JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Juniper Wilderness Trail is part of the Florida Trail, and the segment is about 9 miles long. I am going this Saturday morning (approximately 8:30). The hike will be at the very least 9 miles. Anyone who wants to go is welcome.

If I go by myself, the hike will be at least 12 miles, which is a round trip to Hidden Pond.

Here's info on Juniper Springs Park and the trail:

Rec.Gov link

Some info on the park and trail

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Man, keep postin these hikes, I'm down for one, just not this weekend. Got a ride in the works :thefinger:

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Id go but I work Saturdays (and it's jeepfest this weekend). My only advice: Ocala is the tick capital of the world. Watch out for them. Last time I did that hike we had to stop and de-tick about 4 or 5 times.

Oh and if you go to wash yourself that night and notice a tick attached to your nut sack - dont panic, it comes off easy but spin it as you pull it off. You dont want the head to remain.

Ask me how I know this lol....

(we otta do a night hike at some point - that'd be fun).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Id go but I work Saturdays (and it's jeepfest this weekend). My only advice: Ocala is the tick capital of the world. Watch out for them. Last time I did that hike we had to stop and de-tick about 4 or 5 times.

Oh and if you go to wash yourself that night and notice a tick attached to your nut sack - dont panic, it comes off easy but spin it as you pull it off. You dont want the head to remain.

Ask me how I know this lol....

(we otta do a night hike at some point - that'd be fun).
Just get one of them tick pullers dude, they rock :thefinger:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I was serious!
You can't tell me that wouldn't burn like a sum***** :bounce:

I remember years ago my step-dad thought it would be a great idea to put lighter fluid on some baaaad chiggers. :hot::nuke::hot::nuke::hot::nuke::hot:

That was some of the funniest **** I ever saw. He ended up in the hospital :thefinger: I hated that mf'er. :laughing:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hike is tomorrow morning, and is open to anyone who wants to go.

Reply by 4:30 or I'll assume I'm going solo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The weather forecast doesn't look too good. I'm going anyways. I'll leave in about an hour.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I'm back. GPS Stats: The round trip was right at 12 miles, from Juniper Springs to Hidden Pond and back. 6 hours, overall average 2mph, actual moving average for the first half was 4.5mph and 3mph on the return trip. What happened to the overall average speed? Water, 1-3' high all over the place, made the trail go bye bye. Lots of pathfinding going on. Also, on the return trip, a big storm decided to hammer the whole area for the duration.

No damn pics because I forgot the batteries that I set to charge the night before; so, camera no workey.

All was going cool, until the first 2' deep stretch of water hiding the trail. 15 minutes later, crossing a creek that was up past my knees. After that, lots of water-wading until the beginning climb up the "Hill Top".

EMBRACE THE F-ING SUCK!!!

Boots turned into 20lb fish tanks, slowly rotting my feet away. So, basically, after that first water crossing, I would stop, take off the boots, remove the insoles, and POUR OUT THE WATER, then remove the socks, WRING OUT THE WATER, and tie them to the outside of my pack to semi-dry. The pack, by the way, was 30lbs. What the hell for? I like to carry unnecessary **** all the time. Back to the sequence. Once my feet were dry, I'd don sock pair 2, while sock pair 1 is semi-drying. My feet would feel good for about 5 minutes, and then I'd have to go through some more water, or water would magically fill up the boots.

I'm admitting this kicked my ass...until I became...angry...and got the f*ck out of there. I get to the bottom of Hill Top, which is just after a cool creek crossing, and I finally start to feel the impact of this little adventure.

I climb the hill, and go down the other side, and go around a bend, and there it is...Hidden Pond...with a f*cking naked, fat, old man standing calf-deep in the water. He turns to me, surprised to see someone I guess. He's standing in the pond naked, pumping a water filter, filling up a water bottle. WTF? People do retarded **** when they think nobody is looking. I already saw everything, and I don't care. I'm going to go sit on that log and rest. Do whatever the hell you're doing; I'm not watching. Whatever...

He kept talking to me from the pond, about the weather, the trails, camping, etc. He yells back to his camp, to tell his wife there are people around, to get decent. He also wanted his pants, which he had to yell for like 4 times. She...the cellulite queen of Hidden f*cking Pond...finally comes out of the camp. Apparently, DECENT meant a see-through loin cloth-Native American f*cking underwear looking get up. She says I look familiar, and asks if I've been here before.

Time to go. I collected my **** and soggy feet and left the way I came.

I get half way up Hill Top and I'm wore out. I feel like passing out, so I found a log and laid down for about 15 minutes.

Now the storm decides to attack. You know what? I don't even give a ****. I put my pack cover on and moved out. The thunderstorm brought with it some cool-cold rain, and I felt better.

I started repeating the mantra, "The rain-god is a *****" to myself and picked up the pace to 3-3.5mph for most of the return trip. I still had to keep doing the truffle shuffle with my socks/boots/feet. Once I got past the last water crossing, I planned to do the truffle shuffle one more time, and put on my 3rd pair of (dry) socks. It never stopped raining, so to hell with that. I kept on going.

This **** sucked a fat baby's dick.

So, who wants to go next time?:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No pics for proof, but you can have all the waypoints I plotted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts