JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else effected by the tornado from yesterday that hit Joplin MO? Officially said it was an EF4 and so far 116 dead. My prayers go out to everyone who has lost family as well as homes. The wife and I are some of the few lucky ones in Joplin that didn't suffer any damage. walked around town today trying to help any way that we could. Cleaning debris, digging for belongings, any way we could help. one of the worst things I have ever been apart of in my life. truley sad.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Governor of Joplin just said 17 people have been found alive In more than 35% of the towns buildings have been destroyed. It's amazing that 17 have been found alive and 116 declared dead. That means there is still hope!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
The pics and videos are incredible. Reminds me of Galveston after Ike. I thought that I heard something like 75% of Joplin is gone/ destroyed....(?)

Very glad that you and your family are okay.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
I'm glad you are ok Josh. When I heard the news this morning my heart dropped.

I've been through a few hurricanes, hence why I don't live on the coast where I'm from. It is an amazing and unexplainable feeling to see your friends, your neighbors, and the people you never knew would hold you in a time of need come together after something like this.

Do what you can to help and please let me/us know if we can do anything to ease the pain for your community.

My heart goes out to your town and my thoughts are with you brother.

Marcus

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
I'm glad you are ok Josh. When I heard the news this morning my heart dropped.

I've been through a few hurricanes, hence why I don't live on the coast where I'm from. It is an amazing and unexplainable feeling to see your friends, your neighbors, and the people you never knew would hold you in a time of need come together after something like this.

Do what you can to help and please let me/us know if we can do anything to ease the pain for your community.

My heart goes out to your town and my thoughts are with you brother.

Marcus
:beer: X2. How true that is, Marcus.

I'm offering my help as well. I also would like to think that we have enough empathy to offer up any help that we can as a Jeep community. Please let us know if there is anything that JKO members can do. I know that we have a lot of people that understand the magnitude of this disaster, and would be more than willing to help. A wave of JKO contributions, supplies, care packages, etc would be pretty cool. jmo

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone about your comments and prayers. The tornado is definatley the worst thing that I have ever been apart of in my life. so many people have lost everything! they said today on the radio that 35% of Joplin is gone but more than 20,000 buildings and houses are gone. Will try and post some first person pics from the wife's iPhone tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'm deploying in the morning with Team Rubicon (nothing to do with Jeeps) to help out with recovery and clean up efforts.

www.teamrubiconusa.org

YouTube - ‪Team Rubicon Genesis Video‬‏

Those that aren't in the area, or are unable to volunteer their time can still help out. Contact your local Red Cross and Salvation Army to find out what is needed. Don't forget, you can also donate blood. There is a lot of work to.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad you guys made it through it okay. I grew up an hour west of Joplin and have seen the aftermath of a few small tornadoes but can't imagine what you all are going through. Stay safe.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Having just been through a batch of tornados here in north Bama on April 27th, I feel for the people of Joplin. I know first-hand the complete devastation that these forces of nature can create. I was 25 yards from one that came through Hunstville in '89. And just a few miles from the ones that came through here in April.

Glad to hear that the OP made it through without any loss of life or property.

x2 on helping out where you can. I know the Red Cross did (and still is doing) an amazing job here with the relief efforts.
We had been working all day trying to clean up the debris that was left of my BIL's house. Seeing that red and white truck pull up with hot food, cold water, and a comforting word was very inspiring.

Definitely post up if you need anything, or if we can help in any way.

AMP

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are just a few pics that the wife took with the iphone as we were driving around yesterday helping out anyone that we could. just like some of the other people have said if you're not local and you're wanting to help here is a link to the united ways web site that they have posted up

www.uwheartmo.org . joplin isn't out of the water yet, we are expecting more severe thunderstorms that could possibly produce more tornadoes this afternoon into this evening. i just pray that it's nothing as severe as they are forecasting..

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry for not resizing. :shaking::beer:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Sounds like resizing is the least of Joplin's problems. No worries there. Glad you are safe.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
X2 on the re-sizing. It was actually even more incredible and devastating to slowly scroll across and see the complete destruction.

Still approx 1,180 still unaccounted for??? I thought they said 118 dead and 10x that still unaccounted for.....

Very sad.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very sad indeed. on the upside they have found 17 alive in the rubble. so there is still hope. when we were walking the streets yesterday someone had wrote in the mud on a garage door "HOPE" that's the theme around town at the moment. just hope mother nature doesn't fuck with that hope tonight when this new storm sysstem comes thru. for some people that's all they are holding onto is the idea that even though they have lost their homes or family members that there is still hope that they will find people still alive! prayers go out to everyone! :beer:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
obtw in the 3rd picture that i posted up, that is what is left of the joplin high school. totally gone! :beer:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Prayers going out to you guys and you families, we're suppost to have a rough hurricane season down here this year...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i was watching nightline last night and they were doing tornados by the numbers. they said we had 24 minutes to take cover wich is 10 mins longer than average..? and then during the week mon-fri theres on average of 270,000 people in joplin for work and shopping and whatever. on sunday that drops down to 49k. so just think how many would be missing and how much more terrible it would've been if the tornado hit either on friday or on monday? really horrible to think about. :beer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts