouldn't make it. Don't feel like punishing the jeep by driving it to Moab and then home again.

Well, I for one learned how awesome + carefree one can experience trails when you've transported the Jeep to wherever. Sure it's towing a station wagon but it's a stationwagon that I don't have to worry about getting me home anymore. My days of being all about " dual purpose Jeep" went out window w/ my 1st tow to the trailhead ride.

I need to trade my Unlimited for a 2 door....
but I'd tow her out , Gunny.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that AOP would be great for the eastern event as it is 14 hours south for me, and 11 North for you.

I could try to get Matti to commit to a 2020 date, but he will likely bitch out just like every time I try to get him to wheel locally on crown land which is free to ride on.

This , Adventure Off-road Park or Superlift Off Road Park in
Hot Springs ,Ak would be my central of country sggstns.

The only alternative I thought of - for a central location - would be Holy Cross trail system in S.Central Colorado. It maybe too difficult for this type of gathering,tho....

Good feedback so far ...I think this would be cool.

What about a West and East Coast pair of get together , joined by live streams ? Too much , I know ...I dream big and nerdy....

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree.

did not know AOP was that far from you ,dude. Still, if any park is worth that drive time , it'd be AOP...it's the best.

Wolf Caves in Texas is pretty popular but I think that'd be a haul for anyone not in Texas . Even some of them it'd take half a day just to drive across that state it's so vast.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts