JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm on here looking for advice...I've spoken with family and friends, etc., but I'm still struggling with recent events that have transpired.

I am an attorney who graduated last year and is certified to practice law in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. (Please save any lawyer-bashing jokes, I'm one of the good ones...) I have been unemployed now for several months. I passed both bar exams a couple months ago and I have been volunteering with a large municipal law department for the past 5 months or so. The experience is something I really need at this point in my career.

So I went on a job interview about 2 weeks ago and it could not have gone better. It was for a separate division within the municipal law department where I now volunteer, and it was staffed by 3 attorneys. 1 attorney was the lead guy and the other 2 work beneath him. I began the interview with the lead attorney and it could not have possibly gone better. We hit it off, I was sharing with him the goals I had while working with his office, we discussed the duties of the position, etc. He then took me to speak with the 2 other attorneys in the office, and again, it could not have gone better. We had a great conversation between the 3 of us and I was discussing how much I would enjoy working there, they were sharing their likes and dislikes about the job, and all went as well as it could possibly go.

Earlier this week I found out the lead attorney had called several of my references. I took this as a good sign.

I got a rejection letter in the mail over the weekend and it's really fucked with me in a bad way. I've gone on a lot of interviews over these past few months while unemployed, but none felt as solid as this felt. And even the past rejection letters I've gotten have not stung like this. So what gives? I feel like quitting volunteering, and really re-evaluating what I want to do with my life. It sounds crazy, but I've always wanted to be an attorney. Now, its getting harder and harder to justify my career ambitions. I've been told not to give up, and quite frankly, I am not a quitter so although I've thought about throwing in the towel, its not really a realistic option. I've been through some hard times in my life, but this is really testing me. I can't stand not being able to provide for my family.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Sucks man. That's a tough pill. Join the military earn some money and get experience while at it. Just throwing that option out there as another avenue.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
I know this will sound cliche' and rhetorical.

"Everything happens for a reason. In time, it all works out the way it is supposed to be..."

I have been there at several points in my life. Feeling like things are down, I'm chasing an empty dream, etc. Then, wham, something good happens and turns it all around. Funny thing about it is that I never felt that way before I met my Wife. I was a pessimistic bastage! She finally got me thinking this way and she was right.

Think about it, without sadness, would happiness taste as sweet. Would success be exciting without some degree of failure to keep us grounded? You're in a down cycle, it will swing up.

In the meantime, count your blessings such as health, friends, family and let the rest roll out in front of you as you make your way. :beer::beer:

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
things go in cycles man. and now is your not so good one, but it has to get better, right? i have 1 friend who is a lawyer and does nice for himself, but says he lucked into the job. 2 other friends who just graduated and are looking hard without much success. and a buddy of my wife is still in school and knows she is gonna have a tough time finding something.

1 thing they all have in common is volunteer work and basically networking in general. you have to get your name out there and meet some contacts.

when i graduated i could only find 1 job in the town i live in within the physical therapy field, but about 6 months later i was getting to know people and job offers started coming in from all directions.

IMO, and i know it aint fun, but i think the volunteering will pay off for you hopefully sooner than later. good luck:beer:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sucks getting dumped after the first date.

Did the letter mention why they didn't hire you?

If you are searching for a new direction, fast, look into paid search advertising. HUGE demand for account managers.

Basically, you advertise websites on Google. I went to school for visual effects and 3d animation, then the job market dried up. I was working in PPC within weeks of graduating. PM me if you have any questions.

Adwords Info

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I guess I'm on here looking for advice...
This is where the larger issue lies..:)

Good luck and no doubt that things will work out. Completely agree with the above replies.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
have you tried foreclosures? thats the route my girl went...she started out in law & justice...now shes doing foreclosures...sucks to be the bearer of bad news to people but it pays well and seems somewhat stable

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
In all fairness Stub, he actually has gotten decent advice so far. Odd as that may seem...
Very much kidding...as stated...good advice given.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Contact the lead attorney and ask him what was the deciding factor not to hire you. Do it in a way that he understands that you want to know to see if there is something you need to improve upon. They might have found another attorney with more experience.

Good luck in the job search!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would agree with BigMike. Since you seemed to have a good meeting with the Lead, and he checked your references, my guess would be it was one of two things:

1) One of your references screwed you. (You'd be amazed at how often this happens...)
2) Someone higher-up the food chain made the decision to hire someone else. Senior Partners seldom DO the hiring, but they seldom don't interfere...

In either case, he'll probably be willing to share what he believes held you back if you approach it in the proper manner.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i got rejected for a few jobs and got accepted for some seemingly identical ones when i was just out of college. you cant take it personally. sometimes the 'fix' is in and they already know who theyre going to hire - sometimes theyre not hiring at all...

ive been in the legal field (criminal side) for a long time. all i can say is - get some sort of position as an attorney to fill time slots on your resume and get some experience. try to be a asst prosecutor for a small jurisdiction if necessary. sit easy in that job until you find something better for you.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I would agree with BigMike. Since you seemed to have a good meeting with the Lead, and he checked your references, my guess would be it was one of two things:

1) One of your references screwed you. (You'd be amazed at how often this happens...)
2) Someone higher-up the food chain made the decision to hire someone else. Senior Partners seldom DO the hiring, but they seldom don't interfere...

In either case, he'll probably be willing to share what he believes held you back if you approach it in the proper manner.
100% agree. Approach the lead and have an open mind. Ask for honesty as much as they can share.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Probably already had someone else in mind. But they went through the motions.
Besides, right now they are getting the milk for free.

I have 3 words for you. Securities Exchange Commission. They are the highest paid government lawyers in the country. Higher than DOJ. They are the only division that pays comparable to private sector corporate business attorneys. Plus you get to bust a lot of nasty bass turds.
One case my brother worked on.recovered $40 million for investors in a fraud scheme.
Check the SEC web site.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.