JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
300 3"-5" Channel Catfish to my pond. I made a safe area using a minnow seine so they have protection from all the bass. I love catfish fillets and personally I think they fight well too and are not as picky as bass so the kids likt to fish them as well. I figure with pulling a few bass out and adding the cats (as well as putting some baby bream in the cat area to feed up and grow) I may be able to reballance the pond and get a few bigger bass. The cats will predate on the bass eggs reducing the reproduction of the bass thus preventing more from reaching a size the bigger bass can not eat while still helping to control the bream. Also they eat feed so I can grow them by feeding while feeding the bream as well and adding nutrients to the water for the lower part of the food chain. All of this will boost the growth potential of my pond. Oh yeah while cutting the pond edge back I found a black electric cord sticking in the pond I could not fish out. So when I was making the catfish corral (while wading/swimming got the bottom is uneven and has severe drops) I followed the cord and it was an pump that had fallen over and still had the piping attached. Better yet when I got all dried out and tried it it works. Now I need to figure the best place to put it and build a floating platform to hold it up then anchor it in place. This would prevent mud and debris from clogging the pump while also not sucking up bad stuff from the bottom and causing more problems.
Life is good and I'm having fun. (Still waiting to see the snake agian.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I can picture you sitting on an old torn up couch with a bamboo fishing pole, corncob pipe, mason jar of moonshine, barefoot and fast a sleep. ha ha ha

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
i would kindly request sir that you post some pics of this pond and fish, as i am extremely jealous that you have a pond on your property,

by the way just planned a trip to the green river the first weekend in november to catch monster trout on tiny flies:bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
159 Posts
About 7 years ago we dropped in some 3-5" channel cats in the three lakes at our ranch. We are starting to Pull 25# cats out now! Good times. I haven't noticed an increase or decrease in Bass size, but we always had a healthy Large Mouth population.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My Grandad had 3 stocked ponds on his farm when I was growing up. I don't know which I enjoyed more, feeding the fish, or fishing for the fish!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my well thought out plan may have backfired. I caught a couple of bass with a catfish tail sticking out of their gullet over the past two days. Somehow my "pen" did not work as well as I thought. I decided to pull it out of the water and I am hoping that out of the 300 some survive but hey who knows?
As far as pictures go I have been working on the house, yard, and pond quite a bit and have not had time to take pics (besides the wife said no pics till it is all done). In fact I barely have had time to relax however when I do it is with a rod in hand. Also the pond is not very photogenic right now as it is still a bit overgrown especially the back side and due to it being longer than it is wide hard to get in one shot. Also the water is low but since a lot of people are curious I will have to take a few and post them if I can get away with it.
BTW Rupe in a year or two when I got it all done the way I want it around here I may just take the corncob and moonshine route but for now there is too much work to be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts