JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post here very often, but I figured I should....maybe I can get some more waves! :bounce:

Anyways, I wanted to share with everybody my build!

I didn't have a formal build thread so I thought I would make one from start to finish (or well to where I am currently). That I can update along the way!

It all started when I decided to sell my 2006 BMW X5 Dinan S1.

After selling it I decided I wanted a JKU. I started looking for a Rubicon but when I started looking the used car market was rather slim and dealers wouldn't budge on new Rubicons, even $50!

Driving around one day, I came across this semi-beauty at the time. (Way too much Chrome for me and those wheels have to go!)A 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X.

Quickly after that I took off the chrome wheels and purchased some Black Rock wheels and A/T tires. Not knowing anything about Jeeps, I bought basically 31'' tires! After buying rims and tires I decided to go off-roading for my first time ever!

I learned 2 big mistakes that day.
1) Never go alone
2) If you go alone, you better have some type of recovery gear.

I got stuck in a giant mud hole, mud seeped all the way into the Jeep. The mud ate my iPhone and Digital Camera. Luckily I found some locals to come pull me out. They said: "This must be your first time out here, because everybody knows better than to drive through that hole."

Here's a photo of the Jeep after I got back home from that expedition.

After some convincing to the wife she let me get a lift! So, it was time to get surgical on the Jeep!

In the end I added a Full Traction 3'' Economy Lift, JKS Rear Track Bar, and Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks. Here's a shot of my Jeep after the lift (still on 31's) against a friends JKU which has a Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift and 35'' Coopers.

It was time to get new tires. Since I bought a lift, the wife wouldn't let me go out and spend big bucks on tires. So, after some shopping around I found a set of 4 37'' Goodyear MTR's (old style) for $300 that had a little less than 50% tread left.

Surprising to me the Jeep ran well with stock 4.10 gears!

In the meantime I went out wheeling a few times!

Decided to add a little bit of armor to my diffs!

Out playing a few more times!

Then another miracle happened. The wife let me spend some more money on the Jeep!

So, I added: New 37'' Goodyear MTR/K's, LoD Shorty Front Bumper with Stinger, LoD Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Warn M8000, Teraflex 1'' Coil Spacers Front and Rear.

I still have some goodies left to install which I just haven't had time to get to! They are a Cobra 75 (and other accessories that go with CBs), Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Switch Panel (with switches), LightForce240's. Plus I have to still wire up my rear LoD tail lights.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks Great!!

Are you sure you have 4.10 Gears?? Rubicons came with 4.10 I believe yours are 3.21 gears. No Matter Looks Great!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Good looking rig.

Bummer on the stuck. Don't go out alone, even with recovery gear. Way too many non-communication spots up here and sketchy weather. IMO

Hope to see you on the trails soon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks Great!!

Are you sure you have 4.10 Gears?? Rubicons came with 4.10 I believe yours are 3.21 gears. No Matter Looks Great!
Yep! 4.10 gears, I believe it was a $50 or $75 upgrade for the 2007's! It says it on the build sheet! :bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
37 Posts
thats a cheap upgrade to bad they dont offer 5.38 for that lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good lookin Jeep!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
sweet build! my wife was just starting to give me the ok to do things to Vanna, my JKU.... and then my fogs went out, a/c line blew and the JK started overheating.... needless to say the money i spent on fixing her at the dlr was the money i was allowed to spend on her for upgrades haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet build! my wife was just starting to give me the ok to do things to Vanna, my JKU.... and then my fogs went out, a/c line blew and the JK started overheating.... needless to say the money i spent on fixing her at the dlr was the money i was allowed to spend on her for upgrades haha
Yea it happens. I had do pay for a transmission rebuild a couple of months ago.......that chunk of change set me back a little..:pissed:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts