JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 07' JK 4-Door "X" 6spd dual top. I will have roughly $3500 to spend on this by the end of August (maybe sooner) and I would like to know what for lift would be okay for 37's. I have looked at Tera-Flex's Tera-Flex JK 3" Lift and I would like to go with some 37's from Treadwright Treadwright 37's Ultra grip MT's and put them on some MT Classic Locks Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheels. I think I can do all of this for $3000-$3500.

My question is, will this particular lift be sufficent for running these tires and wheels or should I look at something different? I know I will need to re-gear to 5.13's but how soon will I need to do this too? I know these have been answered before and I DID use the search before I posted this so I am sorry if this upsets anyone. Thanks in advance.

Todd

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Welcome to the forum Todd.

You will need at least 4 inches of lift to clear 37's and you could still have some minor rubbing. Unless you get some tube fenders or Xenon flairs, then you should be able to clear the 37's with 3 inches of lift. :beer:

Oh, and you'll probably want to go to the 5.13's as soon as you can, it'll feel pretty low on power on 37's without them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your gear ratio is 3.73 I think so it is going to suck with 37's especially in a 4dr. You also would want closer to a 4in lift but with that you will need driveshafts if not right away, eventually. Thw wheels and tires alone are going to cost you around 2000 plus another 1650 for lift kit plus 400 per driveshaft if you want to change them now plus install plus spacer for spare tire plus shocks. Probably looking closer to 4500 if you install it yourself. 5200 if you have somebody do it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the info I was looking for. I will keep on pricing and maybe I will hold off on buying anything until I have enough $$$ to do the lift, wheels, tires, and re-gear.

If I were to go with 35's the 3" would be okay but I really like the idea of 37's. What 4"-4.5" lifts are out there that are okay but won't break the bank? I would say that I would be wheeling this rig maybe every other weekend so I don't need a kit that is going to cost $3k. For the most part this will be my DD but I want it to be a capable off-road vehicle too. Thanks again.

Todd

·
Registered
913 Posts
x2 -- Don't do the tires first. Yeah they look pretty, however to go with 37's straight away its going to cost ya a pretty penny having to regear and lift. I would do my research ask people who have 37's what their set up is. The pro's and con's anything they would do different. Start with the perfect lift for 37's and work from there. They are a whole different breed if you do it right... Good luck and post up pics after your done :beer:

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I'm partial to my kit, as most of us are to the lifts we have, haha. I have the Currie kit, it runs about 1900 plus 400 if you go with the 11in travel rancho shocks. It's 5.5 in front and about 3.5 in the rear and easily clears 37's. I've been running 35's tho, plan to go to 37's when these wear out. Each kit has their own ups and down, so it really comes down to how much money you want to spend, and what you want out of it. If you you aren't going to be doing hardcore stuff you may want to keep an open mind about your tire size, just my two cents.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm partial to my kit, as most of us are to the lifts we have, haha. I have the Currie kit, it runs about 1900 plus 400 if you go with the 11in travel rancho shocks. It's 5.5 in front and about 3.5 in the rear and easily clears 37's. I've been running 35's tho, plan to go to 37's when these wear out. Each kit has their own ups and down, so it really comes down to how much money you want to spend, and what you want out of it. If you you aren't going to be doing hardcore stuff you may want to keep an open mind about your tire size, just my two cents.
I looked at this Currie Kit before JK 4.5" Package Deal. It is about $2500 and that is about the max I would like to spend on a lift right now. I do have access to some 35" MT's that are used with about 50% tread so I could go that route and when it is time to replace then go to the 37's. In the mean time I can get it re-geared with 5.13's. Right now I say I won't be doing anything REAL hardcore but the future is very unpredicable!!!!!:D

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I looked at this Currie Kit before JK 4.5" Package Deal. It is about $2500 and that is about the max I would like to spend on a lift right now. I do have access to some 35" MT's that are used with about 50% tread so I could go that route and when it is time to replace then go to the 37's. In the mean time I can get it re-geared with 5.13's. Right now I say I won't be doing anything REAL hardcore but the future is very unpredicable!!!!!:D
I've heard nothing but good things about Claytons kit. I'd jump on those 35's - 35's and stock gears are livable while you work on getting geared. I've been holding off on gearing waiting for Alloy to release their 5.38's.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That Clayton kit looks nice. I can attest to the Bilsteins being a great shock, they make up for the design flaws I have to live with in my Full Traction kit.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Clayton is now one of two kits I'm looking at but in the 3.5" range.

I talked to them and there is very little advantage to a LA kit. The arms are longer than the previous generation in the first place so you are not gaining to much more by the LA. AEV also had engineers saying the same thing that the LA is not necessary for a JK but it is for the older models.

I'm liking the Clayton company as they really help me understand the gearing and Adam is who I dealt with. The guy was extremely knowledgable and is very active in the installations. You should give them a ring to talk it through if 4.5" is the way you go.

Redrock is a vendor here and I see they have the 4.5" complete kit for 2050.00 without shocks or with for another 400.00. That's a really nice deal if shipping is included.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clayton is now one of two kits I'm looking at but in the 3.5" range.

I talked to them and there is very little advantage to a LA kit. The arms are longer than the previous generation in the first place so you are not gaining to much more by the LA. AEV also had engineers saying the same thing that the LA is not necessary for a JK but it is for the older models.

I'm liking the Clayton company as they really help me understand the gearing and Adam is who I dealt with. The guy was extremely knowledgable and is very active in the installations. You should give them a ring to talk it through if 4.5" is the way you go.

Redrock is a vendor here and I see they have the 4.5" complete kit for 2050.00 without shocks or with for another 400.00. That's a really nice deal if shipping is included.
Good info here...

I will check into it and I am a firm believer that you support your own first so if Redrock has them and the price is equal then he is the man!!!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts